The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

A permanent striker you say?

Mengabus anyone?

As much as we all laugh and joke about Menga signing would he actually be any good? Seemingly had a few worldie games for livingston and the rest of the time he was anonymous. Plus only scored 2 goals in 28 appearances....

Drinan on a permanent anyone........i mean he is from Ireland, west coast of Scotland will be slightly closer to home.

Absolute scenes if we were to pay a fee for Drinan and get him in on a two year deal.

Loan next week will be GK from Southampton and permanent will be Drinan, putting my neck on the line and calling it now.

36 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Turns out we stole Jack Baird from right under the nose of Morton.

We. Are. Massive. 

“We agreed a deal in principle with Jack (Baird), I thought it was done but he wanted a longer deal, which we were unable to offer.” David Hopkin on Jack Baird.

59 minutes ago, rb123! said:

“We agreed a deal in principle with Jack (Baird), I thought it was done but he wanted a longer deal, which we were unable to offer.” David Hopkin on Jack Baird.

fuck your rules GIF by FirstAndMonday

Edited by Trogdor

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

I’m quite excited to see what we add next week now. Sounds like it’ll be a striker and a GK to finish off the starting XI and a couple loans over the following weeks to beef out the squad.

Yeah, our business has been tidy thus far.

If the goalie and striker are the same calibre as recent signings, we're going to have some team. Feels a bit odd to be feeling so confident right enough. 🤫

1 hour ago, North British said:

For the activity in this window the board and the management team deserve a huge amount of credit . 

Absolutely, the astonishing thing is they have done this in less money than McCall spent last season , and that’s including the incoming permanent player , just proves it’s not all about money , that’s 3 signings who were offered more money elsewhere decided to come to us , some players showing they still have ambition and trust what our management team are telling them 

Edited by Robbo63

9 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Absolutely, the astonishing thing is they have done this in less money than McCall spent last season , and that’s including the incoming permanent player , just proves it’s not all about money , that’s 3 signings who were offered more money elsewhere decided to come to us , some players showing they still have ambition and trust what our management team are telling them 

Yeah it's really encouraging. Mark & Mick deserve the plaudits. 

I think its a security thing as well. The club standing by our players through furlough and topping up wages shows that we will look after our players. So when offering longer contracts than others it must be a factor for prospective players even when offering less per week.

ETA - I renamed Mick Mark there!

Edited by Trogdor

17 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Intrigued to see who the permanent player is, doubt it's Menga, Stephen McGinn & Stefan Scougall are the most glaringly obvious free agents atm but both midfielders which i would be surprised if we signed another player of that calibre for the middle of the park. Expecting anymore midfielders to be loanees.

Ofc this permenant signing could be like Baird and about to get released from his current club so if in that case who knows who it'll be.

Edited by rb123!

3 hours ago, rb123! said:

As much as we all laugh and joke about Menga signing would he actually be any good? Seemingly had a few worldie games for livingston and the rest of the time he was anonymous. Plus only scored 2 goals in 28 appearances....

Drinan on a permanent anyone........i mean he is from Ireland, west coast of Scotland will be slightly closer to home.

Absolute scenes if we were to pay a fee for Drinan and get him in on a two year deal.

Loan next week will be GK from Southampton and permanent will be Drinan, putting my neck on the line and calling it now.

I can only remember Menga from his goal against Rangers, oh and his name being Dolly! 

Drinan, as I’ve stated before I’m ambivalent if we get him or not. Personally I feel we need an out and out goalscorer. With Moffat no longer being the goal machine he was, I don’t think Drinan is the answer 

3 hours ago, rb123! said:

We are in a transition year with the proposed ownership change next summer. We won't, and shouldn't, be giving out any 2 year deals.

It's biting us, but that's the situation we are in.

9 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Would covid not be a factor in this with wages being squeezed down and getting a steady contract hard at the minute? 

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

’m quite excited to see what we add next week now. Sounds like it’ll be a striker and a GK to finish off the starting XI and a couple loans over the following weeks to beef out the squad.

If Kerr chooses to bring in a keeper as his permanent signing on say a two year deal , it would mean our defence and keeper would be together for the next couple of seasons . This would allow them to bed in as a unit and could only stand us in good stead . Although an Aero and Baird combo in central defence would be to say the least abrasive.

Hopefully if a striker comes in it’s Drinam . We can do without a two goals a season show pony .

Now onto the loans as fillers bit , it would be strange for clubs to put they’re young players out on loans to Ayr on a development basis when we are of the thinking that they’ll be used as cover or to beef up the squad . So maybe the loans will be mature players who are no longer in the plans at their clubs . Who knows , Mark and Mick are pretty hard to read .....

Just realised that we've binned the reserve squad for this season, explains more why Ecrepont was sent out on loan.

What's happening with all the players who were in the reserve squad last season, have they been released or they going out on loan?

Just realised that we've binned the reserve squad for this season, explains more why Ecrepont was sent out on loan.

What's happening with all the players who were in the reserve squad last season, have they been released or they going out on loan?

I think a lot of them will go out out loan with the older ones like Leon Murphy being released.

Hopefully 1 or 2 of them will be kept at the club and used this season.

I think a lot of them will go out out loan with the older ones like Leon Murphy being released.

Hopefully 1 or 2 of them will be kept at the club and used this season.
Is this permanent having no reserve squad or is it just for this year. Wouldn't have thought it sits with Kerrs plan of bringing through youth to then not even having a reserve squad