The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I just mentioned on the match thread. I felt it worth repeating here:

If you want to be cold hearted - ie points make prizes & results over performances. We are 1.5 points down on where we would expect to be using 2018/19 as the benchmark. We should be averaging 1.5 points per game for 4th. Thus we should have 13.5 points but we have 12. Incidentally, beat Morton on Tuesday and we're back on that benchmark again. 

There is no doubt we are underpeforming. Jettisoning Kerr at this stage would be an error, they are his players so he deserves to be given the chance to turn it round. This is a streaky league. Hopefully we can do a bit of surgery on the squad in January and kick on.

24 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Issue there is Baird, Houston, Reading and Muirhead are all signed up for next season. Roscoe is the only defender out of contract. 

Was it them two imposters in the middle of the part as we sunk to a Boxing Day (I think) defeat to Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill. 

Players do not need to stay simply because they are under contract, we just need to find some chump club to take Baird. 

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

What you say is correct though, we're sitting where many expected us to be and I'm also sure where Lachlan expected us as well, so in that regard Kerr is fulfilling his end of the contract plus he got us through the Betfred section so nothing bad at all.

This was the scenario when Roberts was manager, set a target of mediocrity and a baseline of relegation that triggers an extension. 

We haven't been out of the play-off positions since we were promoted up until last week and now we have won one point out of 9. The decline has been so fast and there are no green shoots to be positive about. 

Cameron and the board have backed Kerr financially and must see the decline, it will be interesting how well they back him next month. The momentum that has been built up since 2015 can not be allowed to slow to a halt or we will easily become a yo-yo club again. We need to make progress this season and we are going in the wrong direction. 

Just now, Trogdor said:

I just mentioned on the match thread. I felt it worth repeating here:

If you want to be cold hearted - ie points make prizes & results over performances. We are 1.5 points down on where we would expect to be using 2018/19 as the benchmark. We should be averaging 1.5 points per game for 4th. Thus we should have 13.5 points but we have 12. Incidentally, beat Morton on Tuesday and we're back on that benchmark again. 

There is no doubt we are underpeforming. Jettisoning Kerr at this stage would be an error, they are his players so he deserves to be given the chance to turn it round. This is a streaky league. Hopefully we can do a bit of surgery on the squad in January and kick on.

Give up on 4th man, will not happen defending like we do, we'll be just below because we score enough. 

As previously indicated, I didn't pay Hearts their PPV extortion fee today so I'm in no position to comment on today's performance. However, some of the comments above ring true to me :-

1. We lack a leader - losing Doc and Bell should have been a straw in the wind

2. The defence at times this season has looked leaky in the extreme - Lavvi exposed that in no time and then took their foot off the gas when they could have scored a barrel load. That game should have had alarm bells ringing.

3. Injuries (Moore and Walsh in particular) haven't helped and there have been others occassionally (e.g. Zanatta, Smith, Innes, Houston).

4. Of the loanees, only Smith is worthy of praise.

Like a few others, I wasn't expecting a high finish this year despite the promise of some of our close season signings and even the surprise late arrival of Smith. We don't have the squad depth to mount a serious challenge for anything. Mid table mediocrity is the best we can expect unless things improve dramaticall via signings in January.

This was the scenario when Roberts was manager, set a target of mediocrity and a baseline of relegation that triggers an extension. 
We haven't been out of the play-off positions since we were promoted up until last week and now we have won one point out of 9. The decline has been so fast and there are no green shoots to be positive about. 
Cameron and the board have backed Kerr financially and must see the decline, it will be interesting how well they back him next month. The momentum that has been built up since 2015 can not be allowed to slow to a halt or we will easily become a yo-yo club again. We need to make progress this season and we are going in the wrong direction. 
You're right about the last 3 games but that is a very short time span - and certainly doesn't justify him being sacked.

Mccall would've had plenty of 3 defeat runs in his time with us. Progress is never neat and linear - and football can turn very quickly.

9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

You're right about the last 3 games but that is a very short time span - and certainly doesn't justify him being sacked.

Mccall would've had plenty of 3 defeat runs in his time with us. Progress is never neat and linear - and football can turn very quickly.

I didn't say he should be sacked, I hope he succeeds and from his after match interviews he does look like he is hurting after every defeat. 

However, Under McCall, the majority of players to leave us have gone to better clubs or relatively better funded clubs. There is no one in this team that Kerr has signed that will move up the way. McCowan is the only player in that team that looks like they might move up the way. Not one player has advanced. 

We have been dreadful all season, Albion Rovers gave us a game and they were beat by Buckie Thistle today and are currently the second worst senior team. We are far to open and have done nothing since pre-season to address this. 

It doesn't look like any homework was done on the players that were brought in, to have so many new players under-perform or just simply be duds points to a problem. 

McCall was capable of losing 3 in a row but that was normally down to the fact he signed so many injury hit players that every year we lost Moore, Murdoch, Adams, Bell and Docherty for at least 6 weeks each, often at the same time. He kept signing them so it was his fault. 

53 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Will  the post match interview be put up on YouTube at some point  or is it only going to be on Black & White TV from now on?

I just watched it on Black & White TV which is free just now. I couldn't find it on YouTube either. Its a bit crap if we're sticking that behind the paywall. The post match interview should be free imo.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

I didn't say he should be sacked, I hope he succeeds and from his after match interviews he does look like he is hurting after every defeat. 

However, Under McCall, the majority of players to leave us have gone to better clubs or relatively better funded clubs. There is no one in this team that Kerr has signed that will move up the way. McCowan is the only player in that team that looks like they might move up the way. Not one player has advanced. 

We have been dreadful all season, Albion Rovers gave us a game and they were beat by Buckie Thistle today and are currently the second worst senior team. We are far to open and have done nothing since pre-season to address this. 

It doesn't look like any homework was done on the players that were brought in, to have so many new players under-perform or just simply be duds points to a problem. 

McCall was capable of losing 3 in a row but that was normally down to the fact he signed so many injury hit players that every year we lost Moore, Murdoch, Adams, Bell and Docherty for at least 6 weeks each, often at the same time. He kept signing them so it was his fault. 

How can you possibly know that no players will move up the way after so few games! Development takes place over full seasons, not after a few games. 

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

How can you possibly know that no players will move up the way after so few games! Development takes place over full seasons, not after a few games. 

Not one have shown signs of improvement in the last year, some have regressed. Even the young players that were in the squad at the start of the season have vanished from squads, only McKenzie appears for a few seconds occasionally. We have signed players from the premier league that look destined for part time football within 18 months. Anderson has gone from Aberdeen fans complaining that he has gone on loan to us....to Ayr fans complaining that he has gone on loan to us. 

We have built up a decent reputation for developing players which has allowed Kerr and Doohan to come on loan to us, turned Rose and Shankland in to 6 figure valued players. When Anderson goes back to Aberdeen we'll be lucky to get another player from them. 

Think some people's comments on Anderson are way off the mark tbh. Still think he's an excellent striker for this level but hasn't exactly performed well which is down to the type of football we've been playing. Feel like he'll be a nisbet type player that will go on to bigger and better things after being sh*te for us (through no fault of his own)

I get the horrible feeling it’s just going to explode in Kerrs face over the next few weeks. Not many of the players have a real affiliation for him, coupled with the fact there are no leaders in the team and we don’t seem to have any real defensive foundation any the squad at all. A loss on Tuesday and we are in a relegation fight for sure. Will Dave Smith be as happy to let Kerr have as much time as Cameron would if we’re in even deeper trouble come mid January when half the season could be by? 

On the other hand we could go on a run and propel ourselves back up the table. Do I think we will or trust this team to do so? Frankly no. Too many big disappointments like Baird and Anderson, our supposed best signings. I don’t think we’ll get to do much in January which won’t help us in any shape or form.

Was speaking with friends the other day about this season and I just can’t get excited really. Whether it’s Covid, not getting to the games and getting that affiliation with the players or just the games I’ve watched that have been brutal. Switched off most streams I’ve bought early due to being scunnered trying to watch. 

I get the horrible feeling it’s just going to explode in Kerrs face over the next few weeks. Not many of the players have a real affiliation for him, coupled with the fact there are no leaders in the team and we don’t seem to have any real defensive foundation any the squad at all. A loss on Tuesday and we are in a relegation fight for sure. Will Dave Smith be as happy to let Kerr have as much time as Cameron would if we’re in even deeper trouble come mid January when half the season could be by? 
On the other hand we could go on a run and propel ourselves back up the table. Do I think we will or trust this team to do so? Frankly no. Too many big disappointments like Baird and Anderson, our supposed best signings. I don’t think we’ll get to do much in January which won’t help us in any shape or form.
Was speaking with friends the other day about this season and I just can’t get excited really. Whether it’s Covid, not getting to the games and getting that affiliation with the players or just the games I’ve watched that have been brutal. Switched off most streams I’ve bought early due to being scunnered trying to watch. 
I think drawing on Tuesday and winning on Saturday giving us 4 out of 6 would be OK, losing either of the games this week and alarm bells should be ringing.

On signings I was thinking about this last night and I honestly don't think with Covid and the quality of signings Kerr got in the summer that there was probably a plan for many signings in January, apart from squad fillers.