The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, HMIP said:

It’s really not that complicated.  As a full time team, we previously had a manager, assistant and highly experienced 1st team coach.  Now we have a rookie manager and an inexperienced assistant.  While McCardle’s background is very unconventional and his complete lack of experience was alarming from the outset, he maybe does have interesting ideas rooted in sports science and data analysis.    However, it’s clear they need both need help with the nuts and bolts of coaching a team.  I would challenge anyone to make the case that we have made any progress under Kerr.  

I don’t disagree with the main point of that, however utilising sports science isn’t the issue here and it’s nothing like Moneyball. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Right, I've had a bit of time to calm down and reflect over today's game. 

Where do we begin, probably with the positives. It was good to see Walsh score even if it was a consolation and he will be undoability an asset this season. Was also good  for McCowan to score a banger, we really need to be playing him upfront as he's our only consistent goalscorer in the team. 

Right, onto the negatives.  Another capitulation one of many under Kerr and as I said last week it wasn't going to be the last. The defense that Kerr has built has been a shambles, the worst I've seen for some time we're powder puff in midfield and it doesn't matter if we play 2 or 3 in the middle, we still struggle. The front line...Honestly, It isn't as good as people are making it out to be. Anderson and Zanatta have both been shit signings, Cammy Smith will be leaving next month and Cameron is injured. 

Which then leads me onto Mark Kerr. I've lost faith in the man now and I don't believe it's "negative" to say so. Not just the capitulations but is subs have left me scratching my head and today was no different. Bringing on Anderson is almost playing with 10 men, the man is useless, has been since he joined. But ultimately he has been backed arguably in a better way than towards the end of McCall's era and we've gone backwards for it. I would love to be wrong but we're not improving in the slightest with Kerr. 

However, there is still one thing that's still with Kerr is that, there's very little out there that will change this. You can argue with Ross county sacking their manager that the best they can get is big Yogi that Kerr might be the best we can get even if I don't believe in him anymore. 

Edited by THEHonestman1910

4 minutes ago, rb123! said:

He's not any worse than Anderson

Perhaps, but it’s another serious long term injury that’s put him out for the season and he is out of contract in the summer.  You can only feel sorry for the guy, but I’d be surprised if we offered him a deal next summer.

5 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Right, I've had a bit of time to calm down and reflect over today's game. 

Where do we begin, probably with the positives. It was good to see Walsh score even if it was a consolation and he will be undoability an asset this season. Was also good  for McCowan to score a banger, we really need to be playing him upfront as he's our only consistent goalscorer in the team. 

Right, onto the negatives.  Another capitulation one of many under Kerr and as I said last week it wasn't going to be the last. The defense that Kerr has built has been a shambles, the worst I've seen for some time we're powder puff in midfield and it doesn't matter if we play 2 or 3 in the middle, we still struggle. The front line...Honestly, It isn't as good as people are making it out to be. Anderson and Zanatta have both been shit signings, Cammy Smith will be leaving next month and Cameron is injured. 

Which then leads me onto Mark Kerr. I've lost faith in the man now and I don't believe it's "negative" to say so. Not just the capitulations but is subs have left me scratching my head and today was no different. Bringing on Anderson is almost playing with 10 men, the man is useless, has been since he joined. But ultimately he has been backed arguably in a better way than towards the end of McCall's era and we've gone backwards for it. I would love to be wrong but we're not improving in the slightest with Kerr. 

Can Smith sign for another club next month now that he’s played for 2 clubs already this season?  

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

Perhaps, but it’s another serious long term injury that’s put him out for the season and he is out of contract in the summer.  You can only feel sorry for the guy, but I’d be surprised if we offered him a deal next summer.

Yeah, I expect you're right. I could still see him rebuilding his career somewhere if he can stay injury free. 

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

Can Smith sign for another club next month now that he’s played for 2 clubs already this season?  

He can sign but wouldn’t be able to play for them as far as I know so it’s either he signs a new contract at Dundee United or signs for us realistically. 

9 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

He can sign but wouldn’t be able to play for them as far as I know so it’s either he signs a new contract at Dundee United or signs for us realistically. 

As he's played for Dundee United this season thats correct. If he hadn't played for Dundee United he would be able to move to a third club and play.

I think you can be registered for three teams but only play for two in a season.

Edited by Trogdor

It’s really not that complicated.  As a full time team, we previously had a manager, assistant and highly experienced 1st team coach.  Now we have a rookie manager and an inexperienced assistant.  While McCardle’s background is very unconventional and his complete lack of experience was alarming from the outset, he maybe does have interesting ideas rooted in sports science and data analysis.    However, it’s clear they need both need help with the nuts and bolts of coaching a team.  I would challenge anyone to make the case that we have made any progress under Kerr.  
You're discounting the fact that we lost a lot of our top players in a short space of time.

That has an impact, and would've done had mccall still been in charge.

You can see flashes of how Kerr wants to play but they are few and far between, I just dont think we have the players to do it consistently, especially in midfield, which at times today you could pilot a 747 through.

I wouldn't be punting Anderson, I firmly believe that is down to the players behind him and the manager.

I don't want Kerr punted either, but if he doesn't get a result in the next couple games then it will be hard to keep defending him.

These lapses of concentration where we're conceding two or three goals in the space of a few minutes are just absolutely crazy. Wild stuff.

Morton 3 in 5.     Livingston 3 in 8.    Hearts 3 in 6,    4 in 13

Arbroath 2 in 3,  almost 3 in 6,  as Donnelly missed 1 on 1 when 2 up

We seem to be lacking in mental fortitude. Also lack of a leader on the pitch such as Geggan, Bell, Doc or  Adams used to provide.

Teams will know by now that if you score against us, don't sit back and try to consolidate. Just pile forward as if your a goal down with 2 minutes to go. Chances are you'll be rewarded with 2 or 3 more. 

There won't be many teams that score 3 goals at Tynecastle this season. To do so and not even get a point is frustrating. 

I'll judge the management team when we've had our strongest team out there. Talk of looking for replacing them is the stuff of fantasy. 

Before the season started we were tipped for 4th / 5th, there's nothing so far to indicate that this team isn't possible of achieving that. 

I think some people need to a bit more realistic in judging situations. We are far from the best team in the league and by the same token, we're far from the worst too. Chill. 

Edited by BukyOHare

I agree as I said before a very young team and a very young management team in terms of games. We’ll win next three games quite confident, but we def need a couple of experienced players in January one at the back and one in the middle surely can’t be hard to get that plenty of players should come available and I’m still predicting 5th might just sneak 4th.

It's a pointless season, we won't make the playoffs, we won't go down.  Good going forward and can't defend. 

Can't see the resource being made available to sort out the defence until the summer. 

Edited by itzdrk

24 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

There won't be many teams that score 3 goals at Tynecastle this season. To do so and not even get a point is frustrating. 

At face value yes, after watching it, no. We make the same mistakes that we make every week. Hearts had 22 shots on goal in better conditions we could have easily conceded another 3.

We have a midfield akin to McStay and Sinclair at the moment and a defense that couldn't keep weans out a close. 

21 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

It's a pointless season, we won't make the playoffs, we won't go down.  Good going forward and can't defend. 

Can't see the resource being made available to sort out the defence until the summer. 

Issue there is Baird, Houston, Reading and Muirhead are all signed up for next season. Roscoe is the only defender out of contract. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

At face value yes, after watching it, no. We make the same mistakes that we make every week. Hearts had 22 shots on goal in better conditions we could have easily conceded another 3.

We have a midfield akin to McStay and Sinclair at the moment and a defense that couldn't keep weans out a close. 

Was it them two imposters in the middle of the part as we sunk to a Boxing Day (I think) defeat to Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill. 

35 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I'll judge the management team when we've had our strongest team out there. Talk of looking for replacing them is the stuff of fantasy. 

Before the season started we were tipped for 4th / 5th, there's nothing so far to indicate that this team isn't possible of achieving that. 

I think some people need to a bit more realistic in judging situations. We are by far the best team in the league and by the same token, we're far from the worst too. Chill. 

Yes, this is bang on the money although I think what's disappointing / annoying many of us is the style of football compared to what we're used to as Ayr supporters.

What you say is correct though, we're sitting where many expected us to be and I'm also sure where Lachlan expected us as well, so in that regard Kerr is fulfilling his end of the contract plus he got us through the Betfred section so nothing bad at all.

I agree as I said before a very young team and a very young management team in terms of games. We’ll win next three games quite confident, but we def need a couple of experienced players in January one at the back and one in the middle surely can’t be hard to get that plenty of players should come available and I’m still predicting 5th might just sneak 4th.
You're confident of winning the next 3 games?

You must be the only one.

Things are not going well, i just think talk of getting rid of the manager is way off the mark - mainly due to the circumstances.