The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

19 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Also, 3 and a half weeks until our first competitive fixture and no one has seen a glimpse of a new home top. What’s going on just now, for the last few years we were getting them out on sale mid May etc. They stuck in a container again in the Atlantic? 

God don’t add more fuel to the flames lol 😂 it just calmed down for the night 

My views only…….

Hi Guys

I am a multi-club jobbing Scottish footballer currently looking for a new club. I have an over inflated opinion of my ability and worth and am really living off of one good half season several years ago. However I am lucky as I appear to be in some demand as there is a dearth of players in my position. I have a number of clubs wanting to sign me. I also have a weasel of an agent who who would happily welch on a handshake deal and would do the dirty on this Gran for a better one.

So how do I decide. 

Well first I need an offer from one of the interested clubs to use to get a better deal elsewhere.

Once I have several similar offers on the table I will then consider the following:

The Manger and his back room team – well experience tells be all Managers are egotistical twats but am happy to say “ that I have always want to play for him” if the money is right. I will probably be at the club longer than him anyway.

Training facilities- are they good with nice player facilities and do they have a good indoor area for training on  cold wet days? I am getting a bit old for that nonsense!

How far from where I live - can I be home in half an hour after training or an hour and a half?

Will the club be competing at the right end of the table? As long as I get a few games on tv where I can up my performance and have the pundits saying how good I can be. This will help with my next move.

Once I have signed I will do the scarf over my head photo and kiss the badge if I score and by halfway through my contract be looking for my next club/payday.

So to all fans, see you at a ground around Scotland soon. Remember to keep buying your season tickets and stuff out the club shop to help fund my over inflated wages. I am sure you will be hurling abuse at me wither I sign for your team or one of your rivals.

Your in football

The Jobber.

…. am I getting too cynical in my old age?

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Also, 3 and a half weeks until our first competitive fixture and no one has seen a glimpse of a new home top. What’s going on just now, for the last few years we were getting them out on sale mid May etc. They stuck in a container again in the Atlantic? 

Suez Canal

Egypt's Suez Canal blocked by huge container ship - BBC News

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

We have not seen it yet either , heard July but away too next week hopefully 

On 15/06/2021 at 18:41, honestly united said:

No wanting to defend Hopkin as his recruitment /tactics etc so far hasn't been great but looking back at the 2019/20 season (below) which was McCall's last season and a big rebuild as well, our first signing was (according to wiki) 13th June

I wonder what could possibly have resulted in McCall not signing that many players for a club he left himself that summer.

So anyway, quick Thursday morning recap:

• Less than four weeks until the first competitive game
  • Net player count from last season, where the team was already threadbare and sorely lacking quality: -5
  • Currently zero (0) senior keepers on the books
  • Current best up-front option is the 36-year-old Ayr signed from Girvan over a decade ago
  • Deals within the Scottish market have essentially been concluded, with any identified free players in the top two tiers now accounted for. Ayr's take from this is three defenders from Morton (finished ninth; including Sean McGinty, almost universally regarded as the poorest defender in the league last season) and one U21
  • Strong evidence that any remaining permanent signings will either be from an agency that acts like a sort of Battersea Dogs Home for unloved players looking for their forever home, or the National League (or below)
  • Strong evidence that a significant portion of the regular playing squad will be loanees from the much-vaunted partnership with Burnley, because squads full of loan signings are always top quality
  • The board's resident in-the-know club staff member, after tapping his nose for weeks about the quality of a signing who ultimately couldn't hold his nose for long enough to sign a contract, is unaware of how many seats the ground has
  • But hey, there might at last be an alternative to Hawkhill Bowling Club for a pre-match drink, in around December, if pubs are still a thing by then

Occasionally when I'm feeling down, I'll look through old threads from a team's calamitous relegation season. Falkirk's or Morten's for instance. It's interesting to note that they are an absolute carbon copy of this one: people spelling out utterly dire facts about the club's situation, occasionally getting beaten down by happy clappers incapable of making decisions based on anything that didn't happen in their line of sight within the span of their persistence of vision. (Except with more racism in Falkirk's case.)

Mind you, seeing as the club is saving all of this Better-Than-McCall-Got budget for someone, maybe Sergio Ramos is going to be the marquee signing.

22 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I wonder what could possibly have resulted in McCall not signing that many players for a club he left himself that summer.

McCall didn't leave until September.

Im firmly in the camp that you should have the majority of your squad signed up before pre-season starts, however not just that season, (and not just Ayr) but the majority of clubs wait until the days before the the league cup kicks off to make signing (usually so they dont have to pay them before then) and most teams use the league cup as their pre-season matches - as being ready for the league is the main aim.

As most clubs at this level are dependent on loan signings were usually waiting on the bigger clubs completing their transfer business / pre-season training before they look to free up youngsters to go on loan - the vast majority of McCall's signings (not just loans) were well into July, infact his 2 best were Smith arriving late August, and Shankland in September.

Im not a happy clapper or a fan of Hopkin but at least want to give him a chance to put a team together - however if we get humped by Albion Rovers and Edinburgh City that chance will be gone

Edited by honestly united

From wink-wink-nudge-nudge we're definitely signing a great centre forward, through you should never judge players on what they do at clubs other than Ayr, onto that great centre forward (even though you can't judge him as great yet because he hasn't played for Ayr) signing for someone else, to furiously announcing he won't interact with someone being negative about how the summer is going to date as there's no pleasing some people when this negativity has at least partly been unleashed by missing out on the player he'd been dropping hints at, then finally inventing 500 seats from thin air, this thread has been excellent reading for #ITK takes.

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Can Morton fans confirm what stage fan infighting starts during the Hopkin era? Just wanting a temperature check to see how far along we are. 

We never stop infighting, you can't use us as an example.

30 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Can Morton fans confirm what stage fan infighting starts during the Hopkin era? Just wanting a temperature check to see how far along we are. 

It started in July when we signed Muirhead and Orsi. 

26 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

We never stop infighting

Yes we do ya c**t

4 hours ago, Thumper said:

The board's resident in-the-know club staff member, after tapping his nose for weeks about the quality of a signing who ultimately couldn't hold his nose for long enough to sign a contract, is unaware of how many seats the ground has

Think that's a tad unfair. If @Finlay21 had saw the player kicking about at Somerset, obviously you would be led to believe that they'd either be signing or had already signed. @Finlay21gives us good information when he knows or sees something regarding a signing, harsh to criticise when he's usually correct and the first in the know. 

I believed that the family stand, disability stand and the bit next to the dugout would have been counted. So 1500 odd seats + 200 + 200 on what was usually the oppositions side next to the St. Andrews first aid building = roughly 2000. 

9 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Think that's a tad unfair. If @Finlay21 had saw the player kicking about at Somerset, obviously you would be led to believe that they'd either be signing or had already signed. @Finlay21gives us good information when he knows or sees something regarding a signing, harsh to criticise when he's usually correct and the first in the know. 

I believed that the family stand, disability stand and the bit next to the dugout would have been counted. So 1500 odd seats + 200 + 200 on what was usually the oppositions side next to the St. Andrews first aid building = roughly 2000. 

It’s 2000 including both dugouts lol 😂 

With some of the attitudes on here, I would understand why the likes of Robbo / Finlay would stop giving us ANYTHING and the very same people moaning like hell would then be moaning about "never hearing anything".

I'm actually beginning to think that some of you would be better buggering off up to Firhill to watch your beloved McCall in action as you certainly aren't coming across as "supporters" of Ayr United.......

14 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Water off  a ducks back , best I leave all information now to official site ,, I will reply to any pms relating to issues , 

I think some folk need to cool down on both sides. We're all on the same fucking side so stop attacking one another! Sensible discourse should be encouraged. But the personal snipes, I'm a better fan than you and go and support someone else can all get in the bin. I've got no time for it and it's embarrassing. 

Just now, WATTOO said:

With some of the attitudes on here, I would understand why the likes of Robbo / Finlay would stop giving us ANYTHING and the very same people moaning like hell would then be moaning about "never hearing anything".

I'm actually beginning to think that some of you would be better buggering off up to Firhill to watch your beloved McCall in action as you certainly aren't coming across as "supporters" of Ayr United.......

100% this .  Getting board listening to the baby squad bleeting every day .

I got told that we gave Toderov an improved offer which was probably in excess of £1000 a week . He shook on it ,then fucked off to the Pars who would have either matched or bettered it . Nobody's fault, it happens . However it does let you know what we are prepared to do if the right player is available .