The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Not to be negative, would McCall not be all over Kelly if he was available since he worked with him before ? It’s just how McCall approaches things 

We'd get a weeks notice in the press if he was.

41 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Not to be negative, would McCall not be all over Kelly if he was available since he worked with him before ? It’s just how McCall approaches things 

He still may be. Rangers probably won’t release players for loan until they have completed pre-season and they see who they have coming through the door.

McCall will know his situation and if he needs him I am sure he’ll be in for him. I’d expect if Forrest, Crawford, Devlin or Even Shankland became available to a championship team, they would be playing for McCall before they would be playing for Ayr. 

Looking at the size (height) of the squad the manager is putting together, it reminds me of many of the successful championship promotion sides of the past, and even the most successful junior teams of my youth, for that matter too.

They would always look bigger and stronger than any of the opposition.

I know there has definitely been a shift to the possession based, low centre of gravity, skilful smaller player in a lot of teams but it’s all about winning the league or getting promotion now.

A good mix would be nice, but we have to be physical and fit first, on a cold wet January night!

9 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Even if our new signing is a success, I don’t think he’s particularly a goal scorer. Roughly a one in ten strike rate at national league level (if stat sites are correct) So we still really need another striker who will chip in, and a goalscoring attacking midfielder or two. 

Agreed that I’d like us to sign someone who’ll bring goals from midfield. We are definitely lacking that at the moment and I’m not convinced our front line is going to contribute enough goals itself.

Pure speculation also not sure how good Thomas Robert was for Airdrie. 🤔

Burnley have moved ahead of Celtic in the race to sign Robert, offering him a two-week trial at Turf Moor with a view to signing a permanent contract. The EPL club recently announced a strategic partnership with cinch Championship side Ayr United.

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/airdrieonians-thomas-robert-heads-for-premier-league-trial-after-celtic-interest/

Edited by bazka6

Pure speculation also not sure how good Thomas Robert was for Airdrie. [emoji848]
Burnley have moved ahead of Celtic in the race to sign Robert, offering him a two-week trial at Turf Moor with a view to signing a permanent contract. The EPL club recently announced a strategic partnership with cinch Championship side Ayr United.
https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/airdrieonians-thomas-robert-heads-for-premier-league-trial-after-celtic-interest/

His dad is Laurent Robert ex France international

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Looking at the size (height) of the squad the manager is putting together, it reminds me of many of the successful championship promotion sides of the past, and even the most successful junior teams of my youth, for that matter too.

They would always look bigger and stronger than any of the opposition.

I know there has definitely been a shift to the possession based, low centre of gravity, skilful smaller player in a lot of teams but it’s all about winning the league or getting promotion now.

A good mix would be nice, but we have to be physical and fit first, on a cold wet January night!

Very good points, personally I much prefer the fast ball on the deck quick passing style which we had  a couple of season back (probably like most of us), however teams such as Inverness who were full of big hard working physical types with a wee bit of skill thrown in totally destroyed us at times and ultimately finished above us, despite us winning many admirers for our style of play.

I suppose it's all about balance and getting the most out of your players and if Hopkin can assemble a decent squad who are willing to run through a brick wall for the cause along with a sprinkling of genuine quality (for this level), then we may just have a winning formula.

13 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Gave it a wee blue pill and it is now up! 

link for those who want to watch! 

https://ayrunitedfc.co.uk/black-white-tv

He comes across as a very genuine, driven and ambitious guy who believes in his own ability.

I also thought he came across very well and there's no doubt that he's hoping to use us a springboard to go on to better things which can only be good for us should it all work out.

11 minutes ago, cop said:

The Adeloye signing seems to have perked people up a bit!

Think I’m just pleasantly surprised we didn’t end up with another El Alagui type and we might have a chance of scoring a goal or two

Adeloye came across as someone who has had very good media training and answered all the questions in the correct way, Callum’s dream. Softball questions and crowd pleasing answers. 

What do you know about the Ayrshire Darby? f**k all mate = I’ve heard it can be very passionate and it is something to look forward to, elaborated on speaking to friends already playing in Scotland.

I’m not naive enough to think that the majority of the players have any interest in the club out with their own career. He is someone who has bounced around a fair bit and that could be for various reasons. Doing well in the first 6 months at Ayr could lead to a move to A lower half premier team next season or an extension at Ayr if he wanted. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Adeloye came across as someone who has had very good media training and answered all the questions in the correct way, Callum’s dream. Softball questions and crowd pleasing answers. 

What do you know about the Ayrshire Darby? f**k all mate = I’ve heard it can be very passionate and it is something to look forward to, elaborated on speaking to friends already playing in Scotland.

I’m not naive enough to think that the majority of the players have any interest in the club out with their own career. He is someone who has bounced around a fair bit and that could be for various reasons. Doing well in the first 6 months at Ayr could lead to a move to A lower half premier team next season or an extension at Ayr if he wanted. 

Standard question for any new signing at their respective club followed by the stock answer. It is good that he has friends up here which should help with the homesickness aspect and he's already been up here for a brief spell with EK. Bringing Faal in may also help with that given they've played together. Loan players coming in and being in a similar situation will also be supportive in some ways. 

I would like to note that every time I've ever screamed "SHOOOOOOT" at someone from the north terrace he's scored, so there's an asterisk needed there.

Also, on the "we hate killie" front... maybe a wee bit less of the next line of the stolen Millwall song next season, eh.

13 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I would like to note that every time I've ever screamed "SHOOOOOOT" at someone from the north terrace he's scored, so there's an asterisk needed there.

Also, on the "we hate killie" front... maybe a wee bit less of the next line of the stolen Millwall song next season, eh.

To be fair people have been singing "dirty" for a while now......awaiting accusations of racism from both sets of fans in the first derby now I've said that. 

100% this we all know it's means unwashed but some guys from London who has Nigeria heratige does not, time to leave that in the past.