The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

To be honest, I like Bullen as a manager. However, his total inability to change his set up is doing my head in. Epitomised by the Falkirk game, where we blew them away in the first 20-25 mins. They changed formation and we would not\could not change things resulting in Hoppyball. The rest is history. Bullen needs an experienced assistant to compliment his management style. This is essential or we will go backwards without Dipo or an equivalent next season. 

1 hour ago, North British 2 said:

Bullen will be at Ayr United next season and the season after that . This fanciful idea that he won't be around for the  medium to long term is bonkers . He is in with the bricks as they say . Anybody who thinks otherwise hasn't been paying attention.  

Of course that’s the plan. But if after the first quarter next season we are in the bottom two or three there will be a decision to be made and the club won’t sit about imo. 

1 hour ago, North British 2 said:

Bullen will be at Ayr United next season and the season after that . This fanciful idea that he won't be around for the  medium to long term is bonkers . He is in with the bricks as they say . Anybody who thinks otherwise hasn't been paying attention.  

Okay David

Heed the warning of Hearts and St Johnstone, punt the negative, inflexible, dredge of a manager before you waste another 12 months hoping he'll change.

He won't. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Of course that’s the plan. But if after the first quarter next season we are in the bottom two or three there will be a decision to be made and the club won’t sit about imo. 

I agree here , if there is any hint of relegation around Oct/Nov then big decisions will have to be made .  However our recruitment in the summer will/should avoid that scenario.  I can't belive that Smith would under resource us in the summer to a degree where we were uncompetitive next season . If we are planning for top four next season then we'll be requiring signings in the Chalmers and Mullin caliber . These guys don't come cheap , but that's the market well be entering if we want to keep the momentum going . 

For the record blowing our cup semi final with Rangers still hurts , the feeling is still very raw , but that's football , a missed penalty and a deflection going in at the other end . We kissed goodbye to a fortune that night . Lessons must be learned there and I'm guessing they will be ....

On 08/04/2023 at 21:22, diegomarahenry said:

The highlight of the afternoon for me was the ball dropping to McAlear 14 yards out, the easy thing to do was to throw a leg out and put it goal wards.

He managed to throw both at the same time and fell over.

Good to see they put this in to the highlights package. 4m55s

4 hours ago, North British 2 said:

I didn't say he wouldn't be here. I just said that it would be funny if Hearts went for him.

Alternatively: McGlynn back to Hearts, Bullen to Falkirk.

16 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Just after the benefits of the Burnley partnership

How about all the really good young players from Everton that Neil Watt was going to get us? They'll all be in their 30s by now.

Edited by Richey Edwards

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Heed the warning of Hearts and St Johnstone, punt the negative, inflexible, dredge of a manager before you waste another 12 months hoping he'll change.

He won't. 

Agree with this. When have you ever seen a manager change the way his teams play. The club have no basis for chucking him at the minute and it would make the job very unattractive. But next season is really hard to get excited about. Survival on the last day for the 3rd year out of 4.

17 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Agree with this. When have you ever seen a manager change the way his teams play. The club have no basis for chucking him at the minute and it would make the job very unattractive. But next season is really hard to get excited about. Survival on the last day for the 3rd year out of 4.

I hate playing Devil’s Advocate but is this maybe where we are as a club?  Survival in the Championship?  Been a while since we were an established Championship team, and I know we are getting there, but surely the income streams / season ticket numbers / prize money etc needs to consistently improve and grow before we can class ourselves as true mid to top end Championship, year after year?

We spent so long in and out the seaside leagues that we were seen as part of them - for a while we were such a yo-yo team and a club that was neither one or the other to a degree.

Fans don’t have patience though - myself included - but a dash of realism now and then both disappoints but also keeps you sane.

28 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

McCall went from a 532 man to a 442 man to a 4231 man back to 442 then finished on 433.  

7 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

I hate playing Devil’s Advocate but is this maybe where we are as a club?  Survival in the Championship?  Been a while since we were an established Championship team, and I know we are getting there, but surely the income streams / season ticket numbers / prize money etc needs to consistently improve and grow before we can class ourselves as true mid to top end Championship, year after year?

We spent so long in and out the seaside leagues that we were seen as part of them - for a while we were such a yo-yo team and a club that was neither one or the other to a degree.

Fans don’t have patience though - myself included - but a dash of realism now and then both disappoints but also keeps you sane.

That would be fine if the club weren't actively talking about winning the league this year and "doing something historic".  

47 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

All of this is true, but it also presupposes that the 80% of this league who have been in the top flight during my lifetime were in a better position themselves. In reality ICT and County bought their way into it just like Queens Park are currently trying, Hamilton fluked it on a golden academy generation and several others have fallen substantially from grace in that time.

In another two seasons there should be a very shiny new north stand and the club's books should look very promising, seeing as the Hub revenue seems to have basically transformed the finances despite having opened in a fucking pandemic. At that point it's far harder to say that Ayr aren't in a better place infrastructure-wise than the majority of Championship teams, really only excepting the Fifers and the Highlanders (and of those four, two still rely on their rich owners and one is in administration again every five years).

Just as an aside, does anyone else get absolutely raging that we are still allowing Paddy Reading to hit free kicks from his side? We might as well roll it out for a fucking goal kick. 

McAlear is meant to be good at them, so surely we are better with him on them all rather than Reading - regardless of which side it is.