The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

McAlear was a strange one, possibly tiring maybe, our attacking options around Dipo are so poor now in the absence of Mullin and especially Chalmers and it shows badly. 

I would have had Bryden on to play alongside Dipo and provide a bit more energy up there. O Connor playing where Ashford was and Smith on for Murdoch or Dempsey. Or even try Smith where JML was as he has a decent cross on him 

2 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:

I would have had Bryden on to play alongside Dipo and provide a bit more energy up there. O Connor playing where Ashford was and Smith on for Murdoch or Dempsey. Or even try Smith where JML was as he has a decent cross on him

It's all much a muchness though isn't it? There's literally one player on the books you'd trust to hit a barn door with a banjo and even he couldn't do that tonight. It says a lot that he stopped even bothering laying it off for other players towards the end because, well, what the f**k is Ashford going to do in the box? Head it off the opposition line again?

Thought we were decent tbh, controlled large parts of the game but we are just missing that bit of quality in the final third with the loss of Chalmers and Mullin. If Dipo was at it tonight we would have won that, but others clearly need to step up at times. 

Certainly strange how he stays on, possibly they like his energy, but little ability for me, McKenzie gets a 2 year deal and they don't think he can come on and do something which is strange......I'm assuming he was on the bench?

It was a decent performance and a fair result between two very honest and very hard working teams who pretty much cancelled each other out.

Ultimately we came up short again so it now looks like we'll be needing 3 points against Raith which will then make it a final day shootout up at Inverness.

Insipid. As I've come to expect at Somerset, this year.

Albinson should have been man of the match. He kept us in that, he's certainly playing very well and has improved a lot since being backup to McAdams.

I'm a bit frustrated at that tbh. It kind of epitomises the second half of this season. 

Other points to note:

How Ashford played that whole match I'll never know. He had one good cross.

We really need a new left back. Every team attacks us on that flank because of the inherent weakness.

Why is Daire so good when he comes off the bench? 

Weirdly McAlear played well whereas Dempsey and Murdoch were a bit meh by their standards.

Dipo was a wee bit selfish two or three times. One time he should have rolled it to Maguire instead he took a shot with a very narrow angle. I get why he did it as he's carried us all season.

I'm a bit flat tbh. Just end the season now and get all the something historic chat in the fucking bin. A season of what might have been!

I don’t grudge anyone being excited for a game of fitba but how anyone could get butterflies about that game tonight needs checked out. Blatantly obvious that’s the performance we were going to churn out, as it so often has been.

People talk about getting into the playoffs as if it’s a guaranteed promotion. We’d do nothing and it would mean watching some of them for 2 more games.

End the season now please it’s just painful at this point.

We looked like we wanted to win the game tonight which was a big change, despite playing one up front, at home in a must win game. 

Queens Park didn't look like they could handle us early on but we just couldn't take advantage. They came on to a game in the second half and passed it round us without creating much other than Albinsons two great saves. 

Houston in the first half was dreadful, just looks like he is trying hard but has no confidence, nothing came off for him, he was a real weak link. McAlear put himself about and corners aside put a decent shift in, JML had a promising first half hour and then dropped out the game.  All in all, unless Dipo creates some kind of magic, we find it really hard to score goals. 

For me the season petered out in December/January never really replaced chalmers or young who both contributed well to the first half of the season.  Since then we have really struggled.  I know it’s really har to recruit decent players in January but if we had tried to replace at least one of them it may have been so different. Maguire isn’t an adequate replacement in any way he was a gamble and it never worked unfortunately 

There are definitely a number of players that can’t be faulted for endeavour, but would benefit from a move away from Ayr - and be mutually beneficial.  No disrespect to them, but they must know it themselves - I think we all know who they are.

2 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

I actually thought Maguire didn't do too badly when he came on really, JML was unsurprisingly hopeless and Ashford, well...

Thought he'd be a season defining signing and a massive coup for Ayr. Quite shocked to see him struggle like this.