The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

38 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

He's had less than 300 minutes in the league this season, that isn't ample.

And hasn’t shown nearly enough to be given more opportunities, so far he doesn’t remotely look up to this level and clearly needs a loan move down a couple of levels. He is obviously still very young.  

Smith and Ecrepont can possibly feel slightly hard down to in terms of game time this season, but that’s about it. 

45 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

He's had less than 300 minutes in the league this season, that isn't ample.

It’s more than enough for a player to be showing that he’s up to it at this level. Easily. 

I think he’ll improve but at the moment his decision making is poor and he’s too weak to go up against centre backs and beat them. 

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

Just for a bit of balance and perspective, Mark McKenzie has 5 times more minutes than Bryden.

I'll leave it at that. 

And has shown he is a better player. He’s a Championship player. Not a starter but he’s a very useful squad member. 

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Just for a bit of balance and perspective, Mark McKenzie has 5 times more minutes than Bryden.

I'll leave it at that. 

And Mark McKenzie is absolutely miles in front of Bryden at this moment in time…

He can hold the ball up and win headers for a start, which Bryden isn’t yet physically able to. He is probably slightly better in most other areas too, but that is the biggest one. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Of the youth players IMO

McKenzie and Smith I think are good enough to earn a place in our starting team next season no matter if that’s starting or bench

Ecrepont I feel should be given a chance to be a starting LB especially after the run of form reading has been on at times this season

Hewitt IMO is at best a solid back up option in both RB and midfield 

Bryden I think does have something there but needs to go out on loan (preferably to a team the league below but can see him going League 2 to get guranteed minutes)

rest of them are all still too young yet to be making a major impact in our team next season

Yeah any academy prospects coming through just now are nowhere near Forrest, McCowan and Crawford.

Ecrepont IMO has been very harshly treated with not getting a pop at LB position this season as Reading is woeful with no competition for his position which has caused his mediocre performances. 

Bryden has been the biggest disappointment IMO, not kicked on from last season apart from one decent goal at Cove which was actually on his weaker foot, not sure too why McKenzie has played so little 2nd half of the season as it was him up to with Dipo 1st half of the season we were most dangerous. 

Edited by rb123!

20 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

And Mark McKenzie is absolutely miles in front of Bryden at this moment in time…

He can hold the ball up and win headers for a start, which Bryden isn’t yet physically able to. He is probably slightly better in most other areas too, but that is the biggest one. 

With the exception of finishing I agree.

45 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Yeah any academy prospects coming through just now are nowhere near Forrest, McCowan and Crawford.

Ecrepont IMO has been very harshly treated with not getting a pop at LB position this season as Reading is woeful with no competition for his position which has caused his mediocre performances. 

Bryden has been the biggest disappointment IMO, not kicked on from last season apart from one decent goal at Cove which was actually on his weaker foot, not sure too why McKenzie has played so little 2nd half of the season as it was him up to with Dipo 1st half of the season we were most dangerous. 

Difficult to assess Ecrepont when we’ve seen so little of him, but it does concern me that 4 managers (Kerr, Hopkin, Duffy and Bullen) have now had a good look at him and concluded he’s no better than Reading.

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

From what I've seen so far the current crop of youngsters in and around the first team aren't up to the level of the likes of Forrest, McCowan and Crawford. 

Forrest arguably wouldn't have gotten the chance he did (primarily due to British football's complete obsession with build) unless the club was as fucking skint.

Jackson Longridge likewise could have had a far more productive time at Ayr if he had been given time and patience, especially after that horror show in the playoffs where he was far from the only culpable player.

45 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Difficult to assess Ecrepont when we’ve seen so little of him, but it does concern me that 4 managers (Kerr, Hopkin, Duffy and Bullen) have now had a good look at him and concluded he’s no better than Reading.

Well ain't that a panel of certified footballing legends.

Edited by Thumper

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

Has Reading played at the same level under all of these managers?

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

he’s too weak to go up against centre backs and beat them

That's Dipo's role though, when we're bringing McKenzie off the bench to play off Dipo that's when I'd like to have seen Bryden get more of a chance.

For him to be an unused sub 21 times this season is criminal.

Although if he is "miles behind McKenzie" then maybe football isn't for him.

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

That's Dipo's role though, when we're bringing McKenzie off the bench to play off Dipo that's when I'd like to have seen Bryden get more of a chance.

For him to be an unused sub 21 times this season is criminal.

Although if he is "miles behind McKenzie" then maybe football isn't for him.

He still needs to be able to compete physically with centre halves. He’s shown absolutely nothing to suggest he can play in that role that McKenzie has. He’s a striker. He’s shown that he can make runs and take defenders on but is far too easily pushed about. 

He’s also what? 19? So aye he is miles behind McKenzie who’s played over 100 senior games and that’s to be expected. McKenzie isn’t a world beater but he’s more equipped right now to play at this level and more often than not contributes to the team.