The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Does Ashford have a clause in his contract that he has to start 90% of games? He’s absolutely hopeless. Getting in Dipo’s way, ball getting caught under his feet, can’t shoot, can’t header, no strength… Surely O’Connor had to start ahead of him on Friday? 

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Forrest arguably wouldn't have gotten the chance he did (primarily due to British football's complete obsession with build) unless the club was as fucking skint.

Jackson Longridge likewise could have had a far more productive time at Ayr if he had been given time and patience, especially after that horror show in the playoffs where he was far from the only culpable player.

Well ain't that a panel of certified footballing legends.

Fond memories of Mark Roberts consistently playing Marc fucking Twaddle and an out-of-position, clearly done-in John Robertson ahead of Longridge just because his face didn’t fit.

55 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He still needs to be able to compete physically with centre halves. He’s shown absolutely nothing to suggest he can play in that role that McKenzie has. He’s a striker. He’s shown that he can make runs and take defenders on but is far too easily pushed about. 

He’s also what? 19? So aye he is miles behind McKenzie who’s played over 100 senior games and that’s to be expected. McKenzie isn’t a world beater but he’s more equipped right now to play at this level and more often than not contributes to the team. 

I'd argue not many are miles behind McKenzie but if Bryden isn't getting minutes to prove himself then we need to get him out on loan as soon as we can. 

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I'd argue not many are miles behind McKenzie but if Bryden isn't getting minutes to prove himself then we need to get him out on loan as soon as we can. 

Yeah that’s my point. Like any young player he’s got potential but he isn’t good enough right now and next season he needs to be playing somewhere else. He doesn’t need to go and score 20 goals in a lower league either. He just needs consistent game time. 

2 hours ago, Ayr23 said:

Does Ashford have a clause in his contract that he has to start 90% of games? He’s absolutely hopeless. Getting in Dipo’s way, ball getting caught under his feet, can’t shoot, can’t header, no strength… Surely O’Connor had to start ahead of him on Friday? 

Yeah O'Connor one side, Mullin the other side and fucking go for it, we've got nothing to lose, quite literally!!

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Yeah O'Connor one side, Mullin the other side and fucking go for it, we've got nothing to lose, quite literally!!

Aye, I'd rather go down swinging than play turgid percentage football.

Get intae these teuchter hammerthrowers, Ayr!

12 hours ago, rb123! said:

Exactly. What's the worst thing that could happen? Not getting a play-off place? Having to play in the Championship again next season? Oh, boo-hoo. 

Intae these c***s, Ayr. Give us something to celebrate at least.

Havent heard of any supporters groups putting on a bus for this so I thought the club would have ran at least 1. They spent enough time on Saturday night talking about drinking in an Inverness area pub if they win, so maybe put on a bus for the occasion? Sure they did for the last vital game up at ICT 2 seasons ago

16 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Has Reading played at the same level under all of these managers?

Thought he struggled in his first season but kicked on a good bit last year, to the point that we probably weren’t that bothered about keeping James Maxwell, who seems to be doing well down South.  I’m honestly not sure if Reading has been as bad this season as some folk believe or if he’s just become this season’s McGinty and gets blamed for everything.  I think it’s certainly been the case at times that we expect the full backs to compensate for the lack of pace and quality in the wide areas further up the park - I’d say that’s an area where Reading probably has regressed this season.  He’s always been a bit vulnerable under a high ball at the back post, which other teams have clearly noticed!

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

Thought he struggled in his first season but kicked on a good bit last year, to the point that we probably weren’t that bothered about keeping James Maxwell, who seems to be doing well down South.  I’m honestly not sure if Reading has been as bad this season as some folk believe or if he’s just become this season’s McGinty and gets blamed for everything.  I think it’s certainly been the case at times that we expect the full backs to compensate for the lack of pace and quality in the wide areas further up the park - I’d say that’s an area where Reading probably has regressed this season.  He’s always been a bit vulnerable under a high ball at the back post, which other teams have clearly noticed!

I don't think he's been scapegoated at all. Also, wrt. McGinty at the start of last season he was literally costing us a goal a game (sometimes two!). There were very few voices on the terraces defending him as it was impossible to do so.

For my part, I am comparing Reading with what preceded him - Daniel Harvie. Initially, I thought Reading had the potential to have a similar trajectory to Harvie, but even at his best he has been dreadfully inconsistent. I was more prepared to put up with his inability to block a cross when he was bombing forward and putting crosses in. He's basically done none of that this season and he still cannot block a cross.

He is consistently under the ball for headers, he cannot cut out a cross, he gives away possession far too easily and his decision making under pressure is horrendous. Every other team in the league exploits the weakness, I have no idea how he has been an ever-present or what Ecrepont did to not even get a look in. It is Bullen's biggest blind spot imo. Both fullbacks need replaced. 

Edited by Trogdor
typos

Yeah Reading has been a huge disappointment this season, probably the biggest this season. 

Bullen really needs to find Full backs who aren't afraid of crossing the halfway line and overlapping wingers either that or his rather passive approach is telling the full backs to stay back. 

To be honest, next season I’d settle for full backs that are solid defensively over ones that bomb forward and get crosses in. Ones that do both well are like hens teeth at this level and in the last few years we’ve only really had Daniel Harvie who was an exceptional player at this level especially in his second season. 

23 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Yeah Reading has been a huge disappointment this season, probably the biggest this season. 

Bullen really needs to find Full backs who aren't afraid of crossing the halfway line and overlapping wingers either that or his rather passive approach is telling the full backs to stay back. 

Lewis Strapp leaving us. Would hope he'd step up a level but wouldn't be surprised to see him signing for Ayr or a team in a similar position. 

15 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Lewis Strapp leaving us. Would hope he'd step up a level but wouldn't be surprised to see him signing for Ayr or a team in a similar position. 

Would take him but with Reading still under contract I think the best we can hope for is Ecrepont forcing his way in. Unless we can find someone to take Reading off our hands that is. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at us either.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Would take him but with Reading still under contract I think the best we can hope for is Ecrepont forcing his way in. Unless we can find someone to take Reading off our hands that is. 

Greenock Morton need a left back. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Would take him but with Reading still under contract I think the best we can hope for is Ecrepont forcing his way in. Unless we can find someone to take Reading off our hands that

I think a left back will be signed in the summer and Paddy will do his final year as cover  .