The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Btw any of the Ayr fans that stand next to me at Hampden on here, Hiya pals. 

2 hours ago, AuAl said:

Was also next to some other Ayr fans at Hampden. South Stand Upper West. Hello to you also, if you're on here. Sound folks.

Ayr boys here, Ayr boys there, Aaaayr boys everywhere!

24 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Motherwell have sold van veen for £500k and he's been banging in the goals in the premiership so if the club are looking for £500k which i've heard (unsure if true), we've got no chance of getting that. 

I think if we get offered £250k plus good add-ons which could take it up to £300k we have to grab it with both hands, that sort of transfer fee for a player in the 2nd tier of Scottish Football will be unheard of. 

Plus longer we drag it out and say didn't accept an offer until start of August, that would put us in a very difficult position with little time left of the transfer market to find a suitable replacement. 

There's a decent argument that Dipo's value shouldn't be significantly less than van Veen given his age, track record, attributes.

23 minutes ago, Iain said:

There's a decent argument that Dipo's value shouldn't be significantly less than van Veen given his age, track record, attributes.

Motherwell got quite a good lump sum for him. Dipo is something else though and we should be considering ourselves fortunate that we can get money for him, unlike Shankland.

Van Veen is on the latter part of his career, Akinyemi has just lit the fuse to the powder keg and he is definitely ready to prove himself at a higher level.

I don't like seeing talent like that leave Ayr tbh 😔 as I always have a small belief they might reappear in Ayr colours later on and it never happens.

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I saw a pic of Fraser Bryden the other day at the opening of a local butchers. He seems to have bulked up quite a bit in the last few weeks. Maybe play him in the LC diddy games before we decide to punt him on loan or not 

I hope he doesn't get Gilmour's groin like the last player who bulked up!

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

You don't think these teams have, or have had, financial input "topping up" their turnover? 

I notice your list of 6 clubs has dropped to 3 as well....😉

It could be argued that other clubs have had greater financial backing, like Ross County. St Johnstone have been phenomenally well run for decades., not really the silver bullet you thought it was. 

Livingston were promoted back to back and managed to consolidate in the premier league. As did Hamilton, Inverness have never spent money on players and are skint. 

42 minutes ago, Iain said:

Dipo's worth as much as somebody is prepared to offer. We then have decisions to make whether to accept or not. Motherwell struck lucky with Van Veen if those figures are accurate, I don't know Dutch football finances but there will be no linear figures to what a club buying Dipo will offer us in comparison to what Motherwell received.

Like selling your house or car, you'll have a figure in mind, give or take, that you'll shake hands at. 

We'll be no different though there comes a point in time when we might, probably will, be forced to sell.

Buying clubs will know exactly that.

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Players like Liam Smith, Lewis Strapp and Paul McMullan aren't 'bang average' and are far better than what we currently have.  Like I said previously if we're actually saying we can't afford them then we might as well lock up Somerset and be done with it. 

Who said we can’t afford them ??? I said they are looking for a lot more money than they are worth , that does not say we can’t afford them , a number of players prefer playing closer to home when they get a little older , we at the end of the day are a business and should not be paying stupid wages on players 

Edited by Finlay21

33 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

It could be argued that other clubs have had greater financial backing, like Ross County. St Johnstone have been phenomenally well run for decades., not really the silver bullet you thought it was. 

Livingston were promoted back to back and managed to consolidate in the premier league. As did Hamilton, Inverness have never spent money on players and are skint. 

Its the chicken and egg scenario, I've often thought its more difficult to get out of the Championship than it is to actually stay in the Premiership once you're there.

The Brown family would've been generous in their backing of St Johnstone for a number of years and you see now how they're struggling.

Inverness will be paying the price for a bloated wage budget in comparison to the attendances over a number of seasons I'd have thought.

Hamilton as well.

Livingston do miracles in recruitment every season, when they don't get it quite so right they'll pay the price.

I don't doubt for a minute that we should be aiming for the top league and hopefully in time we'll get there. Not by throwing silly money at it though.

Edited by BukyOHare

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

But we obviously ARE, hence the reason we finished 2nd last year !!

Would you rather us have signed guys that Raith signed etc and finished where they finished ??

I honestly don't know what some folk are wanting or expecting.....

That is just continuing your trend of polishing a lot of shite to try and fit your narrative.
Take Dipo out that team and replace him with Adeloye. A huffy drama Queen who gets 15 goals. 
we’d have been below Raith and possibly a couple of other teams as well. 
We have 5 players that could be relied on to play every week, 6 if you include Dipo. No full backs, wide players, defensive midfielders, attacking midfielders and one forward(for now) 

1 hour ago, diege said:

Paul McMullan is the one I would really like us to snap up somehow, always been a danger against us, although I could see him end up at Queens Park and be frightening with Thomas & Paton, or back at Dunfermline, as he probably worked with McPake at Dundee

Liam Smith would be handy back in too, and I do get intrigued by the signings from down south, although very hit or miss

See Voice doing the Dipo advert again? Dipo does appear to still be away on holiday to be fair. Although has time to post cryptic emoji's, think the quicker thats all sorted out the best for both

McMullan is signing for Derry City, rejected an offer from us

Hope this doesn't turn ugly as it really doesn't need to, the way we go about this as a club too could have bearing on any potential "next Akinyemi's" coming up from down south to go down the same route if the club make an absolute arse of trying to sell him for money. 

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Take Dipo out that team and replace him with Adeloye.

That's not a bad idea, as long as there's another striker signed as well. 😊

Think Adeloye wasted himself with that move. His agent wasn't the greatest.

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Its the chicken and egg scenario, I've often thought its more difficult to get out of the Championship than it is to actually stay in the Premiership once you're there.

The Brown family would've been generous in their backing of St Johnstone for a number of years until his passing and you see now how they're struggling.

Inverness will be paying the price for a bloated wage budget in comparison to the attendances over a number of seasons I'd have thought.

Hamilton as well.

Livingston do miracles in recruitment every season, when they don't get it quite so right they'll pay the price.

I don't doubt for a minute that we should be aiming for the top league and hopefully in time we'll get there. Not by throwing silly money at it though.

St Johnstone have off field money making activities that have kept the club going, along with player sales and not spending money. 

Hamilton made money from selling players they developed.

Inverness had a squad that got them through the divisions and once in the premier league had a mixed transfer policy. 

I’m not expecting silly money to be thrown at it, but we are paying enough money to tempt these guys north, either paying their accommodation or enough of a wage for them to relocate and our success rate has been poor. I’m not sure it is the lowest end, beggars can’t be choosers market some people think we are shopping in 

10 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

The Brown family would've been generous in their backing of St Johnstone for a number of years until his passing and you see now how they're struggling.

The Brown family only put money into Saints once, to help sign Billy Dodds in 1994, and the reclaimed their money less than 6 months later.

Our money comes from not spunking our load in the 00's and suffering because of that, and non-football related activities (funeral teas/all weather pitch rental etc.) which brings in over £1m every year. We've also sold youth products over the last decade which has brought in £2m.

Claiming the Browns "funded us" is just wrong in every way.

1 minute ago, Rb123 said:

Hope this doesn't turn ugly as it really doesn't need to, the way we go about this as a club too could have bearing on any potential "next Akinyemi's" coming up from down south to go down the same route if the club make an absolute arse of trying to sell him for money. 

The club don’t need to sell him but if an offer is made that ticks the boxes then he’s off, simple as that. 
The club will want it sorted soon as well, don’t want him leaving on deadline day and we are left with what we have got.

15 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Who said we can’t afford them ??? I said they are looking for a lot more money than they are worth , that does not say we can’t afford them , a number of players prefer playing closer to home when they get a little older , we at the end of the day are a business and should not be paying stupid wages on players 

So you know for a fact we've spoken to all 3 of those players and they are all asking for what the club perceive as ' stupid wages'?

if we want to progress as a club we need to show a bit of ambition on the park for once and speculate to accumulate. We aren't going to get a better right back than Liam Smith so just give him what he wants even if it's a bit more than we thought we'd have to pay.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Claiming the Browns "funded us" is just wrong in every way.

I don't think it was ever intended as crudely as that but if you can say 100% that neither the family or his company have contributed to the ongoing running of the club or infrastructure, then I stand corrected. 👍