The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

I honestly struggle to justify how these players go and play in a country like Saudi Arabia even when the money is that much when their football is like a farmers league compared to Britain/Europe. 

You can have all the money in the world but what satisfication you going to get playing out there instead of among the best clubs in the world in Europe? 

The way I look at it is you work in Waitrose just now but Iceland turn up and offer you 5 times your salary. 9/10 you would move. 

most footballers don’t drink and live healthily, so moving to a country where it’s dry 350 days a year, continue to live a healthy lifestyle and get paid more is definitely a reason to move for a few years

16 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

I honestly struggle to justify how these players go and play in a country like Saudi Arabia even when the money is that much when their football is like a farmers league compared to Britain/Europe. 

You can have all the money in the world but what satisfication you going to get playing out there instead of among the best clubs in the world in Europe? 

I think if the player is young enough it’s a smart move. Go over at 23/24 for a couple seasons. Rake it in and then if you fancy it come back to a bigger league just in time for your peak. 

28 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

I feel that if I got offered double my salary to move to e.g. the USA I'd have the strength of will to turn it down on the basis that I can't guarantee my child's safety.

If a petrostate offered me literally 20 times my salary and promised not only permanent 15-degree aircon but a cadre of bodyguards, and told me I only needed to be there for a year, I cannot imagine turning it down at all.

What is Benzema playing for now? His two rivals for the (still hilariously corrupt) top world player award are both gone. He's won literally everything already. And he's a nonce. Why not move up into the ranks of the truly rich from the merely stupidly wealthy?

Edited by Thumper

8 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Free for season ticket holders, however if you done it on the payment scheme who knows if you actually have one.

I sent them money a few weeks ago and haven't heard a thing other than they'll be in touch...

1 hour ago, Rb123 said:

It's stranger to me that they are actually willing to live and work in Saudi, especially the guts who've already been earning like f**k and don't need the cash.  

If you are talking pure football and I presume this is based on Jota, he was willing to come play in our farmers league for vastly less cash, so his move at least makes sense in that regard.  

7 hours ago, Rb123 said:

The Saudi league is now much stronger than the Scottish league, especially with all the top European players going for the mega bucks.

8 hours ago, Rb123 said:

I imagine they'll anticipate the Saudi league becoming much more visible than it has been up until now. Which I expect it will, pretty sure even the Chinese league was televised here when they were throwing money around to a lesser degree than the Saudis have been.

11 hours ago, Honestmen said:

I was told by email today that my st was being processed and will be there by weekend

I sent mail to tickets mail address with my email and ST details and Nick Provan mailed a ticket to me... 

8 hours ago, itzdrk said:

especially the guts who've already been earning like f**k and don't need the cash.

They might not need it for their leccy bills but it's pretty obvious that rich people continue to care about having more money. And fundamentally, getting an extra 100k a week is quite a bit more of an incentive to move country than e.g. getting an extra 100 a week to move to Perth or whatever.

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

And fundamentally, getting an extra 100k a week is quite a bit more of an incentive to move country than e.g. getting an extra 100 a week to move to Perth or whatever.

Didn't know St Johnstone were in the running for Jota, they'll be gutted they've missed out.

It's definitely a case of players being settled in an area. For example up here, Scott Allardice and Carl Tremarco are two recent examples of going from The Caley to County, likewise Billy McKay and Michael Gardyne (temporarily) going the other way. 4 players (3 with young children, and the wrong side of 30) who definitely wouldn't be arsed moving to the central belt to sign for Ayr, or anyone else.

It's very difficult for clubs with the same/less budget as the clubs the player is currently at to entice them to uproot.

The Caley and County have the same problem getting players to move up here.  County less so for obvious MacGregor reasons, but I've still heard him talking about losing out due to location.

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

They might not need it for their leccy bills but it's pretty obvious that rich people continue to care about having more money. And fundamentally, getting an extra 100k a week is quite a bit more of an incentive to move country than e.g. getting an extra 100 a week to move to Perth or whatever.

And that's why we should eat the rich 🍽️

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

4 players (3 with young children, and the wrong side of 30) who definitely wouldn't be arsed moving to the central belt to sign for Ayr, or anyone else.

We’re not in the central belt . It’s the glorious south west geezer . 

1 minute ago, railwayend said:

We’re not in the central belt . It’s the glorious south west geezer . 

Same thing.  Anything below Perth is the Central Belt to us.

1 minute ago, railwayend said:

Yeah we know and anything with four legs and wool is fair game too . 

Isn't that more a Dumfries and Galloway carry on than an Ayrshire one?  It's needles and Rangers in your neck of the woods? 😎