The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, BukyOHare said:

So if you disagree with the negativity on here then you're a happy clapper?

I seem to recall that you literally said that people with a different opinion would rather the club get beat. That's WATTOO territory. Never go full WATTOO.

3 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

No idea. You just said one look at their squads shows that they are better than ours. The club have said there is not much difference in budget. That can only mean we are not very good at it.

My point is I suspect they did spend more than we could and had better squads because of it.

Regardless of what was said last night.

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

That makes sense. There is a middle ground, I think.

You have said this a few times but most of your reply’s are YOU ARE WRONG BAD SUPPORTERS rather than have a counter argument. 

7 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

You have said this a few times but most of your reply’s are YOU ARE WRONG BAD SUPPORTERS rather than have a counter argument. 

That's not what I've ever said, or certainly meant, if that's how it comes across then  that's totally on me. I'd like to think that if I offer a different opinion I try and back it up with some reasoning.

The world was not ending after 25 minutes today and maybe I'm just not very good at being on here, especially after too many pints of the black stuff.

Edited by BukyOHare

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

That's not what I've ever said, or certainly meant, if that's how it comes across then I that's totally on me. I'd like to think that if I offer a different opinion I try and back it up with some reasoning.

The world was not ending after 25 minutes today and maybe I'm just not very good at being on here, especially after too many pints of the black stuff.

There are very few positives to take from a 1-1 draw with a team just promoted from league 2 other than we didn’t lose.

It is the first competitive game, Stirling Albion have just been promoted and are on a high, it was never going to be an easy game. 

However, we put in a performance that is entirely typical of the last two years, it is no surprise to a lot of the support and that is where the bulk of the frustration comes from. 

This is the reality of the situation, there may be other things that you can see, highlighting these things is more likely to start a discussion rather than saying that people are just being negative. 

I need to see something in this cup campaign to show that it just won't be a continuation of second half of last season. Because that was amongst, if not, not the worst I've seen, certainly the most boring. Utterly bored out my skull watching them for large portions, utterly predictable, generic and had me questioning why I was even there spending money on this.

8 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

That's not what I've ever said, or certainly meant, if that's how it comes across then  that's totally on me. I'd like to think that if I offer a different opinion I try and back it up with some reasoning.

You’re definitely on the happy clapper end of the spectrum but there is far, far worse. If this forum didn’t have different opinions it would be a bit shite.

One look on the SRE makes you seem like a doom merchant.

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

There are very few positives to take from a 1-1 draw with a team just promoted from league 2 other than we didn’t lose.

It is the first competitive game, Stirling Albion have just been promoted and are on a high, it was never going to be an easy game. 

However, we put in a performance that is entirely typical of the last two years, it is no surprise to a lot of the support and that is where the bulk of the frustration comes from. 

This is the reality of the situation, there may be other things that you can see, highlighting these things is more likely to start a discussion rather than saying that people are just being negative. 

I've said enough, too much I think.👍

24 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

When was this? 

I got in touch about a month ago and was told that in terms of the highlights and media stuff that the club were aware that it hasn’t been good enough and were looking to recruit for it. 

Mathie said last night that if they get the person they are after then it should improve so I can only hope they’ve identified someone and are trying to get them in. 

I'd rather not drop the club in it. Other than to say it was a decent bit before your interaction.

The subject matter was similar to yourself in that it was to do with the quality of the highlights.

I got a rapid response from SLO who passed it on to the club but I never heard anything else back from the club.

To try and offer a balanced argument I would say that the squad as it is will struggle this season. I don’t think that can be disagreed with. Even with Akinyemi it’s a bottom two squad at best. Lacking a lot in the full back areas, nothing special in midfield in terms of contributing going forward, wide options are pretty poor besides Jamie Murphy and we have no presence up front. That’s quite a lot to resolve at this stage of the season. In times gone by you’d maybe go into the league cup games needing one or two reinforcements and those games would be an indication of what’s missing. We made really good signings in the last few years after these games like Lawrence Shankland in 2017, Liam Smith in 2018, Cammy Smith in 2020 and then last season when we got Mullin and Chalmers. There’s a running theme there. One or two quality additions to take the squad up a notch. This season however we’re looking at four signings if Bullen gets what he’s after. That’s a big ask imo and the way we’re looking we need all four to be a success. Not many clubs have that kind of success ratio for new signings. It’ll be interesting to see how we get on but I would say we’ll be doing well to get two good and two half decent players in. I can only hope that’s enough. 

The conundrum we’re facing is that there’s a fair bit of uncertainty surrounding over how good Bullen in. It can’t be argued that last season in the league it was a success. The Scottish Cups was heartbreaking and the playoffs were embarrassing. How much of those three things can you attribute to Bullen. Because if you’re praising him for the league you also have to criticise him for the other two and I think that’s fair. I think the performance in the second half against Falkirk was poor and had a change been made to shore up the midfield it may have been different. The playoffs are difficult as we missed Akinyemi in the first game but again the decision to choose Hewitt over McAllister and to go to Firhill playing a 442 was a big call. Arguably he got it wrong as we were wide open all game and the tie was over in the first leg. Second leg is what it is and we were never overturning it. I don’t really blame anyone for it. I think what he said last night about the players being embarrassed in that game was true but ultimately the first game is where the mistakes were made that cost us. 

If we move on to recruitment so far then I’d say it started off quite well. We lost McAdams, Kirk, Mullin, McAlear and Magure. We replaced them relatively quickly with Mutch, Stanger, Murphy, Pendlebury and Amartey. If I’m being honest I’d say those replacements are either mostly equal to or an improvement on what we had with Pendlebury and Mutch already looking better that McAlear and McAdams but Stanger is probably a downgrade on Kirk but if we’re being honest we were all expecting that given how good Kirk was. The issue is that last night the club said they knew Dipo would be leaving and also said the trouble with not having his replacement in the building is that agents and clubs will try and get more money from Ayr knowing they have just had an injection of cash. So no one on here can say the club didn’t have a chance to prepare or there was no chance of someone being here to replace him. It should’ve been Ruari Paton but that’s not to say that it’s excusable that we have no replacement. What it’s led to is pointless chasing of Brian Graham and Billy McKay, who are very different strikers and that in itself shows that we don’t know really know what kind of forward we want. Even Bullen last night said he wants some of this and some of that but if that was the case then it sounds like we’re looking for way more that six players. So either Bullen is hedging his bets in saying four but wanting more or the club don’t really have a solid plan of what it is they’re after and they’ll take what they can get. 

I think the club has done a lot of things right and Ayr is in the good hands but I have this horrible feeling it’s going to go wrong and a decision has to be made on Bullen’s future. A LOT is riding on what decisions we make in the transfer market between now and the end of August. 

28 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Mathie said last night that if they get the person they are after then it should improve so I can only hope they’ve identified someone and are trying to get them in.

Think he's just swapped a new player signing response there.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'd rather not drop the club in it. Other than to say it was a decent bit before your interaction.

The subject matter was similar to yourself in that it was to do with the quality of the highlights.

I got a rapid response from SLO who passed it on to the club but I never heard anything else back from the club.

Aye don’t get me wrong it was a very brief word saying that they were addressing it and I’d imagine we weren’t the only two to get in touch but that is a wee bit annoying. I’ll admit I wasn’t expecting a response but felt I had to get in touch before slagging them off on here (as most will know it’s not something I often do). 

41 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

That makes sense. There is a middle ground, I think.

There is a middle ground. See D'Jaffos post above which I think is both reasonable and fair.

However, saying things like:

It must really ruin the Saturday night of some of our supporters because we didn't get beat isn't remotely in that middle area.

It's the language of division, you can't have a pop at others for being negative after 25 mins into the game (especially if they were watching it) then come out with that stuff. You're going to get a reaction (not unreasonably I might add).

I also think the way you are dismissive of the League Cup is bizarre given progression from the group is the financial equivalent of 180 season tickets. That's not to be sniffed at, especially when we all accept the squad needs strengthening.

Edited by Trogdor

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

McCall managed to sign top players and bring them to Ayr, combined players to step down, move from Aberdeen etc.

We tied ambition to season ticket sales and mobilised fans to try and keep the best players we had.

Currently we can’t beat Morton to sign players, while we up season ticket and gate prices as well as releasing 3 fucking shirts. But if fans dig deeper in their pockets, things will get better.

eat your cereal etc 

That buzz as an Ayr United supporter from after full time title celebrations in May 2018 to first league home game against Partick in August 2018 i don't think will ever be matched IMO

There's riding on the crest of the wave and then there was that which was riding on the top of a wave as high as Mount Everest 

2 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

That buzz as an Ayr United supporter from after full time title celebrations in May 2018 to first league home game against Partick in August 2018 i don't think will ever be matched IMO

There's riding on the crest of the wave and then there was that which was riding on the top of a wave as high as Mount Everest 

Aye it was a great time. Spending the summer seeing players like Shankland sign up again and also seeing the arrival of decent players to address problem / lack of depth areas (i.e. Andy Murdoch and Daniel Harvie). Was great. Hit the ground running for the first couple of months of the season too, battering teams for fun.