The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Could it be argued that Dipo achieved a comparable goalscoring record to Shankland with less support?  Imagine Shankland and Dipo with prime Moff playing behind them....

It's a fair point, maybe it's just that we had Shankland for longer and therefore I think of him scoring more big goals. I was so buzzing when he re-signed after promotion.

The team Dipo was in is far inferior to Shankland's team (not to mention the less attractive style of play and tactics).

I'm now back to being unable to choose 🤣.

If you have folk singing about 'black b*****ds' you're absolutely asking for trouble no matter how your frame it in your head. You can almost guarantee that the words 'PC gone mad' or 'snowflakes' will be used to justify it. Nobody thinks it's a KKK rally by any stretch of the imagination but all it takes is for one perception and a player to go to the media and it blows up.

Just now, eez-eh said:

Does anyone on here actually know anyone who still uses that phrase in everyday conversation?

I've heard it still said. Kinda like "gads, thats black", by good mates who would be mortified if they offended anybody. Never felt any crypto-racism going on there. Just folk talking reflexively in their local dialect. But it is dying out. Could say that about most of the local patter right enough. 

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Does anyone on here actually know anyone who still uses that phrase in everyday conversation?

I've not heard it used in years. 

Anyway, singing the phrase "black b*****ds" is - at best - ill-advised and monumentally stupid. The people singing it know full well the connotations of that phrase yet sing it anyway. 

Bin fire this morning  .

It's up to the slo to address this matter on a Saturday. It sounds racist so get him to bring it up with the young lot that it is no longer tolerable in this day and age .and if needed bans will  be issued for anyone caught singing it .

And back to the striker patter - I rate Akinyemi above them all, except Hurst. He was direct, positive, intelligent, a unit and worked his socks off. Totally lethal in the box too. He pretty much was the team last year. Genuinely outstanding player. Sad that he went to a non league team as i felt he could've played for anybody in Scotland outisde of the Old Firm, or anybody in England outside of the Championship. But money talks i guess. 

Looking forward to seeing Rose on Saturday. With the service from the likes of Murphy and the direct attacking runs of Amartey you've got to imagine there will be chances. 

Hope he hits the ground running.

Yeah agree with sentiment of most that using term "black b*****ds" just doesn't sit right and can easily just change a word to dirty of filthy. 

The HIV one to be fair is even more blatant and is obvious homophobic. Very sad to especially with so many younger voices you hear sing it.

Both to be fair would make me feel hesitant of bringing friends who happened to be black or gay to matches. 

1 minute ago, AuAl said:

Looking forward to seeing Rose on Saturday. With the service from the likes of Murphy and the direct attacking runs of Amartey you've got to imagine there will be chances. 

Hope he hits the ground running.

Even if he takes a couple of games to bed in and find form, it feels like we have goals in the rest of the team. The service from Murphy in particular against St Johnstone was brilliant and we should really be a threat at set pieces this year, Stanger taking the goal well gives me hope of 5+ from him and McGinty this year from Corners/freekicks. We've still to see what McGeady and Rose can offer from set pieces, but it is looking promising early doors. 

34 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

I would worry if we go 3/3 this year that other clubs will start sniffing around and trying to hoover up the talent from those leagues, we have a good thing going so far though and long may it continue. We are potentially showing 2 very different pathways for players this year, which will make us an attractive proposition in future windows.

The first being obvious as above, fairly young player comes to the clubs develops and has a decent season then has the option to move on. The other being the McGeady project, if successful it could open the doors to alot of veterans viewing us as a real opportunity to stay in the game post playing career whilst we gain their experience on and off the park. 

We're hardly breaking the mould with our signing policy, lower leagues of England to Scotland is a very well worn path.  

Saying that it is an Ayrshire phrase and that it isn't racist is the same as calling one of your mates a p**f, f****t or just simply gay when they wont do something. To you, it maybe isn't a harmful word and you are using it in a different tense, but to people who have had it spat at them as abuse, it is. 

Anyway, back to the football:

We really need to be getting 60 minutes into Rose on Saturday, as we can’t be playing Morton with Bryden starting up front. I would bring Reading back in, and most likely keep the rest of the team the same. I think Bullen might play Mutch again too. 

39 minutes ago, grazza said:

Yeah agree with sentiment of most that using term "black b*****ds" just doesn't sit right and can easily just change a word to dirty of filthy. 

The HIV one to be fair is even more blatant and is obvious homophobic. Very sad to especially with so many younger voices you hear sing it.

Both to be fair would make me feel hesitant of bringing friends who happened to be black or gay to matches. 

Would be interested to hear whether anyone has raised these songs with the SLO or the club and what response they got?

No we we are black and white it's in our DNA as a club but that song need to go, for example our new striker is from Jamaica I sincerely hope he's never been called the BB name, but he has no idea that the context is dirty from being down the pit, in 2023 surely we can change one word to dirty, manky, stinking anything but black.

I completely agree that we shouldn’t be singing “black b*****ds”, it’s extremely dated, and I cringe every time I hear it. I assume the vast majority of people (mainly teenagers) who are signing it aren’t being deliberately racist, but if all their mates are singing it and they’ve never really thought about it, they probably aren’t aware of the racist connotations. As far as they’re concerned, they are singing about poor hygiene and are none the wiser. It really is such a bad look for the club. 

I’ve thought for a while, that the solution is quite simple. The board need to put out a clear message that these songs cannot be sung. Never mind the SLO, it’s Smith or Mathie that need to come out and say it. People caught singing about “black b*****ds”, “HIV haha”, or necrophelia are removed from the stadium there and then. I don’t know the logistics of how stewards, security etc would go about enforcing that. 

Edited by Ayr23