The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Doesn’t look it from the outside perspective taking us from 3rd bottom to second in one season is spectacular. However our style of play at times has been turgid but if your not watching it every week you wouldn’t know that 

Not to mention that although the team came second they didn't even win half of their games. That means most weeks the result didn't make up for the football.

In the last four full seasons the second place teams won 60, 62, 65 and 65 points. Ayr managed 58 last season.

That said, the team looked better against St Johnstone than in any non-Cove game last season so I'm hopeful we're on the cusp of a more satisfying experience this year.

Edited by Iain

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

For the North Terracers among us, where are people planning to relocate to for tomorrow?!

Tough choice!

Bring your own digger party

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

For the North Terracers among us, where are people planning to relocate to for tomorrow?!

Tough choice!

Good point, those of us who stand behind the goals are concerned about these interloupers

25 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Doesn’t look it from the outside perspective taking us from 3rd bottom to second in one season is spectacular. However our style of play at times has been turgid but if your not watching it every week you wouldn’t know that 

The style of play has generally been pretty bad but it has been effective as times. When it doesn't work it looks awful though.

21 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

Reckon we need to look at what's changed in the last couple of seasons and ask ourselves "are we moving forward (or stagnating at a level that suits some)?". For me, we're moving in the right direction for sure. Yes, some performances have been less than good, the two play off games spring to mind even if there were some mitigating circumstances. But finishing second was a great result imv.

I'm an optimist and, given a fair wind and some deserved backing, I think we'll be okay. Not world-beaters (ha ha) but doing the right things from where I sit. I love to see academy players coming through and the latest batch of signings seem like a step beyond where we were this time last year. Dipo is the exception of course and I wish him well but the money we got for him will be crucial I feel. The stadium improvements (car park, the hub, pitch and my home on the North Terracing) all point toward a club that isn't standing still and working hard at getting the support onside. I'd love to see more backing from the locals instead of those who succumb to becoming knuckle-draggers supporting the Glaswegian sisters - maybe that's too much for some but I live in eternal hope.     

The progress has been undeniable, but a few of the performances have been abberations. Progress is seldom perfect though.

29 minutes ago, Peil said:

Good point, those of us who stand behind the goals are concerned about these interloupers

If you stand behind the goal I’m afraid any performance  comments  are invalid as you only have half an idea what is going on half the time!

The issue with how we perceive progress is that we primarily gauge it by how the team perform. A new stand and hub is great, but if you're shite then you’re shite.  And we were really really shite. 

That said, it was Bullen’s first real  season and he managed to build a team out of nowhere that fluked its way to 2nd, but finished 2nd nonetheless so im not diminishing that. 

I think the signings made in the summer look the part and have injected that bit of experience we needed to the team. Because of that I’m optimistic that we’ll at least see better football on the pitch this year. 

So far the progress off the pitch hasnt been matched by the performances on it, but I’ve got a gut feeling that we’ll see the two aligning more this season. 

If you stand behind the goal I’m afraid any performance  comments  are invalid as you only have half an idea what is going on half the time!

say's the guy who gets soaked and hypothermia for half the season.

Besides, when we don't score we're shite and when we do score it's magic - the rest is just nonsense made up by pseuds

1 minute ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

The issue with how we perceive progress is that we primarily gauge it by how the team perform. A new stand and hub is great, but if you're shite then you’re shite.  And we were really really shite. 

That said, it was Bullen’s first real  season and he managed to build a team out of nowhere that fluked its way to 2nd, but finished 2nd nonetheless so im not diminishing that. 

I think the signings made in the summer look the part and have injected that bit of experience we needed to the team. Because of that I’m optimistic that we’ll at least see better football on the pitch this year. 

So far the progress off the pitch hasnt been matched by the performances on it, but I’ve got a gut feeling that we’ll see the two aligning more this season. 

I don’t really buy that we fluked our way to second, you can’t fluke your way through an entire season! Tiny margins yes, but that’s an entirely different thing. 

I don’t really buy that we fluked our way to second, you can’t fluke your way through an entire season! Tiny margins yes, but that’s an entirely different thing. 

Fair enough. Maybe the wrong word for it. But a last minute winner by mark mckenzie in the last game of the season away to inverness, as well as other results on the night,  put us there. If not a fluke, then extremely good luck i guess. 

As i said, im not trying to diminish the achievement. It was great. 

3 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Fair enough. Maybe the wrong word for it. But a last minute winner by mark mckenzie in the last game of the season away to inverness, as well as other results on the night,  put us there. If not a fluke, then extremely good luck i guess. 

As i said, im not trying to diminish the achievement. It was great. 

Yeah, I know what you mean! 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Tough choice!

Does the situation with the construction mean both ends are available to home fans, can’t see how ht change ends working

Just now, Honestmen said:

Does the situation with the construction mean both ends are available to home fans, can’t see how ht change ends working

Would assume they couldn't let us transfer enmasse via the stand? 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Tough choice!

Gonna watch the pixellot as it'll be better than the pillarfest we have to choose from.  

Enclosure might be good but you probably need to be in early to be in there. 

If we get the railway end there's the 'south terrace'. 

Then the sad old stand with pillars everywhere.

Then the Somerset Road end with pillars everywhere and no depth so you dont have a real grasp of the match.    

Edited by itzdrk

The hypocrisy of some fans to tell an Annan fan he’s wrong for wanting their manager out after a successful season, only for the same fans to want Bullen out after a successful season.

Annan look possibilities to do a Brechin and fail to reach double figures. I doubt Peter Murphy (as much as I like him) will be getting a better job any time soon.

I think Bullen has been good but the style of football was turgid for long periods of games or even the whole match. 

I am heartened that Bullen seems to realise that and at Stirling we tried to play out from the back.

Hopefully with the lush playing surface I'll get some liquid football tomorrow! 🤞