The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think the fact we only used three subs tells you that Brown knows we don’t have a lot of quality in depth. A replacement for Ahui (Oakley?), a midfielder and another forward would do for me. Noticed Brown talking up Thomas in the post match comments. Given he was linked with a move away a couple of weeks ago, I’d be asking if he was still wanting out. 

You'd take Dom Thomas in a second if you could get him surely. He's always been a stand out player in this league and has got that bit of dig that we're missing. We've got wingers but Murphy won't play every game, McGeady is done and nobody fancies Amartey it seems.

We badly need a RB though. I like McAllister in that he gives 100% and genuinely cares but he's a squad player at best.

We also either need an attacking midfielder or a genuine solid holding midfielder who'd allow Dempsey to get forward more, where I think he's at his best.

1 minute ago, Scott-ish said:

You'd take Dom Thomas in a second if you could get him surely. He's always been a stand out player in this league and has got that bit of dig that we're missing. We've got wingers but Murphy won't play every game, McGeady is done and nobody fancies Amartey it seems.

We badly need a RB though. I like McAllister in that he gives 100% and genuinely cares but he's a squad player at best.

We also either need an attacking midfielder or a genuine solid holding midfielder who'd allow Dempsey to get forward more, where I think he's at his best.

Thomas can play as an attacking midfielder. Played more centrally for Dumbarton in League 1 I believe. 

I found both centre midfielders very frustrating today, they weren’t awful but each of them played passes straight to opposition or played it to teammates who were instantly under pressure as soon as they touched the ball and then they lost it straight away. There were better options available but I suppose it’s easier to see in the stand. 

Edited by ryanayr1987

Aye I thought Syla was immense on Tuesday there but today I felt he was caught on the ball far too often. Bit too much hesitation when he should just be keeping the ball moving. Few misplaced passes from Dempsey as well. I do feel we still controlled quite a lot of the play through the middle though today, more so than QP.

Edited by AUcal

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Thomas can play as an attacking midfielder. Played more centrally for Dumbarton in League 1 I believe. 

He'd be my #1 target I think then. Always impressed by him. 

Feel genuinely excited about our management team to be honest. They'll not stand with their arms folded off we're not performing. That whole squad will need to raise their games.

Full backs a lot higher today and Dempsey filling in at the back makes wonder if Brown will go to a back 3. Also Brown went straight to goalkeeping coach when Albinson launched goal kick rather than use defenders with minute’s to go.

Brown was great to watch today. Loved it when he seemed set for a square go with mcallister, and when he hauled syla up. The high intensity, high energy kinda management is what we need. That kinda jolt can get the best outta generally substandard players.  Loved it. 

6 minutes ago, Ayrmail said:

Full backs a lot higher today and Dempsey filling in at the back makes wonder if Brown will go to a back 3. Also Brown went straight to goalkeeping coach when Albinson launched goal kick rather than use defenders with minute’s to go.

Maybe more likely we’ll sign a midfielder who is more suited to playing at the base of midfield. I don’t think that’s the game of Syla or Dempsey. Someone who can recycle the ball, win it back and drop in as a make shift centre back when pushing forward. 

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Maybe more likely we’ll sign a midfielder who is more suited to playing at the base of midfield. I don’t think that’s the game of Syla or Dempsey. Someone who can recycle the ball, win it back and drop in as a make shift centre back when pushing forward. 

Surely that literally is Syla’s game! He has also told us that’s the style of player he is and that’s what it looks like to me IMO. 

He is very inexperienced but there is definitely something there to work with. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Surely that literally is Syla’s game! He has also told us that’s the style of player he is and that’s what it looks like to me IMO. 

He is very inexperienced but there is definitely something there to work with. 

He plays the same game as Dempsey imo

27 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don’t think Brown will tolerate Callum’s approach judging by this 

Such a difference in body language between someone who actually wants to communicate and be asked tough questions vs someone just looking to have the next soundbite teed up.

28 minutes ago, Ayrmail said:

What I noticed today was after the second goal and when McGeady and Bryden were on we were in a 4-2-3-1 out of possession, with Bryden wide left and McGeady behind McKensie. But when we had the ball Reading pushed much further up, Dempsey dropped deeper to form almost a back 3 with the centre halves, Bryden moved inside and McAllister moved inside a bit to almost create a 3-2-5 style shape to try and take the game to Queens in the closing stages and keep them in their own half. Don't think doing that would work long term as it looked like it was a one off thing considering Queens only had 10 men, but it does make me think that a back 3 would work, especially with Sanders coming in who would've played in a back 3 under McInnes at Killie and another right back coming in.

If it is Oakley who is signing at RB, I think he is much more solid going forward than McAllister would be, and the fact that Brown let Reading push up so much today shows that he trusts him going forward (I felt Reading did well today bar 1 or 2 slack passes). This could see us lining up a bit like:

Albinson

Sanders Stanger McGinty

Oakley Dempsey Syla Reading

Chalmers Dowds Murphy

It wouldn't be my first choice formation as McGinty may be a bit exposed on the left but I could maybe see us using it in games against more quality opposition, and I'm fairly certain Brown used a back 3 at Fleetwood sometimes.

14 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

He plays the same game as Dempsey imo

I don’t think they are hugely different and can play similar roles but IMO Dempsey wants to be far more box to box whereas Syla will sit and do the simple things and break up play.