The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

31 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

Stephen Kelly tomorrow, keep the faith!

Absolutely zero chance. We're already low on numbers, Martindale sitting at two less signings than what he wanted. I just can't see us letting anyone go, let alone Kelly leaving on loan. I would be absolutely astounded if we let him leave on loan.

Edited by ATLIS

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Absolutely zero chance. We're already low on numbers, Martindale sitting at two less signings than what he wanted. I just can't see us letting anyone go, let alone Kelly leaving on loan. I would be absolutely astounded if we let him leave on loan.

I would be absolutely delighted if we got him. Just a rumour I heard earlier today but from a decent source.

Just now, Ayr23 said:

I would be absolutely delighted if we got him. Just a rumour I heard earlier today but from a decent source.

It would potentially have been subject to livi getting bodies in the door, which the haven't 

1 minute ago, Ayr23 said:

Just now, Rb123 said:

It would potentially have been subject to livi getting bodies in the door, which the haven't 

Unless we sign about 3 folk on loan then I can't see it happening at all. We've signed Carson to play at CM, maybe if Shinnie pushes on to CAM with Pittman but I can't see it happening. It'd annoy a lot of Livi fans as well. Just can't see us getting the bodies in on loan that we need

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Is it four Scottish based loans you are allowed?

So we can only get one more signing… 

ETA, or anyone out of contract. 

The FIFA regulations are 7 loans in and 7 out as the limit -as per

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12520895/transfer-news-fifa-announces-radical-new-loan-plans-that-will-limit-clubs-to-six-loan-exits-per-season

The SPFL regulations are confusingly worded to be honest but I think it's suggesting we can have five domestic loans - so space for two more but they can't play for Dundee United or Patrick Thistle 

57 Subject to Regulation 60, a Club shall not, at any one time, have more than:- 

(i) one Player League Registered with it on the basis of a Temporary Transfer from any one other Club for the time being eligible to participate in the same Division as itself;

(ii) three Players League Registered with it on the basis of Temporary Transfers from any one other Club for the time being eligible to participate in another Division from itself; and

(iii) in aggregate, including Players falling within Regulations 57(i) and 57(ii), five Players League Registered with it on the basis of Temporary Transfers from Clubs and Scottish Football clubs.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Did you miss the part where Raith were bought by a new consortium and their finances are measurably better than last season. 

Coupled with a far better quality of signing this season compared to last and you’d be hard pushed to argue they don’t have a better budget this season. 

Define measurably. 

Who did moneybags Raith sign that is well outwith our budget?

We have shifted Rose off and brought in another forward, I doubt we would then go out and sign either May or McNulty. Kelly is on the fringes of the Livingston squad but he likes a loan when he's not getting a game. I think it's unlikely, Livi clearly need a freshen up but unless they can get a loan from another premier club, I don't see Kelly going out. 

The boy from Aberdeen I would say is far more likely. 

interesting choice having Rose go off on loan, i still would have went with Fraser but Rose probably is paid more so more off the books for whoever else we can maybe bring in, can't say much for McHugh and Willoughby but have to wait and see what they show but I personally again wouldn't be throwing them straight into the starting line up against Dundee United 

There seems to be a massive difference in recruitment from the days of McCall to now under Mathie and Glendinning

McCall had some shiters but always had a player in mind before hiring. Jamie Adams for example, signed from lower leagues to become an invincible cult hero. He filled positions with players with potential. 

Nowadays, almost every signing comes across as a mega gamble from across the border 🫤

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Bullen chose and had final say on who we signed so you can’t say he was let down. 

Also, "Bullen was let down by his recruitment" seems... historically inaccurate?

Unless the argument is that Musonda, Kirk, Chalmers, Akinyemi etc were all Bullen but then Ghastly Glendinning took back over to force him at gunpoint to sign the rest.

This window looks like another big mess and obviously punting the manager mid-window didn't help with that, but if Rose is going out on loan it's because Scott Brown doesn't want him at Ayr.

40 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

There seems to be a massive difference in recruitment from the days of McCall to now under Mathie and Glendinning

McCall had some shiters but always had a player in mind before hiring. Jamie Adams for example, signed from lower leagues to become an invincible cult hero. He filled positions with players with potential.

This is somewhat rose-tinted. McCall also tried to redeem quite a few people who ended up being done jobbers.

McCall has had decades in the dugout and had to make use of his own network to do what he could with very little real money. Of course recruitment's changed. "Go back to how McCall did it" is not really an option you get without, y'know, having McCall. Maybe you'll see Whittaker turning up with a notepad on a Tuesday night to take in League One games every week. Who knows. But it's not going to happen overnight.

Edited by Thumper

4 hours ago, Thumper said:

This is somewhat rose-tinted. McCall also tried to redeem quite a few people who ended up being done jobbers.

We definitely look at the McCall signings with rose-tinted glasses now. 

For every Laurence Shankland there is a Kris Doolan. For every Michael Rose, there is a Sam Roscoe and for every Liam Smith there’s a David Ferguson.

Then we have guys like McKenna & Nesbit who went on to have very good careers but were definitely in the miss rather than the hit column at Ayr.

So in the summer we signed: Murphy, Chalmers, Dowds, Stanger, Pendlebury, Rose, Amartey, Ahui, Young, Senga, Syla, McGeady, Mutch. Only 2 of the 7 from down south remain with us for the second half of the season, that is some strike rate. 

1 hour ago, Hazbart said:

We definitely look at the McCall signings with rose-tinted glasses now. 

For every Laurence Shankland there is a Kris Doolan. For every Michael Rose, there is a Sam Roscoe and for every Liam Smith there’s a David Ferguson.

Then we have guys like McKenna & Nesbit who went on to have very good careers but were definitely in the miss rather than the hit column at Ayr.

McCall's hit rate was better than the current recruitment. I dont think that is rose tinted. A lot of that is down to the market. Ironically, signing non-league jobbers from down south, isn't even a cheap option.

It is considered sensible from a business model point of view. Sign them on frees, a good season up here and sell them on. Make a bit of money through 'player trading'. I get the principle and maybe if 1 in every 8 is like Dipo it works? 

Edit - As an aside I'd take David Ferguson at right back over Nick fucking McAllister! That's for sure.

Edited by Trogdor

Just now, Trogdor said:

McCall's hit rate was better than the current recruitment. I dont think that is rose tinted. A lot of that is down to the market. Ironically, signing non-league jobbers from down south, isn't even a cheap option.

It is considered sensible from a business model. Sign them on frees, a good season up here and sell them on. Make a bit of money through 'player trading'. I get the principle and maybe if 1 in every 8 is like Dipo it works? 

Edit - As an aside I'd take David Ferguson at right back over Nick fucking McAllister! That's for sure.

I think the biggest issue we’ve had since McCall left is the turnover in the squads. It’s back to the old days of a full rebuild every year.

He did well to keep a quality core together so only needed to add a couple. 

After Hopkin/Duffy, Bullen needed to pretty much do a full rebuild last season. We then needed to do another in the summer.

Its unrealistic to expect to be able to do this and everyone work out.

We’ve obviously had a nightmare with some of the newbies coming in on 2 year deals and flopping.