The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

image.thumb.png.582022fe68fa9e795dae1d13830ed53d.png

I think we should line up something like this. Probably won't happen but out of possession it leaves us fairly strong defensively and it gets our best attacking players on the pitch.

Last week we shifted to a 3 at the back in possession in the second half so playing this shape would allow us to go like this with the ball: 

image.thumb.png.5ee2919ad958df4cfbad54fe208e0be0.png

McHugh and Willoughby will probably get about 30 mins each, can't see either of them starting.

Edited by GuyIncognito

1 minute ago, GuyIncognito said:

image.thumb.png.582022fe68fa9e795dae1d13830ed53d.png

I think we should line up something like this. Probably won't happen but out of possession it leaves us fairly strong defensively and it gets our best attacking players on the pitch.

Last week we shifted to a 3 at the back in possession in the second half so playing this shape would allow us to go like this with the ball: 

image.thumb.png.5ee2919ad958df4cfbad54fe208e0be0.png

McHugh and Willoughby will probably get about 30 mins each, can't see either of them starting.

Chalmers won't be able to play tomorrow

2 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

Chalmers won't be able to play tomorrow

Totally forgot about that. Amartey wide then and maybe Smith in the middle or maybe McHugh but I can't see him being ready to start

Albinson

Sanders Stanger McGinty Reading

Smith Syla Dempsey

Amartey Dowds Murphy

Edited by GuyIncognito

42 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Aye Musonda has played left back but it wasn't good, he doesn't necessarily look quick in the middle but you wouldn't note him as slow but he looked really slow out there compared to a winger.  

Out of the new guys it's Sanders that can play right back, I've not seen it myself but I'd imagine it would be pretty similar to Musonda.  McHugh has played right back for an hour in a game, again no idea how he got on.  I'd probably prefer going for a back 5 of:

Reading-McGinty-Musonda-Sanders-Watret.  

I didn’t really notice until the end of last season - I’m not particularly sure why but yeah, Musonda is painfully slow. It was the Partick playoff games that it became particularly noticeable. 

That would be my worry in terms of a back three as both him and McGinty would be painfully exposed as the wider centre backs. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I didn’t really notice until the end of last season - I’m not particularly sure why but yeah, Musonda is painfully slow. It was the Partick playoff games that it became particularly noticeable. 

That would be my worry in terms of a back three as both him and McGinty would be painfully exposed as the wider centre backs. 

I still think centrally as long as it's not gone disjointed as hell his pace (or positioning) is fine.  Those playoff games, especially at Somerset was something else though, probably partly head gone given he was essentially the right back and centre back in both games given the empty jerseys beside him in both.  

You'd have to put Musonda in the middle.  It allows him to be the ball player as well which he is mostly ok at being.  

15 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I still think centrally as long as it's not gone disjointed as hell his pace (or positioning) is fine.  Those playoff games, especially at Somerset was something else though, probably partly head gone given he was essentially the right back and centre back in both games given the empty jerseys beside him in both.  

You'd have to put Musonda in the middle.  It allows him to be the ball player as well which he is mostly ok at being.  

I think Frankie is one that should particularly benefit from us (hopefully) being more organised too. It is very easy to look like a fucking idiot as a centre half when you are getting dragged all over the place!

McGinty is our best box defender, but I would be worried about him outwith the middle of the back three. Saying that - I feel like he’s been better in wide areas this season too. Obviously I’m not sure what Sanders is like yet, but he sounds like a dominant type too. 

If Brown eventually wants to move towards a higher line style of play then I imagine McGinty and Musonda will become redundant though. 

It’ll be an interesting few weeks, I’m actually annoyed I’m working tomorrow - would be good to get an insight into Brown’s instructions behind the dugouts. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I think Frankie is one that should particularly benefit from us (hopefully) being more organised too. It is very easy to look like a fucking idiot as a centre half when you are getting dragged all over the place!

McGinty is our best box defender, but I would be worried about him outwith the middle of the back three. Saying that - I feel like he’s been better in wide areas this season too. Obviously I’m not sure what Sanders is like yet, but he sounds like a dominant type too. 

If Brown eventually wants to move towards a higher line style of play then I imagine McGinty and Musonda will become redundant though. 

It’ll be an interesting few weeks, I’m actually annoyed I’m working tomorrow - would be good to get an insight into Brown’s instructions behind the dugouts. 

It doesn't need to be the case that the 'wide' two are actually doing anything different to if they were in a 4, there's a few ways to set up to accommodate for that.  

We don't have the players to play it in this way, inadequate full backs, don't have a midfielder to turn into a Libero and our goalie is grim with the ball, but I absolutely love this set up: 

https://analyticsfc.co.uk/blog/2023/11/10/st-paulis-year-of-hurzeler-now-also-playing-the-best-football-in-the-2-bundesliga/

8 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

It doesn't need to be the case that the 'wide' two are actually doing anything different to if they were in a 4, there's a few ways to set up to accommodate for that.  

We don't have the players to play it in this way, inadequate full backs, don't have a midfielder to turn into a Libero and our goalie is grim with the ball, but I absolutely love this set up: 

https://analyticsfc.co.uk/blog/2023/11/10/st-paulis-year-of-hurzeler-now-also-playing-the-best-football-in-the-2-bundesliga/

Yeah, that’s a fair point - I’m just biased towards that viewpoint of a three at the back from playing as a RCB in a three and being dragged all over the place out wide! 

Definitely an interesting article! The only player I can think of any time recently that could have played the “Libero” role is possibly Steven Bell. Or potentially Michael Rose actually. 

1 hour ago, GuyIncognito said:

Albinson

Sanders Stanger McGinty Reading

Smith Syla Dempsey

Amartey Dowds Murphy

I think Brown would have Mcgeady in there somewhere 🫤 Really do feel for Amartey as he isn't a bad player at all.

25 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I think Brown would have Mcgeady in there somewhere 🫤 Really do feel for Amartey as he isn't a bad player at all.

Any time I've seen Amartey he's not been up to much. Runs about quickly and has the illusion of being dangerous without actually being so imo. I think he'll be gone in summer

In fairness to Rose, it's still full-time football, and he's proven he can score against clubs of L1 calibre.

I really can't see McGeady starting tomorrow. If it's your first big game in your new job you're not going to endanger it by putting your older mate who is clearly done on the team sheet. It's not as if Dundee United are going to be overawed by him.

How ready is it for a season ticket holder to move up into the stand today?

I've pulled something in my back and don't fancy standing for a couple of hours

14 minutes ago, Peil said:

How ready is it for a season ticket holder to move up into the stand today?

I've pulled something in my back and don't fancy standing for a couple of hours

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer, but I wanted to take the opportunity to make a snidey comment about the idea the main stand seating could be considered comfortable. Carry on.

2 minutes ago, Iain said:

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer, but I wanted to take the opportunity to make a snidey comment about the idea the main stand seating could be considered comfortable. Carry on.

Thanks for taking the time out of your morning to reply.

Have a nice day