The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Highland Exile said:

A bluenose pal (oxymoron I know) recommended parking in the Shields Rd Park and Ride and getting subway. That’s our plan on the day. 

I had a bad experience in that car park once. I'm thinking of making a bit of a day of it and leaving the car home!

What pubs are the Ayr fans hitting before the game?

46 minutes ago, Iain said:

Scouted Rangers tonight. They're garbage. If Charlie can avoid palming weak shots straight back to their forwards we should keep them out without much bother.

And by keep them out you mean limit the scoring to 4 or 5?

32 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He might manage to avoid doing that, but then he also might just forget he has hands again and not save them in the first place… 

Not the best side to be facing when you have goalkeeping concerns!

If only our only concern was the goalkeeping department!

39 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I had a bad experience in that car park once. I'm thinking of making a bit of a day of it and leaving the car home!

What pubs are the Ayr fans hitting before the game?

We're thinking hootenanny at St Enoch or Brechins in Govan

1 hour ago, Iain said:

Scouted Rangers tonight. They're garbage. If Charlie can avoid palming weak shots straight back to their forwards we should keep them out without much bother.

Matondo vs McAllister will be fine he only turned Nicky Devlin inside out and roundabout tonight...

We need to go up there with a back 5, anything less is suicidal. Chalmers can be a bit of a lazy fucker tracking back to help defend with a full back so not sure if we'd maybe sacrifice him for a McKenzie for example, although you need some creativity up other end on the chances you do get forward. As long as it doesn't go anything higher than 4 i'll be happy...

Albinson

Stanger Sanders McGinty Musonda Reading 

Dempsey Syla

Chalmers                                  Murphy 

Dowds 

Erm,...I don't want to encourage mental Ally Dryhorce to respond here...but have the slightly more mature members of the United support considered the Benburb social club ?

I know your game won't kick off until half five...the Bens game starts at two...but they're playing the dirty, hacking, Cumnock...erm,...people...so black & white scarves should be OK (not with me, though)...

I'm sure real fitba folk like the Bens would appreciate a wee bit more money through the gate (and in the bar) rather than poxy pubs in the city that you can visit any time.

If you do visit...and you really should...please don't fall out with my friend Frank or his son Paul because they are both crazy.

In a good way.

Edited by Black Pennel
Wirdz.

9 hours ago, Rb123 said:

Matondo vs McAllister will be fine he only turned Nicky Devlin inside out and roundabout tonight...

We need to go up there with a back 5, anything less is suicidal. Chalmers can be a bit of a lazy fucker tracking back to help defend with a full back so not sure if we'd maybe sacrifice him for a McKenzie for example, although you need some creativity up other end on the chances you do get forward. As long as it doesn't go anything higher than 4 i'll be happy...

Albinson

Stanger Sanders McGinty Musonda Reading 

Dempsey Syla

Chalmers                                  Murphy 

Dowds 

4 centre halves? David Hopkin would be proud.

People are being far too negative. Rangers didn't create much at all last night and there's no reason to think they'll do better against Ayr. Some shrewd management and a big effort from the players should see us through to the next round. Don't rate them at all and I'm pretty sure Clement is a fraud.

3 minutes ago, Iain said:

People are being far too negative. Rangers didn't create much at all last night and there's no reason to think they'll do better against Ayr. Some shrewd management and a big effort from the players should see us through to the next round. Don't rate them at all and I'm pretty sure Clement is a fraud.

Admire your optimism but a think it’ll be a scudding tbh.

McAllister will get absolutely rinsed

7 minutes ago, Iain said:

They were playing Aberdeen.

The concern is definitely in the wide areas, McAllister isn't the quickest at our level, so up against Matondo or the new guy will be a worry.  I think we will see a change in formation to 433 for this, with McHugh possibly coming in on the right side of the 3 in midfield to help McAllister, rather than solely relying on Chalmers to get back and Murphy supporting Reading, which seems to be working the last few games.  My prediction will be:

Albinson

McAllister  Stanger  McGinty  Reading

McHugh  Syla  Dempsey

Chalmers  Dowds  Murphy

Subs: Mutch, Musonda, Sanders, Smith, Tomlinson, Amartey McKenzie, Willoughby, Bryden

For the love of christ, just bin McGeady please.

Edited by callum-ayr

6 minutes ago, D.Armour Appreciation Society said:

IMO We should look to hold, and try and release Amartey from deep 4-1-4-1 / 4-5-1:  IE Maidstone at Portman Road.

Dowds

Amartey Dempsey Syla Chalmers

Musonda

Reading McGinty Stanger McAllister

Albinson

No so much a fan of Musonda in midfield, seen him there once and don't think it went too well.  Like the idea of Amartey, however he's the only one really that hasn't played since Brown came in.  Brown talked about a clean slate for everyone, yet he's still not featured under Brown, or even in Whites match day squads.  Maybe he was injured and getting back up to speed, but that's not been communicated whatsoever so no idea.  Reckon he'll be gone come the end of the season.  Murphy also starts 100%.

15 minutes ago, D.Armour Appreciation Society said:

IMO We should look to hold, and try and release Amartey from deep 4-1-4-1 / 4-5-1:  IE Maidstone at Portman Road.

Dowds

Amartey Dempsey Syla Chalmers

Musonda

Reading McGinty Stanger McAllister

Albinson

I agree about Amartey, you need someone with lethal pace to be able to drag you up the pitch at times. Rangers won’t leave much defensive cover and we will be under huge pressure any time we win the ball back so a clipped ball over the top is a great option. 

I don’t think it’ll particularly lead to anything, but it is a great outball to have. 

The issue is that I’m not sure who to play him instead of. 

Edited by No_Problemo

25 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I agree about Amartey, you need someone with lethal pace to be able to drag you up the pitch at times. Rangers won’t leave much defensive cover and we will be under huge pressure any time we win the ball back so a clipped ball over the top is a great option. 

I don’t think it’ll particularly lead to anything, but it is a great outball to have. 

The issue is that I’m not sure who to play him instead of. 

Having someone fast to chase down clearances can be the difference between the defender putting the ball out for a throw and getting up the pitch, and the defender having loads of time to turn round and put you on the back foot again. Vital in these games.

6 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Having someone fast to chase down clearances can be the difference between the defender putting the ball out for a throw and getting up the pitch, and the defender having loads of time to turn round and put you on the back foot again. Vital in these games.

I'm just hoping that Brown doesn't go with Mcgeady. Amartey>>>Mcgeady. Plus it gets rid of any added toxicity from the Sevco fans, regarding his history with the other ugly sister.

I wonder if we will play 4231

Albinson

McCalister Stanger McGinty Reading

Dempsey Syla

Chalmers McGeady Murphy

Dowds

Full backs will have to sit narrow (width of box) and not get forward.  We need to make them cross the ball as it's our defence's strength and a weakness of their attack.  Everything else speaks for itself except McGeady, personally I'd play him on Saturday, still got something to offer us IMO.