The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, F.T.O.F.1910 said:

Shankland? OK, he went on to be a great player for us and went from strength to strength but I believe it was a cheap option gamble at the time. I'm not saying everyone falls under the half arsed approach, but it's been the direction we've headed In, in general terms.

I think signing multiple Scottish U21 internationalists is far from half arsed, certainly better than a Paul Slane in Roberts time.

Have no issues with McAllister signing a new contract, as long as he isnt the planned starter, otherwise I would be worried.

He wont break the bank, covers multiple positions, possibly good for the changing room.

4 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

This does not mean he is potentially not looking for a right back , what it does mean is that he has a player in the squad who can cover a number of defensive positions when the need arises ,

I think it means this too, but the lack of trust in the recruitment department is entirely understandable - particularly in terms of the full back positions. 

I’m quite happy with a smaller team of quality, with some filler types like McAllister in reserve. Getting the quality is the main thing though. 

New GK /Mutch

New RB / McAluster

New CB /New CB/ Stanger / McGinty

New LB / Reading*

New CM / Dempsey / Syla

Murphy / New winger / New Winger

New ST / New ST / Bryden / McKenzie

We should be looking at something along those lines for next season. 

*As long as we sign a decent starting left back. 

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

With so many players out of contract I can’t see this happening 

Well McAllister is out of contract yet we’ve offered him a contract so not convinced we won’t do the same with the likes of Reading and Musonda. 

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Well McAllister is out of contract yet we’ve offered him a contract so not convinced we won’t do the same with the likes of Reading and Musonda. 

Can play many positions which could give us cover as you are not going to get 2 players who are capable of starting every week in every position so you need someone who can step in when required 

Massive overreaction to this imo. Yes McAllister probably isn't good enough to start week in week out but he can cover numerous positions, won't be on a big wage, and provides a bit of continuity going into next season. We can't go into a new season with a completely new squad and he's performed fine for the most part since Brown has come in. I'm confident we'll sign a right back in the summer and that there will be plenty more changes in that time.

Of course if it's the day before the league starts and we're no closer to another right back coming in then feel free to complain as I do think we need an upgrade there but for now its a major overreaction.

This he's a good squad player and he gives 100% chat needs to get in the bin tbh. Need to be ruthless this summer and have a proper clear out or we're just going round in circles.

He is shite and you’ll only get the one good game in about five from him but I can understand Browns rational here if he intends to upgrade elsewhere. We’re already likely to be facing a defensive cull with Musonda, Sanders and McGinley away. He maybe think it too much to do to be signing upwards of 7 or 8 players in the summer. It is a bigger indictment that we’ve gone from summer 2019 without a quality right back though.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

He is shite and you’ll only get the one good game in about five from him but I can understand Browns rational here if he intends to upgrade elsewhere. We’re already likely to be facing a defensive cull with Musonda, Sanders and McGinley away. He maybe think it too much to do to be signing upwards of 7 or 8 players in the summer. It is a bigger indictment that we’ve gone from summer 2019 without a quality right back though.

I am still disappointed we didn't get Liam Smith back tbh.

15 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

New GK /Mutch

New RB / McAluster

New CB /New CB/ Stanger / McGinty

New LB / Reading*

New CM / Dempsey / Syla

Murphy / New winger / New Winger

New ST / New ST / Bryden / McKenzie

We should be looking at something along those lines for next season. 

*As long as we sign a decent starting left back. 

FWIW I’d be very much in favour of seeing what McHughs availability is for next season but only if we can make him our own player like we did with Dempsey

If current management team are happy with their signing that will do for me , with the new coaching style they obviously see something  that is going to help their squad next season , 

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He is shite and you’ll only get the one good game in about five from him

Mate you've ripped on him harder here than anyone else not in favour of him re-signing has.

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He maybe think it too much to do to be signing upwards of 7 or 8 players in the summer.

Just fucking do it, none of this putting a plaster on things, straight to amputation. Otherwise we'll be in next season talking about the same shite we have been for the last two.

The main defence of him here seems to be that he can cover multiple positions in the back 4. Can someone with a better memory than me recall how many times he’s actually done this?

The only time I can think of him playing at centre back this season was one of the top 3 worst Ayr games I’ve ever watched, at Cappielow in January.

He can cover centre half about as well as I could cover an incapacitated Boeing 747 pilot.

2 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

The main defence of him here seems to be that he can cover multiple positions in the back 4. Can someone with a better memory than me recall how many times he’s actually done this?

The only time I can think of him playing at centre back this season was one of the top 3 worst Ayr games I’ve ever watched, at Cappielow in January.

He can cover centre half about as well as I could cover an incapacitated Boeing 747 pilot.

Was going to ask what specifically is meant by being ‘able’ to cover these positions. Surely a minimum level of proficiency at each is required to make that claim?

13 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Quote I Am Serious GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

17 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Literally played left back in our most recent game. 

We had a big team at the start of this season that somehow managed to still end up wafer thin. McAllister playing every match  is a symptom of crap recruitment. He’s a very decent squad player. 
If we can pare back the squad, and bring in real quality but with utility men as back up, then fine. McAllister fits that bill as a utility player. He’s also not a pea hearted wee fud.

Edited by Coollestersmoothe

I've no faith in Mathie or Glendinning to find better so there's that. I can't really see any other positives. If we're looking to improve, there are very few players I'd be looking to keep and he's not one of them.