The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I'm sure Reading will be next then off the back of this news.

I have a feeling Paddy will get a one year deal as well . Just maybe we are looking at a 532/541 next season ? Tomlinson on the right , Paddy on the left , with an experienced sweeper coming in behind Stainger and McGinty . This would also take out and out wingers off the shoping list , which may explain the Logan situation..

9 hours ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Chalmers is 24 and hasn’t played anything other than loan football. His development phase is over. There’s no scope for improvement. 

He's immense here and there but anonymous most of the time. 

I worry that us trying to tie down Chalmers to a deal will be like trying to get Adeloye again. Fixated on an inconsistent player at the expense of just focusing on  bringing in 3-4 half decent players at this level. 

What are you talking about?

Are you trying to say that players stop developing as soon as they hit the age of 24…

People are being blinded by a form dip in the second half of the season and him then being injured, he isn’t anonymous most of the time. 

thanks to the young Ayr fans for chatting at halftime!  Their predictions were correct! 

Great to be back battling in the championship with you, despite the 12 points you claimed! 

Maybe see you next season? 

10 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I think he is and we don’t actually have any idea what it would take to sign him  - signing actual football players helps sell season tickets, there is potential there for resale value and if he maintains his first half of the season form for longer he is one of the best players in the league. 

If we don’t sign him, we certainly won’t sign anyone any better. 

It perhaps depends on the system and style we will play. If it's one based around work ethic and reliant on everyone doing certain tasks then he might not fit in as well. On the other hand if the creative players are given more of a free run and play built around them then he may do well  

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I suppose another frustration with McAllister signing on is it puts a bit of a stop gap on Watret for next season unless we’re running with those pair as our number one and two in that position. 

I think the best way I can describe him is frustrating. He should’ve been having a far greater impact on games this season and he had a wee purple patch but outside that I think he’s been underwhelming. Definitely not as good as he was last season although maybe that’s the change of position. 

There’s been a lot of games I’ve seen where the full back gets the better of him in the first five minutes and that’s him done. I don’t think the pitch at Somerset helps. It’s no coincidence that his best games this season have come away from home on a wider pitch where he can get on the outside and away quicker. 

I think if he gets fit then he needs to play as he obviously still has more output than Bryden but I think if the best you’re hoping for with a wide player is one good game in five then you can get a cheaper alternative. The teams that win this league very rarely have outstanding options out wide. It’s in their defence, central midfield and up front that makes the difference. If he was willing to take a big cut from his rumoured wage at Dundee United then fair enough but I can see teams being willing to pay more and I don’t think we should get drawn into that. 

We signed a right back in the summer. He was horrible but we did sign one. And would’ve signed a left back if it wasn’t for injuries elsewhere. 

I think also people need to look at the summer past and remember that Bullen deciding to f**k off for a fortnight probably killed us. He is obviously entitled to a holiday like everyone and I’m not proposing we lock Brown in a room until all the signings are done but those first couple of weeks after the season ends are crucial and the club were just absolutely no where in that time. 

It does raise questions around the pathway for Watret. By next season i would like to see him as cover for right back and getting involved quite often in games. Have they also not been trying to shoehorn Tomlinson into this position also? Unless Watret is away down south in the summer or McAllister is indeed our first choice right back 

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

It does raise questions around the pathway for Watret. By next season i would like to see him as cover for right back and getting involved quite often in games. Have they also not been trying to shoehorn Tomlinson into this position also? Unless Watret is away down south in the summer or McAllister is indeed our first choice right back 

Brown made a comment about Tomlinson saying he has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of his game if he is to play right back. Personally I thought he looked OK against Airdrie playing further up the pitch but as the first half went on he started to fade out the game. I don’t see the merit in making him a right back so early in his career when he could be a perfectly decent winger. 

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Brown made a comment about Tomlinson saying he has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of his game if he is to play right back. Personally I thought he looked OK against Airdrie playing further up the pitch but as the first half went on he started to fade out the game. I don’t see the merit in making him a right back so early in his career when he could be a perfectly decent winger. 

Okay is very generous tbh. 

I think his issue is that he looks like he can offer something driving from deep when there is space in front of him, but he doesn’t really get that unless he is playing as a wing back or at full back. He looks pretty lost playing at right midfield when someone is defending against him, but he obviously also looks lost defensively. He also seems to panic when he is under any kind of pressure and just plays it wherever he can. 

15 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think his issue is that he looks like he can offer something driving from deep when there is space in front of him, but he doesn’t really get that unless he is playing as a wing back or at full back. He looks pretty lost playing at right midfield when someone is defending against him, but he obviously also looks lost defensively. He also seems to panic when he is under any kind of pressure and just plays it wherever he

Let’s not forget he is very young and straight out the Academy, people also forget this is the Championship not L1 ! As I said earlier I think our days of wingers are drawing to a close . The boy is a right wing back . Is he ready for next season ? Time will tell . However Scott Brown will know that long before any of us . 

Feels like deja vu from last Summer to me.  Signing players like McAllister and McKenzie on the basis that they are good squad players who can fill in for the proper quality players we’ll be signing later in the Summer, only to find those proper quality players aren’t coming.

30 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He is still fairly young and got time to develop. They obviously see something there which is good and can hopefully turn this into eventual first team appearances. Alongside this Bryden and McKenzie have also been playing unusual roles whilst Bryden perhaps should have went on on loan earlier. Appreciate we have just had to get by this season but i do hope they have a proper pathway to get young players developed and not just covering problem positions  

23 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Feels like deja vu from last Summer to me.  Signing players like McAllister and McKenzie on the basis that they are good squad players who can fill in for the proper quality players we’ll be signing later in the Summer, only to find those proper quality players aren’t coming.

If you're deliberately signing players who are adaptable to multiple positions then either you are Johan Cruyff or you are expecting not to have fit first choices all season. Or of course the secret third choice favoured by Ayr United, that you are not expecting to have fit first choices for every position in the first place.

Why are they trying to make Tomlinson a right back anyway? As if it's not hard enough for a kid just starting out professionally, to have to now learn a whole new position.

Just sign a right back.

54 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Yup... already giving me the fear. Felt this way since Bryden contract renewal..

12 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Reading the comments on Facebook about McAllister contract renewal it is overwhelmingly positive. Is this thread a bit of an echo chamber? 

I can understand why people like him as he always tries and gives his all. Unfortunately he’s just not very good. I will be happy so long as we don’t have to watch him week in week out and we actually sign someone with a bit of talent to play that position 

I'm ok with the McAlister contract and take it for what it is. A decent squad player who'll fit in when needed.

Over the past 2 seasons we've signed much, much worse players than Nick. Guys you'd not even call squad players. Id rather have a reliable enough player on the bench than some of the absolute horses we've seen recently. Might be a bit of a tinpot attitude but it is what it is just now.

I'm looking at you Ahui, Kenyon, Bangala, Ashford, JML, Gondoh, McAlear etc, etc. 

26 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I can understand why people like him as he always tries and gives his all. Unfortunately he’s just not very good. I will be happy so long as we don’t have to watch him week in week out and we actually sign someone with a bit of talent to play that position 

Aye there is no doubt he gives 100% but surely that should be the bare minimum expected of players? 

4 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

I'm ok with the McAlister contract and take it for what it is. A decent squad player who'll fit in when needed.

Over the past 2 seasons we've signed much, much worse players than Nick. Guys you'd not even call squad players. Id rather have a reliable enough player on the bench than some of the absolute horses we've seen recently. Might be a bit of a tinpot attitude but it is what it is just now.

I'm looking at you Ahui, Kenyon, Bangala, Ashford, JML, Gondoh, McAlear etc, etc. 

I’d maybe be okay with it if this was all he was going to be. A guy who’ll get minimum game time in the event of an injury crisis but I’m just not convinced that’s what he’ll be. The fullbacks issue has been an issue for a few seasons now, probably since Smith and Harvie so how can we be sure it’s going to be correctly addressed in the summer. 

19 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’d maybe be okay with it if this was all he was going to be. A guy who’ll get minimum game time in the event of an injury crisis but I’m just not convinced that’s what he’ll be. The fullbacks issue has been an issue for a few seasons now, probably since Smith and Harvie so how can we be sure it’s going to be correctly addressed in the summer. 

Smith and Harvie set a high bar having both played English L1 since leaving us . If we could find another two in that calibre then that would be great ! 

25 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I'm sure that the manager knows FB is a problem given the juggling he's had to do in there.

We've got to hope we get better players in but obviously that's not guaranteed. The last thing we want to do though is be left scrambling for scraps that are worse than what we've got.

We'll hopefully see pretty early on where we're going to be at with a few PCA,s and quick signings. Maybe that's optimistic though.