The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Motherwell

Celtic

Bonnyrigg Rose

Spartans

Must be the only teams we haven't played in the last 10 years.  

Replace us with Celtic and add in Annan or Stranraer and that's a cracker of a League Cup group :lol:

8 minutes ago, AUcal said:

9 months for me. 

Feels like we just missed out on some really good times 😂. We were then treated to years of obscurity in Division 2 / League 1 with occasionally escapes for a season at a time to the 2nd tier.

I feel bad for any Ayr fan who missed out on watching Glynn Hurst in the flesh.

Posted (edited)
So played every league team outwtih Celtic, Motherwell and now Bonnyrigg & Spartans, in the last 7 years 

Played more than half of all league teams in last 2 seasons, more than 75% in last 4 seasons
Edited by honestly united

1 hour ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Not sure any Motherwell v Ayr game will ever beat this. Up there with my favourite of all time.

Literally none of those Motherwell goals should've counted.

1 hour ago, Superhursty7 said:

Was Mark Campbell his big brother? Dalzeal payed something like £100k for him but he was also really unlucky with injuries, I'm sure at one point when he was with us he was linked with Arsenal.

Yes they were brothers 

27 minutes ago, malkyshotton said:

Ayr Lotto results 

14/05 - 4, 16, 23, 25

21/5 - 4, 16, 23, 27

came through 2 minutes apart

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Anyone else get the emails together?

It's a laughable lottery draw.  Do many folk actually play it?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

The only thing I remember from that game is Merengi, who was playing wide left, sauntered across the park while the ball was in open play, game going on around him, and told Roberts he was coming off and went and sat on the bench. 

I misremembered that he scored a couple that day (he didn't) but he was still absolutely sublime. Never a falser dawn in human history than that football match, for Marenghi as much as for Roberts or indeed for Ayr.

Hadn't thought about him for years. Went from demolishing a Europe-bound Motherwell to retiring at the age of 24 when East Kilbride released him.

Edited by Thumper

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Sweden are kicking their heels this summer. Let’s offer them the chance of revenge. They might not bring a huge support but the ‘aesthetics’ could be worth it alone.

IMG_5927.thumb.png.51d901f749944acc26c758778b01dbb9.png

On 24th May,1928, this team lined up in the Stockholm Stadion: Bob Hepburn, Norman Price, Willie Fleming, Willie Robertson, Jock Watson, Alex Sharp, Jim Nisbet, Danny Tolland, Jimmy Smith, Jocky Simpson and Billy Brae. Sweden: Bertil Linde, Valter Gustavsson, Gustav Petterson, Osterkvist, Sture Nilsson, Arthur Johansson, Herbert Sahlin, Nils Jonsson, N. Lindkvist, Valle Larsson and Grandkvist.  Nils Jonsson (50) put Sweden a goal ahead. Jimmy Smith (59 and 61) then Jim Nisbet (88) beat goalkeeper Bertil Linde to make for an historic scoreline reading Sweden 1 Ayr United 3. Smith was denied his hat-trick by striking the bar with a second half penalty. It was a great performance after a train journey from Norway lasting thirteen and a half hours. Incidentally the Stockholm Stadion was built for the 1912 Olympic Games.

24th May 1928 Sweden 1 Ayr United 3 report 1.jpg

Edited by Caledonian

12 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

It's a laughable lottery draw.  Do many folk actually play it?

Not sure. I sign up every year through habit more than anything. Jackpots at over £9k which is a great lift if you win it but it’s only won about twice a year. Be better if there were more winners. They changed it recently to try and stop the jackpot building up. Seems like it’s worked!

34 minutes ago, malkyshotton said:

They changed it recently to try and stop the jackpot building up. Seems like it’s worked!

It'll probably work every week if they keep picking the same numbers tbf.

2 hours ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Not sure any Motherwell v Ayr game will ever beat this. Up there with my favourite of all time.

That was the game we boycotted the pies etc for a reason I can't recall.

Gate prices maybe?

13 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I was hoping that we would get some sort of news early this week but nothing at all

Do the majority of contracts not run until 31st May? Maybe don't want to announce when players are still technically contracted somewhere else? Or maybe nothing is happening!

15 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Do the majority of contracts not run until 31st May? Maybe don't want to announce when players are still technically contracted somewhere else? Or maybe nothing is happening!

I was more meaning about players signing on again

50 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I was hoping that we would get some sort of news early this week but nothing at all

not seen many teams announcing any players in last couple of weeks , most teams start announcing this week and next after players return from holidays , I am sure we will be in that category 

Only things other clubs in our league are announcing are triggered contract extensions (Moult with Dundee United, Muirhead with Thistle etc) we’ve already dealt with the players who had them (Amartey and Murdoch)

1 hour ago, Honestmen said:

That was the game we boycotted the pies etc for a reason I can't recall.

Gate prices maybe?

Aye, they were charging us a good fiver a head more, claiming we had better facilities in that stand than the home fans. 

I mind John Dalton and a few others discussing with a policeman why we were trying to dissuade people from buying anything. Guy actually took it on board and said fair enough. 

Post match, a load of Motherwell fans and Aye fans had a dust up in a side street, right where i'd parked. Took a bit of a kicking that day till one of ours pulled me off the deck and got me round the corner. Went back for my car after 6

4 hours ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Missed this game - still regret it to this day 😢