The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

Wouldn’t pin your hopes on Devlin. Whether Brown is a good manager or not, signing him is a gamble. Looked the part at the beginning of last season but as soon as he got injured (be prepared for that btw) he was useless. Has the technique but is no longer up to it physically. 

Why did Martindale persist with him as it looks like he played 29 league games?

4 minutes ago, Moysterclass said:

"Good" doing some lifting there: 

McMann - relegated 

Stanger - released (albeit wrongly) 

Oakley - released 

Hastie - shite

Devlin - good 

1 for 5 isn't bad though.

I don’t think I’d swap any of those players for any ex Ayr players at Accies. 

In fairness, Whether Devlin, or any new signing that Brown has made is rubbish or fails to reach the standards we have as Ayr fans, is certainly much more exciting than that of under Lee Bullen.

There's a bit of excitement around Somerset now, new stand and a good looking team coming together.

Just now, Jeff Venom said:

Why did Martindale persist with him as it looks like he played 29 league games?

He wanted us to play 3 at the back and we ended up being quite sparse there due to injuries. Didn’t really have much of a choice. He was also made captain when he signed so there was an expectation that he would play if available. As I say, it looked like it was going to work to start to start off with, despite warnings from Aberdeen fans that he was done physically. It did not end well. 

Temper your expectations. 

1 minute ago, hoobahabba said:

He wanted us to play 3 at the back and we ended up being quite sparse there due to injuries. Didn’t really have much of a choice. He was also made captain when he signed so there was an expectation that he would play if available. As I say, it looked like it was going to work to start to start off with, despite warnings from Aberdeen fans that he was done physically. It did not end well. 

There’s the kicker then. Playing a back 3/5 with centre backs that aren’t suited to it won’t do them any favours. 

He’s dropping down a level where forwards aren’t as good so I think he’ll be fine at worst. Even if he’s shite then he’ll be consigned to back up behind Stanger, Musonda and McMann. 

32 minutes ago, wullieaufc said:

A team who’s fans consider Reece McAlear a brilliant signing should have no input in who other teams sign

Going to need some evidence on that one. 

Interested to see how Devlin gets on. Possibly with a good pre season, the defence built with his limitations in mind, and avoiding injuries he could be a solid enough defender. No evidence of that last season and he looked as done as done could be, but you never know. 

2 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Is it safe to presume that he could become captain at Ayr?

Possibly. If there is not already an established leader within the squad then he could be chosen. Certainly has the experience. However, I’m sure Brown will be aware of his track record with injuries so that might play into it as well.

7 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

Brown hasn't had us playing 3 at CB but suppose bringing in Devlin does give him the option. 

Hoping some nice seaside air and a fresh start a league down will be good for him.

1 hour ago, muZZa__44 said:

59 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

The manager has built half this squad just by being Scott Brown.

When Scott Brown knocks, it’s a different type of knock. 

36 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Still feel like we need a defensive midfielder, would imagine loan market will be the only place you'll find one of them now.

Bosun Lawal come on down, we'll sort you out with a nice flat down Ayr Beach to sweeten the deal

Given Lawal was a standout at League 1 in England last season means it would genuinely mental if he ends up at Ayr. Surely the English Championship or at worst a top end Scottish Premiership club would be the natural step.

Going by Rodger’s comments a few days ago it does certainly sound like will go out on loan somewhere though. 

6 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

Where’s the fun in that? We’re winning the lot. 

Glad to be back to signing players we've heard of from the Scottish game rather than scrambling around the dog and duck league. Walker and Rus bucked that trend but let's be honest the likes of Oldham and Coventry are like Bayern Munich compared to some of the dross teams we signed from previously 

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There’s the kicker then. Playing a back 3/5 with centre backs that aren’t suited to it won’t do them any favours. 

He’s dropping down a level where forwards aren’t as good so I think he’ll be fine at worst. Even if he’s shite then he’ll be consigned to back up behind Stanger, Musonda and McMann. 

He was worse when we played 4 at the back. Exposed his lack of pace.

You could be right and, fwiw, I think Ayr have a strong squad on paper. But I’ll stand by what I said originally - he is a gamble. 

4 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Brown hasn't had us playing 3 at CB but suppose bringing in Devlin does give him the option. 

Hoping some nice seaside air and a fresh start a league down will be good for him.

Along with not playing or training on one of the worst football pitches in Scottish football 

Welcome to the party Meadowbank fans. The league season isn’t even going yet and we seem to have a few teams fans “on strings”. I make it 3/4. The Scott Brown effect?

IMG_6434.jpeg.08d0bf05f5d1894db63434f767be952b.jpeg

Edited by shizzlemanizzle

36 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

When Scott Brown knocks, it’s a different type of knock. 

Given Lawal was a standout at League 1 in England last season means it would genuinely mental if he ends up at Ayr. Surely the English Championship or at worst a top end Scottish Premiership club would be the natural step.

Going by Rodger’s comments a few days ago it does certainly sound like will go out on loan somewhere though. 

Where’s the fun in that? We’re winning the lot. 

Yeah stoke city are after him so fairytale stuff

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Will trust Brown on this one as our signings this summer are all (mostly) looking the part so he’s earned some good will. 

This 100%. Our signings feel much better than in previous seasons. I've recruited enough folk in the last 40 years, though, to know that every new hire carries an element of risk for both parties.