The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

Where you seeing this?

On paper would be a good signing but pretty sure McCall took him to Partick and he was pretty average by all accounts, certainly no Kelly.

Tbh I think it's tough for us to expect us to get anybody on loan of Kelly's calibre, I think he's one of the rare gems you'll get on loan who'll go all the way in football to the heights of McGinn, Robertson and Tierney etc IMO

Last summer some would have said similar about Doohan. Another at Jordan Houston level would also do us fine 

Think the idea would be for him to get games , along the same lines as young Kelly with 33 games . Looks like Rangers have marked us up in the same bracket as Burton and Orange Co as a safe place to develop their young players . Maybe get more than one from them ! 

45 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Barjonas always looks semi decent when I see him in highlights (like his well taken goal last night), but when he goes to clubs on loan he seems to just stagnate.

One Lawrence Shankland had four pretty average loan spells before joining us ! The rest is history ! Maybe the boy just needs a proper chance ! 

3 hours ago, Hazbart said:

We do need bodies though. Just pleasing to see us being linked with anybody.

Im sure he could do a job. Obviously has something or Gerard wouldn’t have given him a run out in France.

He's a strange one. Rangers / Gerrard obviously think he's got something. He's started a couple of League games for their first team which is more than the likes of Kelly and Houston have done to be fair, he's had regular run outs with them in friendlies too but he's completely floundered in loan spells at Raith Rovers in League 2 and couldn't get a game for the worst Partick Thistle team in living memory. He got 20 mins as a sub in the 1st leg of our playoff win over Raith last season and played the whole of the 2nd leg but I can't recall even noticing him and I don't think I've ever seen him play other than that so can't comment directly on his abilities but it's odd that he didn't do better in those loan spells if he's at that level.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's a strange one. Rangers / Gerrard obviously think he's got something. He's started a couple of League games for their first team which is more than the likes of Kelly and Houston have done to be fair, he's had regular run outs with them in friendlies too but he's completely floundered in loan spells at Raith Rovers in League 2 and couldn't get a game for the worst Partick Thistle team in living memory. He got 20 mins as a sub in the 1st leg of our playoff win over Raith last season and played the whole of the 2nd leg but I can't recall even noticing him and I don't think I've ever seen him play other than that so can't comment directly on his abilities but it's odd that he didn't do better in those loan spells if he's at that level.

Agree with all this, this is why it would be a risk.

Also those that are saying we need bodies, Rangers are unlikely to loan him without stipulating he plays and for me he wouldn't be a starter based on his past performances. 

Its amazing how desperate some are for a signing that they are salivating over Barjonas. We can do better and will do better.

36 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Agree with all this, this is why it would be a risk.

Also those that are saying we need bodies, Rangers are unlikely to loan him without stipulating he plays and for me he wouldn't be a starter based on his past performances. 

Its amazing how desperate some are for a signing that they are salivating over Barjonas. We can do better and will do better.

They obviously didn't stipulate he played in his loans at Raith and Partick since he regularly didn't!

Barjonas was given a chance with us. He was just absolutely murder. He scored a good goal in one of his first games for us and that was about the extent of his contribution. His biggest problem seemed to be that he thinks he's a better player than he is. I was baffled he went to thistle last season but I would be even more baffled if you signed him.

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They obviously didn't stipulate he played in his loans at Raith and Partick since he regularly didn't!

I’d say that’s the reason Ayr are on the preferred destination list at Rangers . We have a recent history of giving these lads a chance .  Whither he comes to Ayr remains to be seen ! 

4 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Jamie Barjonas is fucking shite. 

Suffers from the same attitude as Barry McKay I think, in that he seems to see the loan clubs as beneath his effort.

31 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, I get that but given he's in his final year and he has been getting game time in their preseason I would be surprised if they didn't stipulate it. Especially if Gerrard rates him as it seems to be suggested.

4 minutes ago, renton said:

Suffers from the same attitude as Barry McKay I think, in that he seems to see the loan clubs as beneath his effort.

Yeah, not the sort of attitude we need.

I expect its just paper talk given we've had Rangers loans before so we are a potential destination for any young Rangers players. Which isn't a bad thing tbf. We just need to pick the right ones. 

Edited by Trogdor

He sounds like the type of guy that’ll panic when he gets released and then you’ll see how good he actually is.

Could do a Shankland and start to perform or end up playing juniors/non league football in the space of 2 years.

Yeah, not the sort of attitude we need.
I expect its just paper talk given we've had Rangers loans before so we are a potential destination for any young Rangers players. Which isn't a bad thing tbf. We just need to pick the right ones. 

I’d rather we tried to get someone like Dapo Mebude on loan. Seems highly rated but has no chance of getting into the team ahead of the current strikers.

46 minutes ago, renton said:

And Jordan Thompson and Scott Roberts...

We've had one good loanee from Ibrox (Ryan Hardie), one decent (Kieran Wright) and the rest have all been absolutely mediocre with questionable attitudes.