The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

55 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

And this is the reason why it won’t happen.

Scottish football fans have shown themselves to generally be arseholes. We can’t stick to age old laws like no bottles/cans, no pyrotechnics, no booze in the stadium and not entering the field of play.

Add to the fact that since Covid hit people have ignored some of the restrictions when it suits them.

What faith would the government have that fans could behave. Even With stiff penalties, when some people go to the football they lose all concept of right, wrong and stupid.

Is this particularly true though of a run of the mill home game at Somerset? Or indeed any lower league game. Maybe at times from the travelling support but that won’t be an issue. 

24 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Is this particularly true though of a run of the mill home game at Somerset? Or indeed any lower league game. Maybe at times from the travelling support but that won’t be an issue. 

I think the problem is there is a risk of it at most games. We’ve got our fair share of idiots who can’t be trusted at the best of times as do almost every club in Scotland.

Just now, Hazbart said:

I think the problem is there is a risk of it at most games. We’ve got our fair share of idiots who can’t be trusted at the best of times as do almost every club in Scotland.

Yup, but these people are everywhere in society in terms of following guidelines elsewhere. Ultimately if they don’t follow guidelines they will get thrown out and I would fully support that if anyone puts us getting back into games at risk. 

Surely you aren’t surprised by this? Sturgeon and her clown shoes government have jumped from cluster f**k to cluster f**k during this pandemic. 
I'm genuinely staggered that anyone in Scotland can take a view like this. Which leader has handled this better, in relation to being less strict with restrictions?

Not entirely but thought numbers might have been allowed to go up a bit. Also they need money because no club forecasted playing without fans for a whole season, this now seems a formality.

No government in the UK has handled this well, all as bad as each other, should all be imprisoned for causing avoidable deaths IMO.

But is this criticism of Sturgeon coming from the view that she's being too strict?

Because it's the strictness that works with getting the levels of virus down in society.

I've got issues with the way the Scottish government has handled this but by f**k it's got to be one of the most difficult situations in modern history.

I think they've done better than the tory numpties in Westminster but even then, to suggest folk should be jailed for decisions seems absolutely ridiculous! What the f**k did you want to happen? This virus is a fucker, and there's no easy path out of this. By all means criticise aspects but you then have to keep your arguments consistent.
Ultimately the government feels football clubs dying from Covid is preferable to additional people dying from Covid. Hard to disagree.
I made this point back at the very start, when it became clear that this was a virus that was deadly to the old and vulnerable, but generally minor for most of the population.

Were we willing to let our football clubs, social clubs, local businesses etc die for this virus? Because without some serious intervention to help them that's what would happen if severe restrictions continued.

Since then restrictions have been on and off and back on, and that's going to be the way of it until the vaccine saves us in the spring /summer .

We must ensure that no football club goes under. I hope football fans all over the country, along with some support from government - makes sure that is the case.

In terms of fans getting in the ground Somerset there is decent room to space out assuming idiots don't ignore and put whole thing in jeopardy.  Main concern would be people entering and exiting the ground around the same time as would be an element of bottle-necking. Would be okay for a few hundred but would likely require stewarding costs of a bigger than normal match. 

25 minutes ago, grazza said:

In terms of fans getting in the ground Somerset there is decent room to space out assuming idiots don't ignore and put whole thing in jeopardy.  Main concern would be people entering and exiting the ground around the same time as would be an element of bottle-necking. Would be okay for a few hundred but would likely require stewarding costs of a bigger than normal match. 

I'm not sure SG want spectators on terracing, I think they want them seated.  

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Yup, but these people are everywhere in society in terms of following guidelines elsewhere. Ultimately if they don’t follow guidelines they will get thrown out and I would fully support that if anyone puts us getting back into games at risk. 

Look at Inverness and the statement they put out about a seemingly fictitious incident at their last home game. The press are ready to pounce on any perceived breach of protocol.   

18 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

How many times.........

The clubs were told to expect no supporters till 2021 and then a limited number after that. Whilst I'll grant you they probably assumed more than 300, the clubs were well informed how bad it may be and should absolutely have been budgeting for it. They chose to play anyway and will need to deal with it. The League should have been parked to January IMO but clubs wanted to get started.

This is completely untrue.

Clubs had already started pilot exercises back in September in cooperation with the Scottish Government with a view to getting limited crowds back on a timetable to be agreed thereafter.  Things were looking positive until the emergence of a 2nd wave of infection, which while a known risk was in no way guaranteed.  

The clubs made the decision to restart the leagues in August then October based on various factors including the expected end of the furlough scheme and potential commercial liabilities to TV/sponsorship if they didn’t.   At the point that decision was made, the Scottish Government had not advised the clubs of any fixed timetable for the return of fans (2021 or otherwise)  though there was clearly optimism back in the Summer that it would be possible later in the year hence the go ahead for the pilot games in both rugby and football.

That said, most of the clubs were fairly prudent and assumed it could be after Christmas before limited crowds would be allowed.  The problem now is that it is likely to be well into 2021 before crowds of any kind are back for the majority of clubs across the Central Belt.  Clearly clubs have not planned for that and puts them in a likely position where many will have gone for a full calendar year without usual levels of match day revenue.  

In that case, I don’t think it is unreasonable to seek some kind of financial support from the Government.  Whether they get it is another question.  However, to imply as you have that the clubs have brought this on themselves by not planning ahead properly or in some way ignoring unambiguous advice or direction from the Government is patent nonsense.  

43 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'm not sure SG want spectators on terracing, I think they want them seated.  

Surely there are arguments to suggest that standing is actually safer, in terms of moving past people to go to the toilet/food etc etc. 

That would be a particularly ridiculous stance tbh. 

49 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Surely there are arguments to suggest that standing is actually safer, in terms of moving past people to go to the toilet/food etc etc. 

That would be a particularly ridiculous stance tbh. 

This is in level 1.

Screenshot_2020-11-26-16-53-04-423_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.f0796b2d2b8bbd60f92a2060f842ee9b.jpg

3 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Might just have another podcast out before Saturday's match. 

Best post on the thread this week. 👏

I'll listen to it tonight. If you're dropping another podcast I hope its with an extra special guest? 

2 hours ago, HMIP said:

In that case, I don’t think it is unreasonable to seek some kind of financial support from the Government.  Whether they get it is another question.  However, to imply as you have that the clubs have brought this on themselves by not planning ahead properly or in some way ignoring unambiguous advice or direction from the Government is patent nonsense.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/55004568

The money is in the pipeline

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55091790

Perhaps clubs would be in a better position if Doncaster fixed that though.....