The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Too many folk in here pissing themselves, it’s getting ridiculous. 

I would say we need another coach and three new signings a cb a combative cm and a striker. I think a coach could come in and see him change shape which could be the problem. I don’t think this formation allows protection and is maybe to expansive when play away from home 

I just watched Kerr's interview, was a bit bizarre the praise of Chalmers and Murdoch.

For the second goal, last season's Murdoch would of chopped the boy. As my brother pointed out to me it was a similar place he chopped a Morton boy and ended up out for a season. So maybe there was some reluctance to take him out? I dont think that's the case but seemed a no brainer to stop the attack.

Chalmers frustrates me terribly, he's a classy player but he needs to contribute more. I dunno how he could have ever been a left back, he only has one speed setting - 'saunter'.

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

I am not saying we should sack him, what I take issue with is people saying that we are either doing well or that we should accept our situation. We had to suffer some of the worst teams in the clubs history due to the post-Barr era financial situation and have an been gradually progressing over the last 5 years, until this year. 

For some fans to say that we should accept our lot or not speak up when we have been continually dreadful for a number of months and don't show a single sign of improvement is a tad condescending. 

We should finish 5th, worse than last season, chill out......this sounds like you have settled for worse than last season and we should relax and be happy with it. 

Apparently not agreeing with this is "Knicker wetting"

Well by your logic we'll be winning the SPL in about 15 seasons. 

Unless God forbid we don't improve our final league position season on season. Crazy thinking from somebody who's actually an Ayr United fan. 

Anybody who dares to try and defend the team and bring some sensible thought to the table at the moment is a happy clapper. 

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Well by your logic we'll be winning the SPL in about 15 seasons. 

Unless God forbid we don't improve our final league position season on season. Crazy thinking from somebody who's actually an Ayr United fan. 

Anybody who dares to try and defend the team and bring some sensible thought to the table at the moment is a happy clapper. 

First part is a petty argument you know doesn't hold up, the second part is nonsense. suggesting the team is  beyond criticism whilst having the worst form in the league makes you a happy clapper by definition. 

Improvement on and off the field, being competitive with that improvement on the park is a must, we are not competitive, we have not improved, we are not showing any signs of improvement and on current form will be relegated. But by your logic, we should all shut up and believe really hard we will get better. 

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Improvement on and off the field, being competitive with that improvement on the park is a must, we are not competitive, we have not improved, we are not showing any signs of improvement and on current form will be relegated. But by your logic, we should all shut up and believe really hard we will get better. 

Surely the biggest worry and the biggest crux amongst all the chat from the non happy clappers. Can this be fixed from brining in one or two new faces, I can't really see it. Can it be fixed on the training ground with any relative urgency, not any time soon from what I can see.

Hopefully today was a wake up call for the players, but there should really have been one before that.

22 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

First part is a petty argument you know doesn't hold up, the second part is nonsense. suggesting the team is  beyond criticism whilst having the worst form in the league makes you a happy clapper by definition. 

You started the pettiness by insisting that season on season improvement is the be all and end all.

Despite what folk say or might think, we actually have been competitive in most league games this season. We might have lost them but you can point to individual errors or poor decisions, but we've still been competitive. 

That's what still gives me hope that things will turn for the better, despite what the majority on here might tell you. Please don't take that of an acceptance of mediocrity or that the team is beyond criticism. I want this club to succeed as much as the next person. 

Happy to be a happy clapper in the circumstances. 

Edited by BukyOHare

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Reading some Dundee fans reviews on tonight's game and suddenly McPake's somewhere between Klopp and Guardiola. 

In short, a run of good results doesn't make you the best, and a few bad results doesn't make you the worst. Variance dictates there will be ups and downs throughout a season. 

With all that taken into account we should finish around fifth this season. 

Chill out. 

Worth pointing out that Kerr isn’t chilling out.  Indeed, his interviews are becoming an exercise in escalating fury.  He described today’s capitulation as embarrassing.  So for anyone to come on here and ask the fans to feel any different is just ridiculous.  

Edited by HMIP

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Surely the biggest worry and the biggest crux amongst all the chat from the non happy clappers. Can this be fixed from brining in one or two new faces, I can't really see it. Can it be fixed on the training ground with any relative urgency, not any time soon from what I can see.

When we brought in Stevenson, Keenan and McGowan during difficult periods, their effort lifted the club, bringing in 2-3 players that hate losing or have high standards that can drag other players with them, Like Harvey or Adams, Keenan, Docherty, Shankland....Muirhead and McCowan seem those types of players, after the end of the month, hopefully Smith as well. 

11 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

You started the pettiness by insisting that season on season improvement is the be all and end all

Quote where I said this

12 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Despite what folk say or might think, we actually have been competitive in most league games this season. We might have lost them but you can point to individual errors or poor decisions, but we've still been competitive. 

We still make errors, the same ones every week. we have not got better, either coaching has failed to fix it, man management has failed to address the fact that training hasn't fixed it or the players aren't good enough to learn from it. Kerrs post match interview suggests that he sees it as the latter and who knows what the players think. 

There is not one sign that it will improve other than a vague hint that a player that is highly regarded might come on loan. Anderson was highly regarded, high regard doesn't equal actual talent. There needs to be improvement now, rapid improvement or this season goes from being a failure to being a shitshow.  Cameron himself said that we were aiming for promotion this year.

For me, improvement would be 2nd or 3rd, be in the hunt  beyond Christmas and 1-2 players to develop, like McCowan, Houston, Reading and McKenzie to the point we would get money for them or they would at least move up a level. All realistic targets based on the last two years. 

Before we look at new players, there needs to be an acceptance that Kerr needs help with an experienced coach added to his backroom team.  If nothing else, I seriously doubt that money and availability will add up to any real quality being available in January. More likely it will be the usual array of waifs and strays we see most years.  You can pretty much see Kerr biting his tongue in the after match interview as there are clearly a few players he’d like to chuck under the bus, but he knows that what he has is pretty much what he’s stuck with.  

The problem for me is we’ve not really controlled a game all season, apart from maybe the Morton game and we still managed to lose it!

On individual players no-one’s really been consistently reliable. There have been flashes where Moff, McCowan & Smith have linked up well but they’ve been few and far between. Other than maybe his cameo in the Raith game Zanatta’s not impressed me, Chalmers is composed but really slow in everything he does, Smith’s undoubtedly been the best of the new faces but even he’s somewhat inconsistent. I hope it was just rustiness today but I thought Walsh was awful.

In summary we’re defensively shaky and often toothless going forward. Sigh.

14 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

When we brought in Stevenson, Keenan and McGowan during difficult periods, their effort lifted the club, bringing in 2-3 players that hate losing or have high standards that can drag other players with them, Like Harvey or Adams, Keenan, Docherty, Shankland....Muirhead and McCowan seem those types of players, after the end of the month, hopefully Smith as well. 

Quote where I said this

We still make errors, the same ones every week. we have not got better, either coaching has failed to fix it, man management has failed to address the fact that training hasn't fixed it or the players aren't good enough to learn from it. Kerrs post match interview suggests that he sees it as the latter and who knows what the players think. 

There is not one sign that it will improve other than a vague hint that a player that is highly regarded might come on loan. Anderson was highly regarded, high regard doesn't equal actual talent. There needs to be improvement now, rapid improvement or this season goes from being a failure to being a shitshow.  Cameron himself said that we were aiming for promotion this year.

For me, improvement would be 2nd or 3rd, be in the hunt  beyond Christmas and 1-2 players to develop, like McCowan, Houston, Reading and McKenzie to the point we would get money for them or they would at least move up a level. All realistic targets based on the last two years. 

You still haven't managed to tell me about a league game this season when we've been uncompetitive in it. 

You talk about improvement being quantified in terms of a finishing league position. 

The players you quote can still improve, hopefully with us, but they are promising players nonetheless. 

I'd be more worried if Kerr wasn't being more and more frustrated with the performances that his team is currently giving him.

All I'm suggesting is that now isn't the time to rip it up and start again. Not to suggest that improvement is not required far from it. Nobody will know that more than the players and management. 

So we should settle for being worse than the last two seasons ? Hoping it is a gradual decline rather than rapid? Thats what we should be aiming for?

Season upon season improvement, no? 

16 minutes ago, munro7 said:

On individual players no-one’s really been consistently reliable. There have been flashes where Moff, McCowan & Smith have linked up well but they’ve been few and far between. 

I agree with this. We have played well in patches but seemingly are unable to do so for even 45 out of 90 minutes.

Kerr seems fairly honest in his post-match assessments and I think he is right to say that he is being let down by certain individuals. However he doesn't help with bizarre decisions like playing Zanatta (in my opinion his worst signing) ahead of Moffat in a position where he is clearly unsuited.

I think he would do well to settle on a system and focus on making that work, and changes he can make in the transfer window will be key to his future here. He is a new manager and bound to make mistakes so the question is whether he is able to find solutions.

Edited by rgreig

4 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Chalmers is a fantastic player, that in the correct formation would be one of the best players in the division, Like Adams at Dundee. 

However, he is currently a passenger, playing Hollywood  passes for Zanatta or Anderson to hide from and jogging beside players as they run past him.

The rest, yip, Shite

Adam, his name is just Adam.

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

You still haven't managed to tell me about a league game this season when we've been uncompetitive in it. 

We have won 6 out of 15, including impressive victories like  5-2 against Albion Rovers, 1-0 against Annan and a resounding 1-1 draw with Stranraer that we won on penalties. 4 out of 6 victories have been against part time teams, we were beaten by the other one we played. We have not won 9 out of 15 times, including a draw with Morton where we scored with our only shot on goal and you want me to define a game where we didn't compete ? 

15 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

You talk about improvement being quantified in terms of a finishing league position. 

How would you define it?  Belief? positivity? Or performance, is it better? goals scored? is it better? players developed? is it better? points gained? is it better? Money made? is it better? 
I qualified my position on what I saw relative success was to Ayr, you've ignored it. 

19 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

The players you quote can still improve, hopefully with us, but they are promising players nonetheless. 

The first part, yes, of course. The second part, no evidence this will happen in the last 15 games, in most cases, players have regressed. 

21 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I'd be more worried if Kerr wasn't being more and more frustrated with the performances that his team is currently giving him.

This contradicts everything else you have said, everything is rosy apparently. He should just accept it. 

22 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

All I'm suggesting is that now isn't the time to rip it up and start again. Not to suggest that improvement is not required far from it. Nobody will know that more than the players and management. 

I am suggesting it needs ripped up and started again because it clearly isn't working, whether that is in the coaching staff, playing staff or whatever, something is rotten to the core and needs dramatic change to stop the rot before it gets worse. If you have high standards you don't want them to drop. I am sure Kerr doesn't want them to drop but he is the only one who can change them. He was backed in January and the summer. McCall complained last year that the budget was cut, More money was made available so Kerr doesn't have that excuse. If it is down to scouting or homework on players then that needs addressed because the failure rate on Kerrs signings is unacceptably high. 

Baird is a silent captain that is currently a league 2 defender, Miller, I don't know what he is but he isn't a championship player, Zanatta is a fraud, pure and simple, should be dazzling on a wing in league one, Anderson came out of hiding once in 10 games, Cameron can control a ball further than most can kick it, Sinisalo is either making camera saves or is like Casper the friendly ghost, Walsh is now professionally injured. Reading is a youth player, not ready to play mens football. Chalmers is a complete luxury player, a Rolls Royce when we need a Land Rover. Smith is a good championship player, like Moore was a good league one player, the only one that has been a consistently good 7/10 player that Kerr has signed. 

40 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

So we should settle for being worse than the last two seasons ? Hoping it is a gradual decline rather than rapid? Thats what we should be aiming for?

Season upon season improvement, no? 

I answered that and you chose to ignore it

19 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You can bring in good players in a January window. Remember signing Bell & Kerr in the same window in our title winning year. It can be done but its not going to be easy. Thats for sure.

John Rankin was on off the ball and said that he and Kerr are friends, Kerr  had never won anything as a player and saw moving to Ayr as a last chance to win a medal which led Rankin to his decision to sign for Clyde......Bell was I think, down to luck, Stranraer were desperate to offload players and we were playing them the same week, it looked like the deal was done at the side of the pitch. It was easier to sign quality players on the verge of part time/already part time than it will be to do it at this level. I think we may need to go "off-piste" to get the quality we need. 

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Is that seriously your level of expectation? Just to be competitive?

We’re not plucky wee Brechin from the 17/18 season for f**k’s sake. We’ve finished fourth the last two seasons, we should be aspiring to be more than just “competitive”.

We should finish 5th, worse than last season, chill out......this sounds like you have settled for worse than last season and we should relax and be happy with it. 
Apparently not agreeing with this is "Knicker wetting"
Absolutely no-one is suggesting that the team is beyond criticism, or that we should be happy.

It's the over-the-top hyperbolic pish that folk spout after a defeat that folk are pulling up.

These include :

- we are certain to be relegated
- none of the players have any guts

And generally predict continued doom and gloom until the manager is punted.

Worth pointing out that Kerr isn’t chilling out.  Indeed, his interviews are becoming an exercise in escalating fury.  He described today’s capitulation as embarrassing.  So for anyone to come on here and ask the fans to feel any different is just ridiculous.  

I would expect people to be pissed off, and I've got no issue with folk thinking that a change of manager is required.

The form is dreadful, and there are clear problems in the first team squad.

Fortunately decisions will be taken away from the immediate angst of a last minute defeat. Serious changes are needed, but as has been repeatedly pointed out, football can change quickly.

Whether you think kerr deserves the chance to make improvements this month, or whether you want a change of manager now - let's not forget that we've been in darker places than this, and due to the pandemic restrictions this has been a horrendous season in so many ways.

Is that seriously your level of expectation? Just to be competitive?
We’re not plucky wee Brechin from the 17/18 season for f**k’s sake. We’ve finished fourth the last two seasons, we should be aspiring to be more than just “competitive”.
As has been pointed out, it's simply not possible to improve year on year. Literally impossible.

We've made huge strides on and off the pitch and we'll hopefully not lose our position (as a competitive championship club that is a genuine contender for promotion playoffs).

But we lost the manager who guided us into this position, and we lost a huge number of influential players. We built what looked like a really competitive squad and it's not worked out - but the financial picture is incredibly bleak - and that will take precedence. If you offered the chairman a finish between 5th - 8th at the moment I'm sure he'd take it. I probably would do too.

19 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Absolutely no-one is suggesting that the team is beyond criticism, or that we should be happy.

It's the over-the-top hyperbolic pish that folk spout after a defeat that folk are pulling up.

These include :

- we are certain to be relegated
- none of the players have any guts

And generally predict continued doom and gloom until the manager is punted.

You are just heavily implying it, arrogantly following posts on here calling people trolls, telling them to wind their neck in, asking if they are new to football when they state an opinion you don't agree with but don't respond to any points that are made, no discussion or points are allowed because you don't agree with them.