The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Moffat can still play a part. However, if playing him up top on his own it has got be as a false nine and balls should be played into feet and the 2/3 players behind him need to be moving into space.

Shelling balls to Moffat and expecting him to win a header and direct it to a teammate is nuts. Of our current squad - only Wright can play like that.

In my time supporting the club, the only striker I've seen capable of that consistently is Shankland. He won more than his fair share of long balls where normally the defender would be favourite. When you shelled a ball long with Shankland you half expected him to do something. However, that is the exception not the norm.

If you have a forward that can play alone up front , lead the line , get more than 50% out of two centre backs, link up play and get about 20 goals in a season , then I’m afraid he won’t be grafting his trade in the Championship for long . 

I wish we would get back to two up front , yes it’ll weaken us defensively but we will score more goals . In an ideal world that would be Wright and Moore up front ,with Moff doing the last 20 mins .... That would mean the break up of the fun boy three , which will be getting broken up in May anyway when their contracts run out . 

Anyway all hypothetical as Wright and Moore are currently grubbed . So it’s either give McKenzie a run either solo , or with Moff or Luke . Or get into the loan market and try to persuade St Mirren or Livingston to loan us one of their six footers . 

Btw I see Ross McIver has joined Thistle on loan .... 

Michael Moffat is an impact-sub player for linking up play against tired defences. I actually thought he had a good game yesterday and worked with little/to no service he had. 

If we were to play him from the beginning, then I would like to see McCowan alongside of him.

Edited by THEHonestman1910

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

Genuinely, do we think we might see Moore play at all this season? Not fair to put him under pressure after so long out but could do with an actual number 9...

From the chat about a month ago when the article talking about all his injuries came out, I think it'll be into April before we see him this season (if at all). @Robbo63 maybe has a better feel.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

From the chat about a month ago when the article talking about all his injuries came out, I think it'll be into April before we see him this season (if at all). @Robbo63 maybe has a better feel.

Mid  April I would say is about best we expect , not taking part in practise games yet 

43 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Any word on Hopkins back room staff yet, he gave the impression that something would be done on Friday.

Saw a guy in the pictures from Cumnock who I didn't recognise, could have been an academy guy though.

Wonder who it'll be, could make a whole new thread "The next Ayr United Assistant Manager" lol

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

Any word on Hopkins back room staff yet, he gave the impression that something would be done on Friday.

Should be announced tomorrow or Tuesday , he was at his previous club working on Saturday , 

50 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Saw a guy in the pictures from Cumnock who I didn't recognise, could have been an academy guy though.

Wonder who it'll be, could make a whole new thread "The next Ayr United Assistant Manager" lol

Wasn’t at Cumnock , I would think he was over 200  miles away , if rumours are correct 

1 minute ago, Robbo63 said:

Wasn’t at Cumnock , I would think he was over 200  miles away , if rumours are correct 

That's south not north to save folk time speculating about ICT or Ross County staff. 

Dave Timmons must be a possibility. Was our goalkeeping/recruitment coach that Hopkin brought in.
Think he's at Rochdale.

We’ve already got a goalkeeping coach so unless he’s just bringing him in to help with overall training and recruitment then I’m not sure. He signed a fair amount of shite for you lot as well so I’d rather it wasn’t him.

5 hours ago, super_carson said:

Genuinely, do we think we might see Moore play at all this season? Not fair to put him under pressure after so long out but could do with an actual number 9...

I know he is far from perfect and some think he is absolutely useless,  and has his injury issues etc but I would feel a million times more confident about staying up this season if Moore was fit the now.  The only player in the current squad that I'd go into a game thinking there was a good chance that he would get a goal.  

Looked the other day when Hopkin was announced and the other guy who was on the coaching setup at Bradford was Martin Drury.

The 34 year old Is currently head of individual development at Bradford, unsure if a guy that age with family would be willing to relocate to Scotland just now in the midst of a pandemic but who knows.

That's the only possible link with Hopkin and a guy being a couple of hundered miles away that i've come across. I'm probably doing a 2+2=5 moment...

Edited by rb123!

Moore would be a hero to the Ayr support if it wasn’t for two things, missing the penalty at Alloa and Lawrence Shankland. 

He scored a barrel load when we won the league, Shankland got sent off against Stranraer and We nearly blew the whole being against Alloa. Shankland was forgiven and Moore wasn’t.

I’d like to see a fit Moore back to prove what he can do in the Championship, maybe rather than prove himself on a short term deal, sign him for a year and loan him out for the first half, we still pay him for half a season but hopefully it is the fit, match sharp half.