The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

So what we still needing? 

Goalkeeper

2x Midfielders (one Defensive and one attacking 

1/2 Strikers

Not sure if the two Burnley boys will come on top of that or whether we will be targeting them for these positions. 

The problem we have is that anyone who's already proven that they're "really good" at our level isn't someone we're likely going to get, as it's highly unlikely they will still be at this level or released by any of our opponents, so again it's the fringepremiership squad loanees that's our main pond for fishing.

If you look at the majority of our success stories they're either our own guys such as Forrest, Crawford or McCowan or they're unknown and untested loanees such as Doohan, Kelly, Rose and Harvie or they're failures / broken and trying to rebuild their careers such as Shankland.

Personally I'm glad we've gone for another "unknown quantity" as opposed to a released Raith Rovers player who we all know their capabilities / limitations. 

There is of course no guarantees that it will work out, however our high profile guys who'd already "proven it" at this level in Anderson and Walsh didn't exactly set the heather alight last year, so definitely a signing worth making I reckon and also one that I think will work out.....

2 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Its possibly been mentioned already but is Nick McAllister injured I take it?  Don't think he has been quoted in either friendly yet 

He hasn’t featured nor has Michael Miller. Jack Baird played against TNS but didn’t feature v Stranraer 

Hopkin said he hoped to give all players 45 minutes at least against TNS and Stranraer. Baird played the full game against TNS then sat out the Stranraer game. Maybe be back in tomorrow for Muirhead or McGinty. 

We would have heard if they were on trial at other clubs I'd expect because they would be someone in the Championship. 

4 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

What’s happening with Harry Cochran’s? Is he being released by hearts? 

We definitely need a bit of creativity in the middle of the park as I just don't think Chalmers is up to it. 

I'd take Kelly back in an instant but if this is off the cards then we may have to be looking at another "trialist" or one of the Burnley lads as potentially this is the most important position on the park for us.

13 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

He hasn’t featured nor has Michael Miller. Jack Baird played against TNS but didn’t feature v Stranraer 

Both in line for tomorrow and Tuesday , believe it was more illness than injury 

Just now, WATTOO said:

We definitely need a bit of creativity in the middle of the park as I just don't think Chalmers is up to it. 

I'd take Kelly back in an instant but if this is off the cards then we may have to be looking at another "trialist" or one of the Burnley lads as potentially this is the most important position on the park for us.

I think he will sign another couple and then some loanees who are capable of doing well in this league 

15 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

What’s happening with Harry Cochran’s? Is he being released by hearts? 

He rejected their contract.

Fine in principle, but he's kind of fucked himself as Hearts are due a 6 figure fee in compensation from whatever club signs him, and there's no team in Scotland likely to do that.

Presumably Hearts could accept a lower fee if you went to them direct, probably in exchange for a sell on clause, but you never know how that club will act

52 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The problem we have is that anyone who's already proven that they're "really good" at our level isn't someone we're likely going to get, as it's highly unlikely they will still be at this level or released by any of our opponents, so again it's the fringepremiership squad loanees that's our main pond for fishing.

If you look at the majority of our success stories they're either our own guys such as Forrest, Crawford or McCowan or they're unknown and untested loanees such as Doohan, Kelly, Rose and Harvie or they're failures / broken and trying to rebuild their careers such as Shankland.

Personally I'm glad we've gone for another "unknown quantity" as opposed to a released Raith Rovers player who we all know their capabilities / limitations. 

There is of course no guarantees that it will work out, however our high profile guys who'd already "proven it" at this level in Anderson and Walsh didn't exactly set the heather alight last year, so definitely a signing worth making I reckon and also one that I think will work out.....

Agree with this .. the lad looks like a grafter that can run the channels rather than just a lump . I wonder what is thinking of the join him up front . A completely fit Craig Moore would have been perfect , so somebody like that or another big/bigger unit to head it into the chaanels for Tam . Or maybe McKenzie will get a shot .

3 minutes ago, North British said:

Agree with this .. the lad looks like a grafter that can run the channels rather than just a lump . I wonder what is thinking of the join him up front . A completely fit Craig Moore would have been perfect , so somebody like that or another big/bigger unit to head it into the chaanels for Tam . Or maybe McKenzie will get a shot .

I think we will have a big forward alongside him , when you hear his interview on BW Tv , he mentions that he likes to play off the centre forward and feels comfortable running the channels , can play wide either side and through the middle 

Edited by Finlay21

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

I think we will have a big forward alongside him , when you hear his interview on BW Tv , he mentions that he likes to play off the centre forward and feels comfortable running the channels , can play wide either side snd through the middle 

Isn’t he about 6’2 himself? One thing for certain is that we’re going to have a pretty huge side next season. 

4 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

In the article on the daily record website it mentions that Hopkin tried to sign Adeloye for Morton so it’s obviously a player he knows about 

Well d'uh, he signed him  for Ayr so of course he's at least spiritually ex-Morton. (but I like the look of him! no complaints! I said this before!)

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I assume I'm on WATTOO's blocklist alongside everyone else who has dared to explain this to him, but the reason that Ayr are fighting for scraps right now is not intrinsically because Ayr are a Crappy Wee Diddy Club(TM), but because the management team somehow failed to predict that other clubs might want to sign players too. And this is a vicious cycle because players who do get released late in the window are going to be looking around for clubs with ambition: if they look at Ayr's ins and outs thus far (not to mention where they ended up last season) then this is going to work against them. All the more reason to get out of the blocks immediately and make sure there's momentum for a rebuild. It's depressing thinking that not only did McCall know this but he also repeatedly did wee video interviews explaining it. The owner can't have been unaware of these; it's not like he's some Taiwanese steel magnate or something with no real knowledge of the club.

Edited by Thumper