The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Can only suggest you listen to the interview.  Lots of face saving all round, but the difference between sacking someone and asking them to leave is pretty slim.

I listened to it. Smith never once hinted to the circumstances surrounding his departure. He only said they had a pretty honest chat and had differing opinions. If that was the case and Smith wanted him out then he’d of been sacked.

I know you'll have oodles of fans of other clubs Duffy has managed chucking in their tuppence worth, but I'm off this afternoon. So you'll now have to deal with mine. And it's bloody colossal. 

Jim Duffy is probably the biggest disappointment of a managerial appointment Sons have made in my lifetime. Although Morton fans did brief us fairly accurately on how his time at the Rock would go.

Spoiler

Duffy inherited a real mess from Stevie Aitken. A tiny squad, ravaged by injury, without a goalkeeper who was good enough, a left-back who was good enough and poorly balanced. What it did have was a bit of quality though. Craig Barr, Cammy Ballantyne, Stuart Carswell, Ross Forbes, Calum Gallagher and, of course, Dom Thomas were all very good League One players.

Duffy's first game saw him deploy Forbes at left-back, Gallagher on the wing, start veteran Iain Russell, sign ancient goalkeeper Chris Smith and fire up plenty of exciting set piece routines. We played some supremely sexy football and destroyed East Fife (who were on a club record run of consecutive victories) 4-0. 

After that explosion came a 1-0 loss to Montrose and form basically bounced around. We battered Brechin, but suffered some utterly miserable defeats (notably 3-0 to Forfar with two outfield subs and 3-0 to Airdrie where he subbed Chris Smith to give our sub keeper, Jamie McGowan, some gametime. Boys club stuff).

It really felt like a case of grabbing what we could until January, then hoping Duffy addressed the big issues in the squad. 

January arrived and his signings were, erm, not quite what we expected. He let Brad Spencer (now at Raith Rovers) and Scott Allardice (now at ICT) leave as they had barely featured under his management. And brought in Ben Armour on loan from Morton, David Ferguson on loan from yourselves, Henk van Schaik on loan from Livingston and Conor Brennan and Boris Melingui from a Brechin side we had pumped 4-1 a month earlier.

Armour, Henk, Brennan and Melingui didn't add much. But Ferguson was superb. The missing cog. He went to right-back, Cammy Ballantyne moved to left-back and, a few months later, he added big Brian McLean, who cruised through games.

Between January 26 and May 4 Dumbarton lost two matches. Two from 15. There was an incredible 4-3 win against East Fife, Arbroath were sworded at the Rock, we hammered Stranraer away and East Fife at home. The team played some absolutely superb football. That season ended with Forbes, Gallagher and Thomas all scoring double figures. The fact that we went on that run, had that sort of threat, and only finished sixth highlights how woeful the opening months were.

If you had started the season in January then Forfar Athletic would've won the league, and we would've been tucked in just behind them. There was a real feeling of optimism ahead of 2019/20.

As we entered May Duffy started farting about over whether or not he wanted to sign a new contract. A few players, who wouldn't commit until they knew who would be in charge, moved elsewhere.

At the tail end of May he agreed a new deal and offered contracts. By all accounts he felt the squad were overpaid the season previous and offered everyone reduced money. Unsurprisingly almost every single player departed. Bobby Barr to East Stirlingshire, Ross Forbes to Forfar, Calum Gallagher to Airdrie, Craig Barr to Cowdenbeath, Brian McLean to Morton.

No matter, we thought. That squad had underachieved. Time for the Duff to earn his corn in the transfer market.

Well our first friendly was cancelled in early July because Duffy didn't have enough players...

Duffy went out and signed half the exit trial. And good god. What a rag-tag bunch. Ryan Tierney, Jordan Pettigrew, Ruaridh Langan, Conor Scullion and the god-awful Mati Zata,

Only Joe McKee and the late window signing of the fantastic Reghan Tumilty saved that summer. Ryan McGeever and Morgyn Neill became very solid players thanks to Duffy's work with them, but at first they were both horrific.

Anyway. Form was okay. Albeit after we were embarrassed in the Betfred. David Hopkin's Morton put us to the sword 6-1 (and were 5-0 up at half-time), QOS battered us 4-1 going on 10-1. Ray McKinnon's Falkirk smashed us 6-0 going on 19-0 in the league.

We clogged around mid-table. We had clearly regressed from the previous season, but had just enough to keep our heads above water - and not enough to get near the top four.

In January the squad was, again, down to bare bones. We signed Robert Jones, Jai Quitongo, Callum Wilson and brought back Ross Forbes and Sam Wardrop.

It took until the end of February for us to win again. Craig McPherson, Duffy's assistant had left and been replaced by Barry Smith, and the style of football we played with in his first season was a distant memory.

Just before lockdown we lost 2-0 to Clyde. The season was basically over. Stranraer were down, Forfar were terrible and we were going to slog it out with Clyde and Peterhead for the places nobody cares about.

We'll fast forward through the Covid months to the start of the 2020/21 season. Again Duffy's recruitment was very late, again it was pretty uninspiring (Denny Johnstone, Chris Smith (again), Nat Wedderburn, Donald Morrison, Jaime Wilson, Matthew Reilly). His shining lights looked to be the outstanding Kevin Dabrowski and Chris Hamilton. A centre-half on loan from Hearts who Duffy had decided was a left winger.

Very early on however we looked to have an issue. Since losing Gallagher, Forbes (v2.0) and Thomas Sons had struggled going forward. And that was getting a whole lot worse.

Defensively Dumbarton were fine. Ryan McGeever and Morgyn Neill were a solid pairing. Sam Wardrop and Rico Quitongo (despite offering nothing beyond the half way line) were defensively disciplined. Beyond that? Nothing. It was like the defensive side of the game was all that interested him. As long as we kept clean sheets (and "competed well" he was pleased).

Between the league beginning in October and ending (for us) on December 19 Dumbarton scored the grand total of five times in nine games. Just once in their last five prior to lockdown.

Things restarted in March and the issue was the same. Rabin Omar's goal against Falkirk was our only one in the first six league games back. Two goals in 11 league games.

The football was absolutely diabolical to watch. There was no creation, no intent and, above all else, absolutely no attacking quality. We averaged one shot on target every 2.8 games. 

We correctly finished ninth, despite the shock of scoring three on the final day against Peterhead. Ending the season with 14 goals in 22 games. Forfar (relegated) had scored 18...

The playoffs were a slog, aside from the Edinburgh City away game which we won 3-1, and we managed to shitfest survival.

But the mood around the club was as low as I'd seen it. Duffy is not good at talking things up, he didn't get involved in anything off the park during his time with us and everything felt horribly stale. There was a real relief when he decided not to renew his contract.

I cannot explain just how seismic the change has been since Stevie Farrell came in. He's brought an enthusiasm, a vigour and an excitement back. That was never really the case under Duffy. In fact, to tell you the truth, it felt like he viewed managing us as a bit of an inconvenience. The buzz I got from meeting Farrell for the first time was such a change from Duffy that it instantly got me excited for the new season. That clearly rubs off on players too; his recruitment (on paper at least) was a whole lot better than Duffy managed.

I wish him well at Ayr United. I think he's good at steadying the ship. A Tony Pulis or big Sam if you will. We regressed every year under him though, so if I was in charge at Somerset Park I'd be sounding out someone like Peter Murphy for the summer.

I know you'll have oodles of fans of other clubs Duffy has managed chucking in their tuppence worth, but I'm off this afternoon. So you'll now have to deal with mine. And it's bloody colossal. 
Jim Duffy is probably the biggest disappointment of a managerial appointment Sons have made in my lifetime. Although Morton fans did brief us fairly accurately on how his time at the Rock would go.
Spoiler

Duffy inherited a real mess from Stevie Aitken. A tiny squad, ravaged by injury, without a goalkeeper who was good enough, a left-back who was good enough and poorly balanced. What it did have was a bit of quality though. Craig Barr, Cammy Ballantyne, Stuart Carswell, Ross Forbes, Calum Gallagher and, of course, Dom Thomas were all very good League One players.
Duffy's first game saw him deploy Forbes at left-back, Gallagher on the wing, start veteran Iain Russell, sign ancient goalkeeper Chris Smith and fire up plenty of exciting set piece routines. We played some supremely sexy football and destroyed East Fife (who were on a club record run of consecutive victories) 4-0. 
After that explosion came a 1-0 loss to Montrose and form basically bounced around. We battered Brechin, but suffered some utterly miserable defeats (notably 3-0 to Forfar with two outfield subs and 3-0 to Airdrie where he subbed Chris Smith to give our sub keeper, Jamie McGowan, some gametime. Boys club stuff).
It really felt like a case of grabbing what we could until January, then hoping Duffy addressed the big issues in the squad. 
January arrived and his signings were, erm, not quite what we expected. He let Brad Spencer (now at Raith Rovers) and Scott Allardice (now at ICT) leave as they had barely featured under his management. And brought in Ben Armour on loan from Morton, David Ferguson on loan from yourselves, Henk van Schaik on loan from Livingston and Conor Brennan and Boris Melingui from a Brechin side we had pumped 4-1 a month earlier.
Armour, Henk, Brennan and Melingui didn't add much. But Ferguson was superb. The missing cog. He went to right-back, Cammy Ballantyne moved to left-back and, a few months later, he added big Brian McLean, who cruised through games.
Between January 26 and May 4 Dumbarton lost two matches. Two from 15. There was an incredible 4-3 win against East Fife, Arbroath were sworded at the Rock, we hammered Stranraer away and East Fife at home. The team played some absolutely superb football. That season ended with Forbes, Gallagher and Thomas all scoring double figures. The fact that we went on that run, had that sort of threat, and only finished sixth highlights how woeful the opening months were.
If you had started the season in January then Forfar Athletic would've won the league, and we would've been tucked in just behind them. There was a real feeling of optimism ahead of 2019/20.
As we entered May Duffy started farting about over whether or not he wanted to sign a new contract. A few players, who wouldn't commit until they knew who would be in charge, moved elsewhere.
At the tail end of May he agreed a new deal and offered contracts. By all accounts he felt the squad were overpaid the season previous and offered everyone reduced money. Unsurprisingly almost every single player departed. Bobby Barr to East Stirlingshire, Ross Forbes to Forfar, Calum Gallagher to Airdrie, Craig Barr to Cowdenbeath, Brian McLean to Morton.
No matter, we thought. That squad had underachieved. Time for the Duff to earn his corn in the transfer market.
Well our first friendly was cancelled in early July because Duffy didn't have enough players...
Duffy went out and signed half the exit trial. And good god. What a rag-tag bunch. Ryan Tierney, Jordan Pettigrew, Ruaridh Langan, Conor Scullion and the god-awful Mati Zata,
Only Joe McKee and the late window signing of the fantastic Reghan Tumilty saved that summer. Ryan McGeever and Morgyn Neill became very solid players thanks to Duffy's work with them, but at first they were both horrific.
Anyway. Form was okay. Albeit after we were embarrassed in the Betfred. David Hopkin's Morton put us to the sword 6-1 (and were 5-0 up at half-time), QOS battered us 4-1 going on 10-1. Ray McKinnon's Falkirk smashed us 6-0 going on 19-0 in the league.
We clogged around mid-table. We had clearly regressed from the previous season, but had just enough to keep our heads above water - and not enough to get near the top four.
In January the squad was, again, down to bare bones. We signed Robert Jones, Jai Quitongo, Callum Wilson and brought back Ross Forbes and Sam Wardrop.
It took until the end of February for us to win again. Craig McPherson, Duffy's assistant had left and been replaced by Barry Smith, and the style of football we played with in his first season was a distant memory.
Just before lockdown we lost 2-0 to Clyde. The season was basically over. Stranraer were down, Forfar were terrible and we were going to slog it out with Clyde and Peterhead for the places nobody cares about.
We'll fast forward through the Covid months to the start of the 2020/21 season. Again Duffy's recruitment was very late, again it was pretty uninspiring (Denny Johnstone, Chris Smith (again), Nat Wedderburn, Donald Morrison, Jaime Wilson, Matthew Reilly). His shining lights looked to be the outstanding Kevin Dabrowski and Chris Hamilton. A centre-half on loan from Hearts who Duffy had decided was a left winger.
Very early on however we looked to have an issue. Since losing Gallagher, Forbes (v2.0) and Thomas Sons had struggled going forward. And that was getting a whole lot worse.
Defensively Dumbarton were fine. Ryan McGeever and Morgyn Neill were a solid pairing. Sam Wardrop and Rico Quitongo (despite offering nothing beyond the half way line) were defensively disciplined. Beyond that? Nothing. It was like the defensive side of the game was all that interested him. As long as we kept clean sheets (and "competed well" he was pleased).
Between the league beginning in October and ending (for us) on December 19 Dumbarton scored the grand total of five times in nine games. Just once in their last five prior to lockdown.
Things restarted in March and the issue was the same. Rabin Omar's goal against Falkirk was our only one in the first six league games back. Two goals in 11 league games.
The football was absolutely diabolical to watch. There was no creation, no intent and, above all else, absolutely no attacking quality. We averaged one shot on target every 2.8 games. 
We correctly finished ninth, despite the shock of scoring three on the final day against Peterhead. Ending the season with 14 goals in 22 games. Forfar (relegated) had scored 18...
The playoffs were a slog, aside from the Edinburgh City away game which we won 3-1, and we managed to shitfest survival.
But the mood around the club was as low as I'd seen it. Duffy is not good at talking things up, he didn't get involved in anything off the park during his time with us and everything felt horribly stale. There was a real relief when he decided not to renew his contract.
I cannot explain just how seismic the change has been since Stevie Farrell came in. He's brought an enthusiasm, a vigour and an excitement back. That was never really the case under Duffy. In fact, to tell you the truth, it felt like he viewed managing us as a bit of an inconvenience. The buzz I got from meeting Farrell for the first time was such a change from Duffy that it instantly got me excited for the new season. That clearly rubs off on players too; his recruitment (on paper at least) was a whole lot better than Duffy managed.
I wish him well at Ayr United. I think he's good at steadying the ship. A Tony Pulis or big Sam if you will. We regressed every year under him though, so if I was in charge at Somerset Park I'd be sounding out someone like Peter Murphy for the summer.

Thanks for this. I don’t think there’s any Ayr poster on here who seriously thinks that Jim Duffy is the man to take us forward over the next 3-4 years but I think he’s someone who will stabilise us and hopefully leave a solid base for a younger, more enthusiastic manager in the summer. Peter Murphy is a favourite of mine simply because I loved him as a player and I think he’s done a commendable job as Annan manager. I wouldn’t be against us looking at someone like Ian Murray or even your own Stephen Farrell.

Unless Duffy was to actually manage to get us into the playoffs at the end of the season then I’d be very much against him staying on. No harm to him as he’s come in at a tricky time after his pal took the huff and has somehow managed to turn us right around but I do think we could do with someone younger with a more experienced guy helping him out. If that was to be a Murphy/Duffy team then I’d be quite happy.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Thanks for this. I don’t think there’s any Ayr poster on here who seriously thinks that Jim Duffy is the man to take us forward over the next 3-4 years but I think he’s someone who will stabilise us and hopefully leave a solid base for a younger, more enthusiastic manager in the summer. Peter Murphy is a favourite of mine simply because I loved him as a player and I think he’s done a commendable job as Annan manager. I wouldn’t be against us looking at someone like Ian Murray or even your own Stephen Farrell.

Unless Duffy was to actually manage to get us into the playoffs at the end of the season then I’d be very much against him staying on. No harm to him as he’s come in at a tricky time after his pal took the huff and has somehow managed to turn us right around but I do think we could do with someone younger with a more experienced guy helping him out. If that was to be a Murphy/Duffy team then I’d be quite happy.

I would say that is a very fair way to look at his appointment. Duffy as a coach alongside Murphy could actually work well too.

I wondered about Faz moving to Somerset if we continue our impressive start to the season. He stays in Kilmaurs so it makes sense geographically. He's got a really solid job outside of football though, and I'm not sure if he actually has a desire to move into full-time management.

I would say that is a very fair way to look at his appointment. Duffy as a coach alongside Murphy could actually work well too.
I wondered about Faz moving to Somerset if we continue our impressive start to the season. He stays in Kilmaurs so it makes sense geographically. He's got a really solid job outside of football though, and I'm not sure if he actually has a desire to move into full-time management.

Farrell was someone I liked at Stranraer but they seemed to fall off a cliff a wee bit towards the end of his time and ended up in League 2. He did fantastically well in guiding them through a really tricky financial period when the likes of Ryan Wallace, Stevie Bell and Liam Dick all left in one window.

If he continued to have a good season with yourselves and Murphy does similar down at Annan then I’d be asking them the question. Only sticking point is the geography factor for Murphy as I believe he still stays in Carlisle.

To the end of the season is fair but it's very much a stopgap appointment if we're being totally honest. Nobody can deny performances and results have turned for the better post Hopkin and that has to be largely down to Duffy I would say.

It's always been about the performances results for me but what nags away at me is that come the end of the season we're likely back to looking for a permanent manager again and then you have the all too familiar scramble of recruitment thrown in on top of that.

I doubt very much David Smith has a top target ready to appoint come the summer which if he did would help in creating targets to sign and players to retain within the current squad.

We're treading water until the end of the season, unless Duffy is playing a master stroke and is here for the next 5 years.

I’m a big Jim Duffy fan (for absolutely no reason) and I think he is a pair of safe hands that you can rely on to keep you up.

However to choose Duffy over Derek McInnes is quite the gamble and not one that I would’ve been too happy with my club taking.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Reveal hidden contents

Basically, if our chairman even contemplates allowing Duffy to stay for longer than this season then someone needs to ensure that he is never allowed near a football decision ever again. 

17 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I’m a big Jim Duffy fan (for absolutely no reason) and I think he is a pair of safe hands that you can rely on to keep you up.

However to choose Duffy over Derek McInnes is quite the gamble and not one that I would’ve been too happy with my club taking.

Derek McInnes? Where has that came from? First I've heard of him being linked with us 🤯

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

As it's the 1st Oct can we officially start to get excited for our game v them in a few weeks? It's like a kid on the 1st dec waiting for Santa arriving. Absolutely buzzing for it 

I'm not really that excited for it yet .be better if it was 3 pm on a Saturday. Club should get this advertised everywhere possible too ensure a big home support turns out .I would love that Burke 5 ft up in the air first 5 mins .that get the crowd fired up .

7 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I'm not really that excited for it yet .be better if it was 3 pm on a Saturday. Club should get this advertised everywhere possible too ensure a big home support turns out .I would love that Burke 5 ft up in the air first 5 mins .that get the crowd fired up .

Saturday would be better, but there is something about night games in the dark that I love. Maybe not so much if its pishing wet and I'm on the NT and we're getting humped though! Totally agree that the club should be advertising it now. Even more so that it wont be on TV (unless Sky or BT pick it up which is highly unlikely) 

7 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Reading the AP article, it is until the end of the season but you can be pretty confident that as long as we aren’t relegated he will be here beyond that. This isn’t a stop gap to look at other options, this is our appointment and it’s shite.  

There is no way Duffy will be our manager next year , if you want a charity bet on that I will take your bet 

Edited by Finlay21

8 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

There is no way Duffy will be our manager next year , if you want a charity bet on that I will take your bet 

(I assume next year = next season) I will have a £10 bet on that. My charity is the Howard League.

2 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Burke 5ft up in the air? Need to get close enough first.