The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

This. Dig a whole is sung most games and is usually reserved if it’s quite obvious the opposition in mocking it. I’d like to think that wouldn’t be sung if it’s quite a player is seriously injured. 

Generally yeah, you and @Trogdor are right in that it can be OK.  

I've got a memory in my head that it was being sung while someone was going off on a stretcher quite clearly in pain though.    Suppose that's one that depends on the context. 

Edit - the Goodwin example in the 3-3 game is perfect.   That would have been OK as its clearly ironic if that makes sense as he was at it and wasn't even hiding the fact. 

Edited by Hursty

Just now, Hursty said:

I've got a memory in my head that it was being sung while someone was going off on a stretcher quite clearly in pain though.    Suppose that's one that depends on the context. 

You could be right. Airdrie at home is ringing a bell. Games against Airdrie generally seemed to be quite vile. 

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah, I reserve it for folk like Goodwin when he was player manager at Alloa and was writhing about like he'd broken his leg when he was clearly time wasting. If memory serves the ref wouldn't let him back on straight away and he was jumping up and down like a toddler. It was glorious as he was properly seething.

I wouldn't chant it at someone who is seriously injured tbf. 

Shankland then equalised with the last kick of the ball on his 2nd or 3rd appearance for Ayr when we all thought he was a bit fat and shite.  Good Times 

2 hours ago, Hursty said:

Others may disagree but I'm delighted at this response from the club.  I'm 37 and been going to Somserset since I was 6.   In that time as a kid I've found it completely normal to hear folk singing "strip wae teeth" at a black guy in a black strip (think it was Livi) or "spear chucker spear chucker nananana" at a black guy in a non black strip.   Heard folk singing "dig a hole dig a hole dig a hole" at someone down with  a bad injury and "die die die ya b*****d die ya Killie b*****d" to anyone down with a general injury.  It just seemed so normal but it clearly isn't.   I actually got a flashback to it during the summer watching the Christian Eriksen incident during the Euros.   Well done the club and anyone that sings or shouts that sort of stuff can absolutely GTF in my and I'd hope most folks opinion.  

I would never be involved in or condone any sort of racist or bigoted chanting / comments, however we do need to be careful that we're not going to far and taking all the passion and fun out of the game.

99% is harmless banter and it's worrying that folk can't separate a laugh and a joke from serious reality. 

Why does everything in the 21st century need to be taken literally ? whatever happened to satire, sarcasm and a bit of comedy ??

God forbid we all start singing that English drivel that Morton and Queens were singing, "ali, ali, ali oh", "la la la la, la la la la".

It's almost enough to make you give up the football and start going to the theatre !!!

17 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I would never be involved in or condone any sort of racist or bigoted chanting / comments, however we do need to be careful that we're not going to far and taking all the passion and fun out of the game.

99% is harmless banter and it's worrying that folk can't separate a laugh and a joke from serious reality. 

Why does everything in the 21st century need to be taken literally ? whatever happened to satire, sarcasm and a bit of comedy ??

God forbid we all start singing that English drivel that Morton and Queens were singing, "ali, ali, ali oh", "la la la la, la la la la".

It's almost enough to make you give up the football and start going to the theatre !!!

Allez is French :lol:

Wishing someone to die in there sleep isn’t harmless banter though. Doesn’t matter if the person singing it is joking or not.

There’s plenty of things that folk can shout at opposition players without resorting to that kind of thing.

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

As I understand it -

The chant at Gibson came from the Somerset Road End around about the penalty award.

It was Gibson simulating a sex act and joking about domestic violence that happened when Queens made their way to the dressing room at full time past the seggy fence.

He was also bad mouthing stewards before and after the game. Another thing he conviently forgot to mention in his tweet. 

As for our fans chanting that, its disgusting and I could probably hazard a guess the crew that it was. As they have previous for that type of thing 

14 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Some were even thicker  than that and actually bought QOS tickets 😂, they must have been desperate to watch the Super Ayr 

Please tell me they didnt get refunds? 

Edited by Thereisalight..

I dont know if it's because fans were locked out for so long, but it seems some elements of the crowd at our games have resorted to feral behaviour. Dundee Utd mob were tossers who came onto the pitch after a fluky win on pens, the Morton issue, horrible alleged chants yesterday and a QOS fan spitting in a female stewards face. That's before we even play the mob up the road 

18 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Wishing someone to die in there sleep isn’t harmless banter though. Doesn’t matter if the person singing it is joking or not.

There’s plenty of things that folk can shout at opposition players without resorting to that kind of thing.

Not at all surprising however to see that particular poster attempting to turn this into another “PC gone mad rant”, as if wishing death on people has ever been acceptable.

13 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

As for our fans chanting that, its disgusting and I could probably hazard a guess the crew that it was. As they have previous for that type of thing 

I think most of us will know exactly what group it was. They pull this kind of stuff all the time and I’ve heard them come out with worse.

Distasteful as it is, it really isn't worth get worked up about. The statement the club issued is a bit odd. It doesn't directly criticise  the fans singing the song, it very much skirts around the matter. 

Be direct or don't bother.

Distasteful as it is, it really isn't worth get worked up about. The statement the club issued is a bit odd. It doesn't directly criticise  the fans singing the song, it very much skirts around the matter. 
Be direct or don't bother.

It’s probably because they don’t have any idea who the actual culprit is but they want to make it clear that in future, should it be reported and a guilty party found then they will be dealt with.

It’s more of a final warning more than anything.

11 hours ago, rb123! said:

@Finlay21 is there not plans to get the away teams back in the away dressing rooms since this red zone has been dropped.

Having the away teams go up the terracing to the hospitality is causing these confrontational issues between supporters and players when you look at yesterday with Gibson and Dunfermline too

The stuff Gibson is talking about didn't come from the NT up near the fence, as I was there. It tends to be pretty lighthearted stuff that gets shouted back and forth up there between players/coaches and the fans.. Gibson was clearly absolutely spewing when he came off the park, so was always going to boil over. 

9 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I dont know if it's because fans were locked out for so long, but it seems some elements of the crowd at our games have resorted to feral behaviour. Dundee Utd mob were tossers who came onto the pitch after a fluky win on pens, the Morton issue, horrible alleged chants yesterday and a QOS fan spitting in a female stewards face. That's before we even play the mob up the road 

We have always had this lot at Ayr, they were at this kind of stuff at somerset and away games long before covid lockdowns. Obviously most clubs must have these idiots but it's become increasingly difficult to ignore our element.  Some of the stuff I've heard in the SRE over the years has been absolutely awful and makes you wonder why these guys actually come along to the football. The racism stuff more recently is especially disappointing.

10 minutes ago, AuAl said:

We have always had this lot at Ayr, they were at this kind of stuff at somerset and away games long before covid lockdowns. Obviously most clubs must have these idiots but it's become increasingly difficult to ignore our element.  Some of the stuff I've heard in the SRE over the years has been absolutely awful and makes you wonder why these guys actually come along to the football. The racism stuff more recently is especially disappointing.

Our home gate seems to be a little down just now as well, which probably only highlights these idiots further. Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a claim of something after the derby game (from both ends) with all the hangers on they attract. 

11 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Allez is French :lol:

Yes, I've got my higher, however I've only ever heard this little "ditty" chanted / sung in English grounds and just seems rather childlike.

I wonder if we 'll now need to change "get tae fcuk" to "please go away" and "we fcukin hate killie" to "we don't really like Killie" due to "hate" being a very strong word ??

As I've said, I don't condone any sort of racist or bigoted chanting / comments and singing "i hope you die in your sleep" may be a tad unsavoury, however it's not a crime and frankly could be seen as a compliment as personally I'd far rather die in my sleep than most other ways of going and I'm sure most of us are the same !!!

13 hours ago, Hursty said:

Edit - the Goodwin example in the 3-3 game is perfect.   That would have been OK as its clearly ironic if that makes sense as he was at it and wasn't even hiding the fact. 

We'll need a lawyer with us at future matches !!!!

Not to mention, who sets this moral code and makes the rules here ???

"Could", "Would", "Depends", "Context".

Jesus Christ, most of us have had a hard week at work and just want a bit of stress easing relaxation on a Saturday afternoon !!!

Yes, I've got my higher, however I've only ever heard this little "ditty" chanted / sung in English grounds and just seems rather childlike.
I wonder if we 'll now need to change "get tae fcuk" to "please go away" and "we fcukin hate killie" to "we don't really like Killie" due to "hate" being a very strong word ??
As I've said, I don't condone any sort of racist or bigoted chanting / comments and singing "i hope you die in your sleep" may be a tad unsavoury, however it's not a crime and frankly could be seen as a compliment as personally I'd far rather die in my sleep than most other ways of going and I'm sure most of us are the same !!!

Get a fucking grip man.

Of course we don’t need to change those phrases and you know fine well we don’t. Shouting at someone to die in their sleep is more than unsavoury as well so stop trying to justify it.

23 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We'll need a lawyer with us at future matches !!!!

Not to mention, who sets this moral code and makes the rules here ???

"Could", "Would", "Depends", "Context".

Jesus Christ, most of us have had a hard week at work and just want a bit of stress easing relaxation on a Saturday afternoon !!!

Exactly and as part of that Saturday afternoon I'd rather no spend it listening to the kinds of shite from idiots we've all been talking about.

Football has been treated as a "safe place" where everything is cool for far too long. Really need to get this "world has gone mad" kind of stuff in the fucking sea. You wouldn't get away with this kind of behaviour anywhere else, why in a football ground.

Exactly and as part of that Saturday afternoon I'd rather no spend it listening to the kinds of shite from idiots we've all been talking about.
Football has been treated as a "safe place" where everything is cool for far too long. Really need to get this "world has gone mad" kind of stuff in the fucking sea. You wouldn't get away with this kind of behaviour anywhere else, why in a football ground.
Absolutely.
It's remarkably easy to go to a football game, let off steam, create an atmosphere even, without being a monumental embarrassment in the process.