The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Jack Ross spent a fortune getting St Mirren promoted and has been punted from 2 jobs now.

I think he is an average manager who got lucky with selling a player at St Mirren and then signing a whole new team in January. If they hadn’t, he’d probably have been sacked and went back to managing part time teams.

His next move will have to be down south, I don’t think he’ll get another premier league team just now and if he takes a championship team and fails, his managerial career is all but over. 
it would almost be career suicide if he took a job in the Championship. 

16 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Jack Ross spent a fortune getting St Mirren promoted and has been punted from 2 jobs now.

I think he is an average manager who got lucky with selling a player at St Mirren and then signing a whole new team in January. If they hadn’t, he’d probably have been sacked and went back to managing part time teams.

His next move will have to be down south, I don’t think he’ll get another premier league team just now and if he takes a championship team and fails, his managerial career is all but over. 

can you tell me who he spent a fortune on?🤔

52 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He did excellently at St Mirren, but it is possible he was aided hugely by having the likes of Morgan and Mallan. 

He clearly isn’t as good a manager as everyone believed though! Lower end premiership level potentially. 

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Lower end premiership level potentially. 

I'd take a manager capable at performing at that level.

When you step back there's probably not a whole lot in standard in play between the bottom half or third of the Premier and the Championship generally on the park. I watched the Livi Hibs game last night and a guy like Forrest did not look out of place one bit. A product from our very own academy remember.

The main difference is in the budget available to spend and potentially the facilities and number of staff for off the field roles.

As a club looking for a permanent manager there'd be no harm in David Smith making a short telephone call but in reality that's all it would end up being.

It's human nature to not want to be seen to be making a backwards step career wise, that's what a move to the Championship would be seen as for Jack Ross. If he's sitting in the house for a couple of seasons then perhaps he would move down but not currently.

30 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I'd take a manager capable at performing at that level.

When you step back there's probably not a whole lot in standard in play between the bottom half or third of the Premier and the Championship generally on the park. I watched the Livi Hibs game last night and a guy like Forrest did not look out of place one bit. A product from our very own academy remember.

The main difference is in the budget available to spend and potentially the facilities and number of staff for off the field roles.

As a club looking for a permanent manager there'd be no harm in David Smith making a short telephone call but in reality that's all it would end up being.

It's human nature to not want to be seen to be making a backwards step career wise, that's what a move to the Championship would be seen as for Jack Ross. If he's sitting in the house for a couple of seasons then perhaps he would move down but not currently.

I would actually argue this season that the  Championship is split between one half that aren't a mile off the lower Premiership sides and one half that aren't a mile off the top of league 1. Just need to look at QotS being scudded the other night with what looked like a close to full strength team. 

2 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

are you suggesting they were on 5 grand a week?

away down to tesco and get some new grapes,they ones are sour 

When you have a squad of 20, then go out and sign another 10 better players….that equals a fortune. Even at a grand a week or £500 a week for a championship club.

25 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

I would actually argue this season that the  Championship is split between one half that aren't a mile off the lower Premiership sides and one half that aren't a mile off the top of league 1. Just need to look at QotS being scudded the other night with what looked like a close to full strength team. 

You're probably right but either way I doubt Jack Ross is taking over anytime soon.

7 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

henry,you sound like ian mccoll the year of our great escape 😂 can you remind me how many points ayr and raith were in front of us that season?

🧮

You bought your way out of it, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about anyone mentioning it though. 

I always find it strange when fans of clubs who have a wee bit more money to spend get very defensive about their club having a wee bit more money to spend. An odd delusion. I'm not sure what the problem is with admitting it.

Aye, they had the money to chuck their rotten players and bring in a new squad. Clubs like Ayr didn't have that liberty. In all honesty for Rovers, it was mostly all our own doing for relegation. Started with appointing Locke, then loaning Vaughan to Dumbarton. We even had some ridiculous decisions like Queen of the South being given a ghost goal. Worked out all good for us in the end.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Aye, they had the money to chuck their rotten players and bring in a new squad. Clubs like Ayr didn't have that liberty. In all honesty for Rovers, it was mostly all our own doing for relegation. Started with appointing Locke, then loaning Vaughan to Dumbarton. We even had some ridiculous decisions like Queen of the South being given a ghost goal. Worked out all good for us in the end.

ian mccall was a shambles that season 😂

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Kevin Rutkiewicz resigns as the boss of Stirling Albion. It's not just us currently looking for a new manager but a young up and coming manager doesn't usually walk out on his job without having something else lined up.

Hardly surprising when they've lost 5 in a row however there appears to have been a fallout behind the scenes regarding expectations

Would still not want us to go for him

25 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

That wasnt the reason he's left though (as you say). You look at the McBookie list for the Morton and Falkirk jobs, it's a mixed bag that's out there!!

A source outlet on twitter has said he's not left to go to Morton so he obviously doesn't have something lined up imminently. 

Still think if we lose tomorrow night there's a very high probability Duffy will be away by the end of the weekend, especially if other results on Saturday go against us.

18 minutes ago, rb123! said:

A source outlet on twitter has said he's not left to go to Morton so he obviously doesn't have something lined up imminently. 

Still think if we lose tomorrow night there's a very high probability Duffy will be away by the end of the weekend, especially if other results on Saturday go against us.

I really can’t see Smith pulling the trigger on Duffy sadly.