The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I'm sorry but I cannot agree. This is revisionism.

The 2018/19 team was built on the 2017/18 team. Likewise the 2019/20 team was built on the remains of the 2018/19 team (the 2019/20 team started the league on fire playing some of the best football I've seen us play).

The issue was that we lost our management team and made some dreadful appointments. Under McCall and Stewart 2018/19 wouldn't have been a flash in the pan. We may not have been able to exceed it and that was what ultimately led to McCall leaving. However, we weren't the rudderless wreck you paint now. You do a disservice to the club then in favour of now. There is no balance with you, its all one way traffic.

We've undoubtedly improved off the field and are more professional off of it as well with Smith, Mathie and Glendinning. The hub and the new north stand are phenomenal achievements. That said, If I hear once more about the 'plan' I may well implode. Every club has a plan its not novel or new (even for us - there has always been a plan), it would be a dereliction of duty not to have one.

I'd argue on the field we have gone backwards, we have no discernable style of play and we have a phenomenal player propping up the team with some average players on multi year deals (the risk of signing players up or they leave for nothing)

Your I'm a better fan than you shtick is tiring as well. You aren't a better fan than anyone else on this thread just because you are optimistic. Anyone who remains optimistic for this season having watched us these last 5 months has a screw loose in my view.

I've always enjoyed reading about people being 'frustrated' with other fans for not just enjoying any old shite that gets served up as long as it's black and white.  

10 hours ago, Young Eddie said:

Next Saturday Inverness and Falkirk will take the field in the Scottish Cup semi final at Hampden.

The contrast between ICT and Ayr is worth highlighting. ICT were outplayed at home in the cup by Queens Park but got a remarkable reprieve through a technicality and a passage into the next round. Boy, did they grab that opportunity with both hands and fair play to them for doing so 👏. Ayr United, on the other hand,  got a remarkable reprieve in the form of the easiest Scottish cup draw of all time and still managed to stuff it up.

Like a few posters earlier on I've been supporting Ayr for many years and will continue to do so. It's just that this season has somehow just depressed me in a way that few others have. The Falkirk game just being the icing on the cake.

I would say Ayr have more in common with ICT tbh. Their season has been influenced by injuries and at one point mid season had a team out. Once they have got numbers back then the results picked up. Ayr did very well in the earlier part of the season being able to play a settled team. This took a dip when players like Chalmers, Kirk and Murdoch weren't available for selection.  We don't have the depth to compete over the whole season 

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

I've always enjoyed reading about people being 'frustrated' with other fans for not just enjoying any old shite that gets served up as long as it's black and white.  

You’ll watch us finish 5th and fucking like it. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’ll watch us finish 5th and fucking like it. 

I'd have taken 5th before a ball was kicked tbh. For a club who narrowly avoided the relegation play-offs in the two previous seasons, 5th is not too shabby.

However, to have looked like title challengers and to have had a very favourable looking cup run only to make an arse of both is very annoying. I think anyone would be annoyed and frustrated by that regardless of pre-season expectations. The opportunity to make this a really special season was within our grasp,  but that has been thrown away.

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Are we 100% Bullen will be here next season, as in he's homesick. There hasn't been any chat from him about next season that I've heard. Not that that's unusual but thought we might have got a snippet from him about it 

It's difficult one the club is in much better place than when he started. Top half finish would be seen as good seen but clearly disappointing if we don't make the play offs.  On paper he has done a good job and decent first job to put on the CV. If his medium to long term plan is to get job nearer to where his family stay his CV looks decent after this season.  The championship will be much stronger next season though and expectations of supporters are higher now and say he stays on and leaves October time with us at lower end of the table could be harder for his perspective to get job near his family.  I think he and club need to have clear conversation on this. Either shake hands  go separate ways and give each other glowing reference or continue but need to give him a contract beyond next summer to show his commitment is matched by the club. 

50 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I'd have taken 5th before a ball was kicked tbh. For a club who narrowly avoided the relegation play-offs in the two previous seasons, 5th is not too shabby.

However, to have looked like title challengers and to have had a very favourable looking cup run only to make an arse of both is very annoying. I think anyone would be annoyed and frustrated by that regardless of pre-season expectations. The opportunity to make this a really special season was within our grasp,  but that has been thrown away

We are two wins from the play off , are we supposed to be scared of Raith and Inverness ? Not a chance . Never out the fight .

54 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Two wins, Morton and Dundee beat Queens Park, Partick draw with Arbroath and second place it is… 😂

I just do not see a win coming against Inverness. Raith should be straightforward enough as they have nothing to play for now but it’s not a given. 

2 minutes ago, grazza said:

It's difficult one the club is in much better place than when he started. Top half finish would be seen as good seen but clearly disappointing if we don't make the play offs.  On paper he has done a good job and decent first job to put on the CV. If his medium to long term plan is to get job nearer to where his family stay his CV looks decent after this season.  The championship will be much stronger next season though and expectations of supporters are higher now and say he stays on and leaves October time with us at lower end of the table could be harder for his perspective to get job near his family.  I think he and club need to have clear conversation on this. Either shake hands  go separate ways and give each other glowing reference or continue but need to give him a contract beyond next summer to show his commitment is matched by the club

Bullen will leave when Bullen wants to leave . Nobody is in with  the bricks but Lee Bullen is pretty close to that . His work has just begun ...

Falkirk was sore but not as sore as Auchinleck.  We should have obliterated Falkirk on the nightwith the chances we had but didn't.  Anyway Falkirk are a proper club and beating them on their own patch will never be a gimme... its in the past now along with our league one antics and our near relegation to LEAGUE TWO . Looking to the future now starting with Raith Rovers on Saturday in another cup final . 

2 minutes ago, North British 2 said:

Bullen will leave when Bullen wants to leave . Nobody is in with  the bricks but Lee Bullen is pretty close to that . His work has just begun ...

Falkirk was sore but not as sore as Auchinleck.  We should have obliterated Falkirk on the nightwith the chances we had but didn't.  Anyway Falkirk are a proper club and beating them on their own patch will never be a gimme... its in the past now along with our league one antics and our near relegation to LEAGUE TWO . Looking to the future now starting with Raith Rovers on Saturday in another cup final . 

Falkirk was 1000x more annoying and painful than Talbot. Talbot game was embarrassing but it was helped by the fact we went and beat Dundee Utd the following week. 

The hangover from the Falkirk game still hasn’t worn off for the majority of the support and will always been looked back on as a massive chance blown. 

As for Bullen it wouldn’t shock me if he left. It was never going to be a hugely long term appointment given his age and the fact his family stayed down South. He’d be good enough to go and manage a Conference team if he wanted to. 

5 minutes ago, North British 2 said:

Are we just ignoring the numerous chances that Falkirk had?

This revisionism thing of defending performances that were woeful for the most part just because we missed some chances is really tiring 

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Are we just ignoring the numerous chances that Falkirk had?

This revisionism thing of defending performances that were woeful for the most part just because we missed some chances is really tiring 

I don’t think we even created that much aside from the goal? Ashford flashed a low cross across goal that should’ve been turned in and we obviously had the penalty but we hardly dominated the game. 

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I just do not see a win coming against Inverness. Raith should be straightforward enough as they have nothing to play for now but it’s not a given. 

I completely agree, I wouldn’t even be surprised if we drew against Raith. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think we even created that much aside from the goal? Ashford flashed a low cross across goal that should’ve been turned in and we obviously had the penalty but we hardly dominated the game. 

I can remember the sitter that Dipo missed from the Ashford cut back and then it was either Ashford or McKenzie who had a header saved from close range when they should have done better.

Regardless of how many chances it was it doesn’t gloss over us being outplayed for 60 minutes.

44 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Falkirk was 1000x more annoying and painful than Talbot. Talbot game was embarrassing but it was helped by the fact we went and beat Dundee Utd the following week. 

The hangover from the Falkirk game still hasn’t worn off for the majority of the support and will always been looked back on as a massive chance blown. 

As for Bullen it wouldn’t shock me if he left. It was never going to be a hugely long term appointment given his age and the fact his family stayed down South. He’d be good enough to go and manage a Conference team if he wanted to. 

Talbot also wasn't a Quarter final with a purse that could have set us up nicely next season, This has been handed to two of our potential competitors next season. 

4 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Are we 100% Bullen will be here next season, as in he's homesick. There hasn't been any chat from him about next season that I've heard. Not that that's unusual but thought we might have got a snippet from him about it 

If there's any slight doubt we can't make the same mistake we did with McCall at May 2019, begged him to stay and he then fucked off a month into the start of the new season in September 2019.

If he isn't 100% get someone in to build their own team during the summer, my gut feeling though is regardless of what happens i'd be surprised if Bullen isn't here next season.

I personally think he'll struggle to see it out however as next season could potentially have Ross County, Inverness, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Partick and Kilmarnock who i'm all expecting to be way ahead of us as they'll blow us out the water in terms of wages for players so we'll have to take gambles on down south which as we've seen for every gem we get we seem to also get a couple of jobbers