The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Strange that this hasn't been reported until now, especially when the club put out a statement about the same thing happening at a game v Queen's Park.

As far as I am aware (I was not there) it was in the away end and dealt with at the time so unlikely it was reported to security, doubt Partick (or Ayr) would know anything about it.  

Ticket for Friday bought. Will probably be drinking in the city centre.

Dreading this, but if the team can go to billy big baws Inverness, who Don't Deserve The Indignity Of Being Stuck In The Poxy Championship For Another season and turn them over then there's no reason they can't do it again.

4 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I took it as Scotland, not Ayr United. 

There was a racist comment made at Firhill recently aimed at Dipo though so could be meaning that.  

I am sure he's been on the end of racist abuse in Scotland and England unfortunately. However, unless he's specifically mentioned it as the reason he or his partner wants to go back down south then we shouldn't assume it is. 

However, if he did say it was, he'd most likely receive more via social media because thats how these things work with some people. 

He'll know he'll have offers come July that will make him more money than we could give him, regardless of what league we were in. We were a stepping stone for that and hopefully his story will tempt other players to come and make a name for themselves.  

59 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I am sure he's been on the end of racist abuse in Scotland and England unfortunately. However, unless he's specifically mentioned it as the reason he or his partner wants to go back down south then we shouldn't assume it is. 

However, if he did say it was, he'd most likely receive more via social media because thats how these things work with some people. 

He'll know he'll have offers come July that will make him more money than we could give him, regardless of what league we were in. We were a stepping stone for that and hopefully his story will tempt other players to come and make a name for themselves.  

Yes, I'm sure the club is marketing itself to guys like Dipo on the basis that we won't stand in their way (assuming a fair offer comes in) and that we're basically using one another for the benefit of both parties. For the player it's a chance to showcase their talent on a platform with decent coverage and for us we have the chance to net a decent transfer fee (as well as getting the benefit of the player for a season) so if the player performs we all end up winning and presumably that model will help us attract similar talent in the future.

In the case of Dipo specifically, I think we would all agree that it soon became apparent that the guy was performing at a level way above this league and as such we should really just be happy that we had him for a full season and gaining a decent fee for him is a major bonus (and a great piece of business by the club).

If he does go (and I'm pretty certain he will) then I'm sure we'd wish him all the best as the guy has been nothing but class (both on and off the pitch) and a model professional in his time with us.

No offence to anyone, but people who move out of London typically do so either because it's too high-pressure or it's too expensive. You get the odd weirdo who likes things like clear air and water but they're outliers. Nobody is moving to Ayr for the two or three shops in the high street with pun-based titles that haven't gone bust yet.

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

No offence to anyone, but people who move out of London typically do so either because it's too high-pressure or it's too expensive. You get the odd weirdo who likes things like clear air and water but they're outliers. Nobody is moving to Ayr for the two or three shops in the high street with pun-based titles that haven't gone bust yet.

We pulled him, based on Glendinnings spreadsheets out of part time football and offered him an opportunity to play and train full time at a higher level for a better wage than he was on. Some players would play in the shadow of Chernobyl if the deal was right. 

I see the council have approved the change of usage on one of the shops on the high street to allow it to be converted to flats. 

Just about every other town in Scotland with a river through it has become gentrified around that area, high end flats leading to pubs, restaurants and cafes opening. hopefully this will be the first step to making the town centre less of a shitehole. 

58 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I used to live in London. Hated it so much.

8 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I used to live in London. Hated it so much.

Same. Once the novelty wore off I realised how much the cliché about it being an expensive and unfriendly was true.  Made Edinburgh look like the friendliest place on earth after. 

3 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

Dipo didn't stay in Ayr, I think he stayed in Motherwell, so you can't blame his family for wanting to go back South.

Hamilton I think but your point still stands. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

I think it’s mostly a case of his family not being able to settle in Scotland. It’s not hard to imagine when his partner has got a baby and will want to be with her own family and friends. 

Dipo has made a smart move though. Got himself more exposure up here and will likely get a great deal in the summer to go back closer to home. 

11 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Same. Once the novelty wore off I realised how much the cliché about it being an expensive and unfriendly was true.  Made Edinburgh look like the friendliest place on earth after. 

I would happily never set foot in London again.

54 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I see the council have approved the change of usage on one of the shops on the high street to allow it to be converted to flats. 

Just about every other town in Scotland with a river through it has become gentrified around that area, high end flats leading to pubs, restaurants and cafes opening. hopefully this will be the first step to making the town centre less of a shitehole. 

The tories fought tooth and nail against converting any shop usage on the high street into food use for thirty years. There is absolutely no chance of that changing now.

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

The tories fought tooth and nail against converting any shop usage on the high street into food use for thirty years. There is absolutely no chance of that changing now.

Given its a wasteland of empty units, some of which have lain empty for several years, I'd imagine even the Cragie Park brigade might have to concede to change of use

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

If they manage it and limit opening hours then they are less likely to get takeaways. 

It is hard to market Ayr as a historical town, to walk the same streets as Robert Burns, when they will pass 8 empty vape shops.