The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

28 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Eh? If anything was learned last season it's that you can take a team and manager who are roughly good enough to scrape eighth and give them one (1) good player and have them finish in the playoffs.

So Chalmers contributed nothing then?

You're basically agreeing with what I've said. 

We don't need to be world beaters. On the pitch or in the dugout.

The Championship is not a dazzling standard and hasn't been for a number of seasons. The sooner people accept that we're not shopping in Waitrose the more enjoyable it'll be for everybody on here.

Edited by BukyOHare

21 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Didn't think I'd be trawling through Aldershot fan forums on my Saturday morning.

I've realised I follow an aldershot fan on twitter, I've fired him a DM. Will post what he says if he gets back to me. 

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

So Chalmers contributed nothing then?

You're basically agreeing with what I've said. 

We don't need to be world beaters. On the pitch or in the dugout.

The Championship is not a dazzling standard and hasn't been for a number of seasons. The sooner people accept that we're not shopping in Waitrose the mote enjoyable it'll be for everybody on here.

That’s a very strange argument.  Chalmers was one of the best midfielders in the division, losing him really hurt us.  Doesn’t really support your argument that a team of bang average journeymen can be moulded into a team that’s more than the sum of its parts.  

7 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

As I said yesterday he had a good 21/22 season but possibly the jump up two levels for him last season was too big so hopefully people don't write him off straightaway based on that.

Style of play in and around the box very much like Dipo dare I say.

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

That’s a very strange argument.  Chalmers was one of the best midfielders in the division, losing him really hurt us.  Doesn’t really support your argument that a team of bang average journeymen can be moulded into a team that’s more than the sum of its parts.  

You're clearly not reading what I've previously said or the context of what I'm replying to. 

But thanks anyway.

10 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I've realised I follow an aldershot fan on twitter, I've fired him a DM. Will post what he says if he gets back to me. 

Reply I got: 

Hi mate. Pendlebury was only with us a short time, but good on the whole. Difficult to fully judge him as I don’t think he reached his potential with us

Amartey is a complex one. He didn’t play as many games for us as we thought he would. Rumour has it he has a huge attitude problem and goes off the boil when he’s not getting his way. He scored goals for fun when he was at Hayes before us and when he was on loan from us at Farnborough, but they weren’t keen on keeping him permanently either

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

You're clearly not reading what I've previously said or the context of what I'm replying to. 

But thanks anyway.

“If we learned anything from last season, it's that in the sum of the parts you don't have to be a team of world beaters. You need to be functional and effective above aesthetically pleasing.”

Your words, not mine.  You seem to be arguing that we can sustain having 9 mediocre players but it’s ok so long as we can find 2 players who are miles better who can carry them.  It’s an interesting team building philosophy, particularly when, as you say, we are not shopping for players in Waitrose.  I think most people would like to see s bit more quality and experience spread throughout the team. 

Like all these signings from leagues i know little about  time will tell how good they are. They do come with an extra element of risk though as to whether or not they will settle in south west Scotland.  At least the one year deal covers us a bit on that side of things

5 minutes ago, OneTeamInAyrsh1re said:

Is it just me or are the signings we have made so far (Murphy aside) been on the cheap, a free agent and a player from non league, both of whom are about 21 years old?

No other people will likely agree with you despite the fact there is zero evidence for it. 

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

“If we learned anything from last season, it's that in the sum of the parts you don't have to be a team of world beaters. You need to be functional and effective above aesthetically pleasing.”

Your words, not mine.  You seem to be arguing that we can sustain having 9 mediocre players but it’s ok so long as we can find 2 players who are miles better who can carry them.  It’s an interesting team building philosophy, particularly when, as you say, we are not shopping for players in Waitrose.  I think most people would like to see s bit more quality and experience spread throughout the team. 

Glad to see you've finally read what I've posted rather than just lazily calling folk out. At the level we are playing at and with the budget we have it's very difficult if not impossible to spread quality and experience through the team. How do you propose paying for this spread of quality? Genuinely interested to hear it.

Do you think we're not looking to max out our playing budget every window or do you think we're cutting corners? 

Have a look at all of our peers and there'll be more of their base level players in the team sprinkled with a couple of above average players.

Now the budget you have to start with dictates the quality of your average to begin with, I accept that, but largely at most levels of the game you won't go far wrong with one or two standouts above the rest of your team.

It isn't Football Manager.

7 minutes ago, OneTeamInAyrsh1re said:

Is it just me or are the signings we have made so far (Murphy aside) been on the cheap, a free agent and a player from non league, both of whom are about 21 years old?

While people will have opinions on individual signings, the fairest thing to do is to look at the overall squad they put together once it's complete.

10 minutes ago, OneTeamInAyrsh1re said:

They’ll be paying to put them up in accommodation until they find a place of their own. It won’t be cheap.

12 minutes ago, OneTeamInAyrsh1re said:

To coin another poster. We're shopping in Lidl not Waitrose.

Last year we found Dipo in the middle ailse. Let's see what we can find this year.

Edited by Trogdor

6 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Glad to see you've finally read what I've posted rather than just lazily calling folk out. At the level we are playing at and with the budget we have it's very difficult if not impossible to spread quality and experience through the team. How do you propose paying for this spread of quality? Genuinely interested to hear it.

Do you think we're not looking to max out our playing budget every window or do you think we're cutting corners? 

Have a look at all of our peers and there'll be more of their base level players in the team sprinkled with a couple of above average players.

Now the budget you have to start with dictates the quality of your average to begin with, I accept that, but largely at most levels of the game you won't go far wrong with one or two standouts above the rest of your team.

It isn't Football Manager.

Word salad.

17 minutes ago, OneTeamInAyrsh1re said:

Mutch- Brought in as a replacement for McAdams, McAdams would have been on a first choice goalkeepers wage as that's what he was when he signed. No point having two keepers on first choice wages so we're probably saving money there. Mutch played every week for Edinburgh last year in a team who almost made the playoffs so clearly not a dud. Good piece of business imo . 

Stanger- Done really well at league 1 level and will want to make the step back up to FT football. Will initially be back up to McGinty/Musonda but with Musonda injury record and AFCON duty he'll likely see a good bit of game time. Another good piece of business

Murphy- I initially compared him to Chris Maguire which given St Johnstone fans opinions I've realised was probably unfair. Had a very good career both up here and down south and can hopefully add something. 

Pendlebury- I'd imagine he's a bit of an unknown to most if not all fans. From v limited research he seems to have shown a lot of promise when he was younger even getting capped for England but seems to have fell away a wee bit? Hopefully can come up here with a point to prove and get his career back on track.

Amartey- Similar to Pendlebury a complete unknown.