The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes pretty much only played as a central player for us since the start of 20/21.

As part of a CM 3. One sat, one went box to box, then Wotherspoon was the attacking one who drifted onto the left flank to link with the wing back and try to create.

Pace isnt a plus with him, though, and i wouldn't want my two wingers being him and Murphy unless your wing backs are capable of bombing past them and creating. 

Our full backs absolutely don’t do that, so wouldn’t want him as a wide player at all. Playing centrally he would be perfect for us, if we recruit some more pace out wide IMO. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

On the left it would be Paddy Reading so if we had Murphy on the left then Wotherspoon drifting out to support it would maybe be quite handy for him to have two experienced players alongside him. If he did sign it would be in that central role you talk about but in a 433 or maybe he’d playing off a striker in a 4231.

If we can remove Paddy Reading, have a flying full back going past Murphy and have that link up with Wotherspoon too that would be ideal. Then just add a wide player with pace and a good striker and we are sorted. 

Fully aware that likely none of those things will happen!

32 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

On the left it would be Paddy Reading so if we had Murphy on the left then Wotherspoon drifting out to support it would maybe be quite handy for him to have two experienced players alongside him. If he did sign it would be in that central role you talk about but in a 433 or maybe he’d playing off a striker in a 4231.

Its an odd thing but i dont think we played Wotherspoon and Murphy together, but they both kind of like playing quick 1-2 passes so it could work well.

30 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Was listening to Cosgrove on OTB last week and he seemed pretty convinced that he would be going over to Canada to play. 

He spoke a couple of years ago about that being his ideal scenario, and how he'd already researched Canadian football, but i think it was more a dream for a final season than anything concrete.

He said a month ago he'd already had multiple offers but think/guess he was waiting until he'd come back from the Gold Cup to properly discuss it with his family etc.

FWIW

spoon.thumb.png.d635bfb99893d714b070995b354dc24f.png

Struggled when playing for us last season, really, but still a hard worker off the ball. Manager seems to want CMs who'll run like dogs all day, and wingers who are quick for transitions, and thats not his game at all, so that plus struggling to contribute led to the decision he could leave.

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

What experienced pros are out there and actually available? I guess it depends what positions he wants to strengthen but I can’t see it being a defender as he already has McGinty and McAllister in there as his “shouters”. Can see it being a midfielder or a striker but I’m at a loss as to who’s out there and available. 

I think an experienced centre forward will be priority no 1 . 

12 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

So it seems that we put all our eggs into the Ruari Paton basket as our replacement for Dipo and now we're in a spot of bother since he chose Queens Park over us?

I have a feeling that he may struggle to begin with but would come good in the end. Gutted we missed out on him he’d help replace some of dipos goals 

24 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

So it seems that we put all our eggs into the Ruari Paton basket as our replacement for Dipo and now we're in a spot of bother since he chose Queens Park over us?

Not unlike the Nikolay Todorov situation then. Understandable that the club would look to expand beyond the very shallow goldfish bowl that is the Scottish second tier in those circumstances. At the same time, if the issue was wages then ultimately the buck lies with the board in spending the money elsewhere.

We're apparently interested in Josh Fowler from Beith Juniors.

Before you all go mental at the level he's from he seems to be the real deal. Has spent time with Motherwell recently during pre season, goal ratio is something like 50 goals in the last 2 years

3 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

We're apparently interested in Josh Fowler from Beith Juniors.

Before you all go mental at the level he's from he seems to be the real deal. Has spent time with Motherwell recently during pre season, goal ratio is something like 50 goals in the last 2 years

I’d be fine with that. He’s scored a fair few goals so I’m happy with us having a look. I did wonder if we’d enquired at the same time as the likes of Motherwell but they were a better prospect for him at the time. 

Where you reading this anyway? 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d be fine with that. He’s scored a fair few goals so I’m happy with us having a look. I did wonder if we’d enquired at the same time as the likes of Motherwell but they were a better prospect for him at the time. 

D3A760CE-5B62-4C81-88BF-C90333A5D9E9.png

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Pinch of salt then. I think it would be a bit silly of the club not to take notice and have a look but I’d feel a lot better about him potentially signing if we already had an established striker in the squad. 

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Yeah from that post, seems legit as it isn't one of the usual suspect morons on these pages that sprout nonsense. 

Only slight thing for me is he's 19 so similar stage to Bryden?