The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

20 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I guess the argument to that would be better players = better league position, better cup runs, better crowds and more prize money for the following season. 

If we don’t add a top end championship level striker we’ll be getting relegated. We might avoid a relegation battle if we only brought in two of that quality. 

There's definitely money to add to the squad before the Dipo transfer fee comes in to effect as we are light a right back, two wingers and two strikers from last season's squad.  We could not even spend it and come out well placed. 

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

There's definitely money to add to the squad before the Dipo transfer fee comes in to effect as we are light a right back, two wingers and two strikers from last season's squad.  We could not even spend it and come out well placed. 

Absolutely, if we recruit well as opposed to allegedly spending loads on shite like Maguire. 

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Who do you have in mind?

Aye, wait and I’ll tap into my contacts and data model. 

Edited by No_Problemo

27 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:
32 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Say we use it to get a bunch of guys we couldn't normally afford. 

What happens next season when we once again can't afford them?

I guess the argument to that would be better players = better league position, better cup runs, better crowds and more prize money for the following season. 

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

no idea how that ends in administration

Generally if you try and pay for things you can't typically afford. Which is what your suggestion seemed to be.

Why should we just accept having to wait around til we’re 6 or 7 games into our season before we have a full squad? Players at this level aren’t sitting around waiting til the end of August before they sign for someone. If they’re a free agent they aren’t getting a wage. Most would jump at the chance to sign in June. Stop making excuses.

Just now, No_Problemo said:

No it wasn’t. 

Twice itzdrk used the quote couldn't / can't afford. Your reply to him seemed to be the speculate to accumulate, higher league position, bigger crowds (ok then), yer da type stuff.

Then when asked who you think we should go for, you basically don't know.

36 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Say we use it to get a bunch of guys we couldn't normally afford. 

What happens next season when we once again can't afford them?

250k also just isn't a large sum of money. 

£250,000 is paying 4 or 5 better quality players wages over a 2 year contract - say £2K over £1K.

That would improve key areas in your team, using the money you've already got.

You'd then hope that you could sell one of them at the end of the season, and maybe repeat the cycle. Maybe even get to a play-off for us to play you again...

Worst case scenario, you don't improve, they walk away for nowt, but at least you tried.

2 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Why should we just accept having to wait around til we’re 6 or 7 games into our season before we have a full squad? Players at this level aren’t sitting around waiting til the end of August before they sign for someone. If they’re a free agent they aren’t getting a wage. Most would jump at the chance to sign in June. Stop making excuses.

Because that's what happens when there is a window and its still open when the season starts.

Do you think the club are holding off on new signings then?

The journeymen type will jump at an offer, but I think a lot of players are quite happy to play the waiting game, probably on the say so of their agent.

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Twice itzdrk used the quote couldn't / can't afford. Your reply to him seemed to be the speculate to accumulate, higher league position, bigger crowds (ok then), yer da type stuff.

Then when asked who you think we should go for, you basically don't know.

“Couldn’t normally afford” As in before the 250000. 

I can think of several players we could potentially sign, out with a striker, but there is absolutely no point in suggesting them as we all know what your response would be. In addition to that, we literally have a paid recruitment guy - it really doesn’t matter if I can suggest players or not. And that is in fact the most “yer Da” response of all. 

I'm sure your management team have a list of players they want to sign, and with cash behind you I'm sure you can make them a decent offer.

I that case, it's a bit worrying that you're not getting anything over the line.

Genuinely want to see you make a go at things, it keeps the league interesting (and Ayr's a cracking day out for a game).

2 minutes ago, baba douche said:

I'm sure your management team have a list of players they want to sign, and with cash behind you I'm sure you can make them a decent offer.

I that case, it's a bit worrying that you're not getting anything over the line.

Genuinely want to see you make a go at things, it keeps the league interesting (and Ayr's a cracking day out for a game).

We’ve already been knocked back by three strikers that would’ve taken us from relegation candidates to playoff contenders (Paton, Graham and McKay) but given there’s a willingness to try and get a player of that standard then I’m hoping they can try and entice someone from the league above that’s maybe not a first choice. Failing that then they’ll likely go and take another Akinyemi-esc punt on someone like the boy at Beith. 

10 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Because that's what happens when there is a window and its still open when the season starts.

Do you think the club are holding off on new signings then?

The journeymen type will jump at an offer, but I think a lot of players are quite happy to play the waiting game, probably on the say so of their agent.

No I just don’t think we’ve been very good at it. You’re so intent on making excuses for people that don’t know you exist. Boys on £800 are not forfeiting 2 month wage for the sake of it.

In terms of budget, we should still have plenty to play with at the moment before even considering the money we received for Dipo.

Dipo 500 p/w, Maguire and Mullin (roughly) 1000 p/w each, McAdams would have been signed originally on a first choice keeper waged 200-400 p/w range, O’Connor 200-400 p/w guesstimate, JML the same, no idea what Kirk would have been on, Houston 150-300 p/w guesstimate. That’s around 4-5k a week down on wages would say the 5 we have in won’t be close to what the outgoing players had. I think it’s clearly a case of players not really interested in coming here (your Grahams and McKays) and not being able to identify decent enough targets to replace the good players we’ve lost. Whose fault is that you ask? Only time will tell. 

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

In terms of budget, we should still have plenty to play with at the moment before even considering the money we received for Dipo.

Dipo 500 p/w, Maguire and Mullin (roughly) 1000 p/w each, McAdams would have been signed originally on a first choice keeper waged 200-400 p/w range, O’Connor 200-400 p/w guesstimate, JML the same, no idea what Kirk would have been on, Houston 150-300 p/w guesstimate. That’s around 4-5k a week down on wages would say the 5 we have in won’t be close to what the outgoing players had. I think it’s clearly a case of players not really interested in coming here (your Grahams and McKays) and not being able to identify decent enough targets to replace the good players we’ve lost. Whose fault is that you ask? Only time will tell. 

Pretty sure as a full time player Houston would be below minimum wage at that rate. 

Just now, itzdrk said:

Pretty sure as a full time player Houston would be below minimum wage at that rate. 

That’s something I’ve never took into consideration. All down to how many “working hours” a week they would have. Are football players paid hourly?

5 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

No I just don’t think we’ve been very good at it. You’re so intent on making excuses for people that don’t know you exist. Boys on £800 are not forfeiting 2 month wage for the sake of it.

Maybe we haven't been very good I don't know and certainly I'm not making excuses for anybody but if I have a different opinion then I'm entitled to try and explain it.

I don't think for example that we'll be in for "boys on £800".

Maybe you know different.

If you take Dipo out of the equation the squad we have at the moment is on a par with what we had last season, so if we managed to get a replacement as good we would be in with a shout of a top 4 finish.

Granted we are unlikely to unearth a player as good as Dipo, so realistically to give us a chance of mid table your looking at a 10-15 goal CF another winger thats going to add a few goals, and potential an attacking midfielder that can add a few goals thats going to make the difference.

As others have said, the free agents have probably dried up now, or will be soon, we are then into the territory of loans, which most clubs are just starting to look at as they firm up their squads, and similarly clubs may be looking to free players / players asking to be freed towards the end of the window if new signings come in. 

Given the players we have been linked with it looks like we are looking at hte right calibre, I would rather we hald on and made a quality signing than panicking and signing some over the hill dross (McGuire) 

Just now, BukyOHare said:

Maybe we haven't been very good I don't know and certainly I'm not making excuses for anybody but if I have a different opinion then I'm entitled to try and explain it.

I don't think for example that we'll be in for "boys on £800".

Maybe you know different.

I know absolutely nothing.

What wage bracket are we in for then? I’d say that was quite accurate for this level.