The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

So for all intents and purposes, the season starts in August but we're not going to be ready until September.......

But how many other teams will also be in the same boat?

Stanger's red card from last season is unfortunate but the subsequent ban isn't a suitable reason not to have signed him, fair enough on Musonda not being fit, that's foreseeable but again these things can happen to any player at any time.

The positioning and timescales of the transfer window being open when the league starts also has a massive bearing on teams being seen as "unprepared.

Its unfortunate and far from ideal but I doubt it's going to impact our league season in the bigger picture.

1 hour ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I think I saw bangs today I  town  .living the dream

I can now picture him stood in the middle of the High St while people are trying to tell him how to cross the road

3 hours ago, Nelson said:

Was there not some suggestion that Hewitt was ill for the St Johnstone game?  Don’t think he featured at all.  The club really seem to rate Watret, but he still seems very young to be thrown in at championship level.

If you're good enough you're old enough. If it's a straight choice between him and Hewitt, I pick Watret every day of the week. Hewitt at right back is an experiment which hasn't worked.

Edit - I'd even play Finn at rightback ahead of Hewitt. 

Edited by Trogdor

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

If you're good enough you're old enough. If it's a straight choice between him and Hewitt, I pick Watret every day of the week. Hewitt at right back is an experiment which hasn't worked.

I probably agree with you on Ecrepont, but Watret would just be a focus of constant diagonals against a very physical Morton side. Something which we will already struggle with if we have to play McAllister at CB too. 

Any other side and our regular centre backs playing and I would possibly agree though. 

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Haven’t seen enough of Watret to really form much of an opinion, beyond the obvious that he isn’t physically ready. The hard truth is that resorting to McAllister at centre back and Hewitt or a 16 year old at right back simply confirms we are very light in that area of the park.  

In isolation from absolutely everything else, the club can't really be expected to sign another centre half just for the sake of someone having a suspension to serve on matchday 1.

That still doesn't justify not having enough cover for two missing players though. And the general lack of defensive cover is a huge and obvious point. McGinty visibly improved at the point where he got dropped, whereas everyone knows what it was like having undroppable fullbacks.

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

In isolation from absolutely everything else, the club can't really be expected to sign another centre half just for the sake of someone having a suspension to serve on matchday 1.

That still doesn't justify not having enough cover for two missing players though. And the general lack of defensive cover is a huge and obvious point. McGinty visibly improved at the point where he got dropped, whereas everyone knows what it was like having undroppable fullbacks.

Tried to run with three centre half’s last season rather than , we lost two in the third quarter , effectively killing our title challenge . What is it they say is the definition of insanity again ? 

20 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Haven’t seen enough of Watret to really form much of an opinion, beyond the obvious that he isn’t physically ready. The hard truth is that resorting to McAllister at centre back and Hewitt or a 16 year old at right back simply confirms we are very light in that area of the park.  

Remember Hewitt's natural position is in midfield too, that seems to be forgotten as well. 

Just now, BukyOHare said:

Remember Hewitt's natural position is in midfield too, that seems to be forgotten as well. 

He came through as a right back and agreed with Bullen this season that he’d be primarily playing there. 

It was Hopkin that started playing him in midfield iirc. I don’t think anyone actually knows what position he is. 

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He came through as a right back and agreed with Bullen this season that he’d be primarily playing there. 

It was Hopkin that started playing him in midfield iirc. I don’t think anyone actually knows what position he is. 

Ive always thought of him as a central midfield player, especially when he first broke through.

He's the kind of player that's probably just happy to play anywhere, he was up front for Peterhead at one point last season, as poor as they were granted.

5 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Hewitt was a RB in the academy and on loan at Kilwinning and Annan. Don't think he's necessarily a starter for us but also unsure if he's being written off based on the Partick game alone or something else.

Just now, Nelson said:

Ecrepont was ripped apart by Thistle as well!

Tbf Thistle had the best wingers in the league last season so to have two games last year without a recognised RB against the same opponent was probably the worst two games of the season for it to happen!

I think it’s fair to say we don’t have any right backs good enough to play consistently in the Championship right now. Watret is probably our best bet but he needs to be managed correctly and I’m not keen on just chucking him in. 

No idea what the state of play is with right backs or who’s even out there that could do a job. 

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Ecrepont was ripped apart by Thistle as well!

Tbf, Hewitt was on another level in that first leg of the playoffs. I was amazed when he came back out for the second half. I'm pretty sure he was discombobulated throughout. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think it’s fair to say we don’t have any right backs good enough to play consistently in the Championship right now. Watret is probably our best bet but he needs to be managed correctly and I’m not keen on just chucking him in. 

No idea what the state of play is with right backs or who’s even out there that could do a job. 

Same goes for left back. We've known about the fullback issue since the start of the summer and the club still haven't addressed it which is a shame as the rest of our business seems really promising.