The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

19 minutes ago, Iain said:

If signing Chalmers meant Amartey sitting on the bench for the first 75 minutes each week I'm not sure if I'd love it anyway.

In a 4-2-3-1
Amartey Murphy Chalmers

Bryden/McKenzie/Rose/Ashford

with McGeady and Tomlinson playing sporadically.

Just now, AUFC 1910 said:

We were weak at corners, set pieces and being exposed on the flanks - get the defensive side of things sorted and we can do something this season

We look like we aim to keep the ball this season rather than use it like a game of pass the parcel so hopefully the defence isn’t as busy this year. 

Even against a dreadful Alloa team, they kept the ball from us on one or two occasions and we chased shadows like last season, it will be interesting how we will do in the league and how much of a problem that could be

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

We look like we aim to keep the ball this season rather than use it like a game of pass the parcel so hopefully the defence isn’t as busy this year. 

Even against a dreadful Alloa team, they kept the ball from us on one or two occasions and we chased shadows like last season, it will be interesting how we will do in the league and how much of a problem that could be

I hope the hoofball of last season is consigned to the bin now. We have some good players and playing hoofball all the time would be wasting that IMO.

20 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

In a 4-2-3-1
Amartey Murphy Chalmers

Bryden/McKenzie/Rose/Ashford

with McGeady and Tomlinson playing sporadically.

That's great in theory, but I'm not sure that's what Bullen would do!

Mulgrew has departed Dundee United this morning.

The Mulgrew signing sweepstake starts now! 

does he have the legs for the Championship? is a move to Cove on the cards?

Has the panda broken the story already? Is the panda Stevo’s gran?

Edited by diegomarahenry

33 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Think Charlie is away to Thistle. 

I wouldn’t say no to another signing today. 

That will be funny, if only to see the reaction of our mischief making friend from earlier.....

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

In all fairness we absolutely destroyed Alloa....who on paper shouldn't be as bad as they are....

Every Team is going to get some sort of possession against us....I don't see you point here caller....

Mulgrew doesn’t make much sense for Ayr.  He can’t play left back anymore and we already have 3 centre backs.  A 4th would be desirable, particularly given Musonda’s track record of missing games, but Mulgrew would surely be a very expensive back up option.

6 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Mulgrew doesn’t make much sense for Ayr.  He can’t play left back anymore and we already have 3 centre backs.  A 4th would be desirable, particularly given Musonda’s track record of missing games, but Mulgrew would surely be a very expensive back up option.

By all accounts we are going to try and play more “football” this year rather than a big hoof up to Dipo and hope for the best. As much as McGinty has turned a corner I don’t think he is good playing out from the back. Mulgrew if he signed, would be better with the ball at his feet than McGinty.

12 minutes ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

In all fairness we absolutely destroyed Alloa....who on paper shouldn't be as bad as they are....

Every Team is going to get some sort of possession against us....I don't see you point here caller....

There was a period after we scored where it looked like we decided, job done and let Alloa come at us and all we could do was punt it long, we could barely get the ball back and better teams would have exploited that. 
the one change was Murphy who slowed the game down at that point and we took control of the game again.

Opposition teams will exploit this, the full backs and McGinty not being Maldini when it comes to playing out from the back. it’ll be all about how we handle this and how we can develop to counteract it.

7 minutes ago, Andy_AUFC said:

By all accounts we are going to try and play more “football” this year rather than a big hoof up to Dipo and hope for the best. As much as McGinty has turned a corner I don’t think he is good playing out from the back. Mulgrew if he signed, would be better with the ball at his feet than McGinty.

I saw him a couple of times last year. He really isn't any more.

16 minutes ago, Nelson said:

He’s the ideal type of player to play as sweeper either in front of or behind the defence where his pace won’t matter. But a sweeper is either a luxury or a necessity and I don’t think it’s something we need to do.