The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, AnonGuy7991 said:

Without the obvious of not disclosing figures on a public forum, do you really think these guys are on anything more than a low couple of hundred quid a week, win bonuses and shared accommodation?

Is 200 quid a week even minimum wage?

11 minutes ago, AnonGuy7991 said:

Without the obvious of not disclosing figures on a public forum, do you really think these guys are on anything more than a low couple of hundred quid a week, win bonuses and shared accommodation?

Yes, 100%

The only team in this league paying as little as a couple hundred quid a week will be Arbroath I’d imagine. Do you really think someone would up sticks and move to Scotland for £200 a week? 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yes, 100%

The only team in this league paying as little as a couple hundred quid a week will be Arbroath I’d imagine. Do you really think someone would up sticks and move to Scotland for £200 a week? 

Perhaps our interpretation of low couple of hundred lost in translation. Apologies if so! I would be doubling that figure and it would be more accurate.

Big fan of a guy with the username Anonguy7991 who has only recently created his account claiming to know the ins and outs of what the club are paying in wages. They're either a simpleton or involved with the club and intentionally leaking confidential information. 

I’m not saying anything that isn’t common knowledge across the Scottish Championship whatsoever. Everyone here can guess ball park wages throughout the league and the high / low ranges. 

My point is wages in England will be significantly higher and I’m saying most English players coming up here will almost definitely be taking a cut unless they’re coming from a part time team. 

43 minutes ago, AnonGuy7991 said:

Would second this. McGeady’s biggest carrot for signing for us was the opportunity off the pitch, not on the pitch. 

Additionally, it has to be said free agents at this stage in the window are free agents for a reason - they’re unwanted or have very unrealistic wage demands. Would be cautious at throwing £££ at more Chris Maguire type signings..

Literally no one has said otherwise about McGeady. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Not really, they are data lead signings - with the right input they shouldn’t be a lucky dip. 

It absolutely isn’t a last resort either - a lot of these guys are playing part time and come here to showcase themselves. 

Alongside data throw in character , living  hundreds of miles from home  , style of scottish game and prior experience. If the data were being used to bring players from Edinburgh City or Montrose you might have a point. A lot of other things need to go right alongside numbers  for these signings to work out. Our previous dealings from this market suggest an element of luck involved 

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

The world in which we don’t have an outstanding centre forward to carry an otherwise mediocre team.   I’m really not sure if the lack of shape and direction on the park is a product of a scattergun recruitment strategy or the lack of direction on the park from Bullen means we don’t really know what we’re trying to recruit.  

We’ve played 2 league games FFS.

At this point lst season, we’d been pumped out the league cup group stages, Dipo looked like he couldn’t hit a barn door and we were mourning the loss of Tomi as if he was the messiah.

We played some inept, turgid football until the signings of Mullin and Chalmers shone some light.

Im not saying everything is perfect but it is far too early to be writing the season off as a disaster and stating the model is a failure and the club overloaded because we’ve dared to appoint a sports scientist.

Edited by Hazbart

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Yeah but we should've been 5th, yeah but we had a generational striker, yeah but we were a lucky team in a poor league.

I know eh, geez peace. We finished 2nd and not 5th because a season is 36 games and matches last 90 minutes. 

It's good that the club have modernised and have a backroom staff looking into all these things. There is a danger they overdo it for a club our size and that it isn't being utilised for any great benefit.It's the kinda thing I could have seen Kerr embracing and using well, I'm not sure about Bullen. Although he does seem a bit more open to that kind of stuff than a McCall/Hopkin/Duffy.

10 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Alongside data throw in character , living  hundreds of miles from home  , style of scottish game and prior experience. If the data were being used to bring players from Edinburgh City or Montrose you might have a point. A lot of other things need to go right alongside numbers  for these signings to work out. Our previous dealings from this market suggest an element of luck involved 

An element of luck isn’t the same as a lucky dip FFS. 

13 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

It's the same for every single professional (or non-pro) sporting team in the world who is using every lever they can to try and gain an advantage. 

8 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

It's good that the club have modernised and have a backroom staff looking into all these things. There is a danger they overdo it for a club our size and that it isn't being utilised for any great benefit.It's the kinda thing I could have seen Kerr embracing and using well, I'm not sure about Bullen. Although he does seem a bit more open to that kind of stuff than a McCall/Hopkin/Duffy.

Bullen worked at Sheffield Wednesday for years so will be used to working with data analysts and sports scientists. He’s a bit of a throwback to old school managers in that he’s quite conservative and seems to value hard work more than outright individual ability but I think he’ll recognise the importance of having other professionals there to offer their own insight. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

It's the same for every single professional (or non-pro) sporting team in the world who is using every lever they can to try and gain an advantage. 

Teams will have different results from it though. I imagine those clubs in a desirable location and who shop in different markets might generate a good bit of business from it  

50 minutes ago, AnonGuy7991 said:

I’m not saying anything that isn’t common knowledge across the Scottish Championship whatsoever. Everyone here can guess ball park wages throughout the league and the high / low ranges. 

My point is wages in England will be significantly higher and I’m saying most English players coming up here will almost definitely be taking a cut unless they’re coming from a part time team. 

Distances aside I don't see how this is much different to all domestic players who feel taking a "step down" to move forward again is proactive for them. Ayr were an excellent showcase for this a few years back and, clearly with Dipo moving on this summer, are now being rewarded for that. It's nothing new for a club to position themselves as a 'shop window', especially in Scotland. Also, the sheer volume of clubs in the greater London/south east area would make your eyes bleed, it's no wonder players get lost in the pack. 

Tomi Adeloye was a lucky dip. Hopkin didn’t have access to the same scouting and therefore was relying on what he’d seen of him in training and through speaking to other coaches. At the end of the day thought he was a compete roll of the dice that could’ve gone either way. 

Dipo Akinyemi was someone where we needed a bit of luck in the respect that he settled up here and his head was in the right place. The club had done all the groundwork on him and Glendinning was a huge fan. The club would’ve known exactly what he could give us but needed a bit of luck in terms of how he settled in. 

That’s the difference between actively scouting players and hoping they can do it up here which I’d imagine goes for all of the signings we make compared to acting out of desperation and getting a body in for the sake of it which some people seems absolutely convinced is what we’re doing. 

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Although he does seem a bit more open to that kind of stuff than a McCall/Hopkin/Duffy.

Never link Uncle Ian with the ginger windbag and the catastrophically bald cliche man. Those two chancers are in a bracket all of their own!

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Fair point but how's this for a thought...maybe DS doesn't want to be a club this size and has ambitions to be bigger... I remember when a 6000+ crowd at home games was the norm and the only way to encourage fans back is to make the experience better than current...