The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Got a bit of cash for Daire. Money available for January. Made offers to fullbacks early on but it seems they shifted to signing other players because the opportunity presented itself when they weren't expecting it. Was asked specifically about signing another striker but he didn't answer it

18 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Can’t be fucked watching. Someone give me a run down when they get the chance. 

Basically he thinks Lee Bullen is still the man for the job and he can turn it around - thinks the fullback are completely fine, probably sign 1 or 2 more players this summer. He commented on the style of play and basically said that not every team can play open expansive football. Didn’t really get an answer on the age profile of the team, he said that we have signed experienced champ players and it’s a balanced squad??

7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Got a bit of cash for Daire. Money available for January. Made offers to fullbacks early on but it seems they shifted to signing other players because the opportunity presented itself when they weren't expecting it. Was asked specifically about signing another striker but he didn't answer it

Yeah - reading into what he said around it, I’m thinking no striker… 

We are utterly fucked. 

4 minutes ago, AUFC19100 said:

Basically he thinks Lee Bullen is still the man for the job and he can turn it around - thinks the fullback are completely fine, probably sign 1 or 2 more players this summer. He commented on the style of play and basically said that not every team can play open expansive football. Didn’t really get an answer on the age profile of the team, he said that we have signed experienced champ players and it’s a balanced squad??

He can’t come out and really comment on the full backs honestly as there’s a fair chance we have to rely on them this season. We all know that Bullen wasn’t happy with the options last season and for whatever reason we haven’t improved that at all. The only conclusion I can draw is we were rejected by our targets and then had to sign three midfielders which has stopped any chance of a full back coming in unless Lewis Strapp gets desperate. 

Couple more coming in would be welcome but I doubt they’ll be what we need. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

He can’t come out and really comment on the full backs honestly as there’s a fair chance we have to rely on them this season. We all know that Bullen wasn’t happy with the options last season and for whatever reason we haven’t improved that at all. The only conclusion I can draw is we were rejected by our targets and then had to sign three midfielders which has stopped any chance of a full back coming in unless Lewis Strapp gets desperate. 

Couple more coming in would be welcome but I doubt they’ll be what we need. 

Yeh he said that we were looking early on in the window for fullbacks but they performed well in the cup and due to the injuries to Ben and Murdoch, we had to focus the budget there. 

If there’s another 1/2 coming in then I’d be amazed if a striker isn’t one. Loads of wingers and even midfielders now. Centre back probably where we’re lacking other than a striker. We are lacking a forward thinking midfielder, we’ve signed Young/Syla/Senga who are all much of the same which reeks of desperation. 

Long story short, we struggle to attract experienced championship players for a variety of reasons including money which pushes us towards a higher risk strategy of signing players from other levels.  The domestic talent pool that is in our price range is too competitive.  It was a strategy that mostly worked last season.  The jury’s out for this season, which is probably fair up to a point.  The fact remains that we’ve ended up with Bryden, McKenzie and Rose as our striker options - we knew Bryden isn’t ready and we knew that McKenzie isn’t good enough.  That’s putting a hell of a lot of pressure on Rose to be a 10-15 goal a season striker.  

He didn’t directly answer the question about signing a forward, but it sounded like a no to me.

40 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Can’t be fucked watching. Someone give me a run down when they get the chance. 

Everything is great.  

Edit: I actually rated the interview, there was a bit more frankness than his usual interviews and while I don't share some of his views he was giving his own honest opinion without corporately waffling.  

Edited by itzdrk

Thought his criteria for signing scottish players was decent but it hasn't exactly turned out that way. Reading between the lines we must have approached loads but nobody really wanted to sign. McGeady and Murphy probably the closest but the fitness and injury questions mean they aren't guaranteed weekly.

Poor league performance doesn't seem a worry yet as league cup qualification was seen as a result particularly after last seasons flop.

Whilst i do agree with him around changes being made too quickly and backing your staff i'm not sure how that will play out here. This squad ain't good enough and if he hasn't noticed that yet it will become very apparent over the coming games. The drop in revenue and mood of the fans will force him into a corner. 

Just now, UpInTheAyr said:

He mentioned McGeady and that he'll talk about him later and then never did. they are def going to try and weather this storm, a big part of that being about the newness of the squad and them gelling together.

They might end up playing better - but I cannot see this team finishing higher than 6th