The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I think you are being generous with fifteen minutes - I was starting to wonder if he was ever coming back on! 

He played yesterday and with his favourite numbers  being 7  and 9 he only wanted to play the first 7 minutes and the last 9 minutes , and I believe that’s what he played 

Just now, Finlay21 said:

He played yesterday and with his favourite numbers  being 7  and 9 he only wanted to play the first 7 minutes and the last 9 minutes , and I believe that’s what he played 

Yeah, I assumed he would just have been fucked with playing yesterday. Maybe not so generous with the fifteen minutes @Shibuya

It was nice that one of his only touches was a bit of a throwback. Just a shame Dowds couldn’t finish it!

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah, I assumed he would just have been fucked with playing yesterday. Maybe not so generous with the fifteen minutes @Shibuya

It was nice that one of his only touches was a bit of a throwback. Just a shame Dowds couldn’t finish it!

This sounds harsh, but if the main man isnt the main show, why is anyone complaining about the attendance? It ended up being a training game. How many minutes did Moff play against his boyhood team?

The Dam Park aspect was more in line with a Testimonial day, highly enjoyable. Ex players, fans involvement .

Saw many posts saying it was disrespectful to the Moff and his status with the attendance today, sell the product right.

Love the guy as a player and legend, Brechin will be remembered

Edited by diege

6 hours ago, diege said:

This sounds harsh, but if the main man isnt the main show, why is anyone complaining about the attendance? It ended up being a training game. How many minutes did Moff play against his boyhood team?

The Dam Park aspect was more in line with a Testimonial day, highly enjoyable. Ex players, fans involvement .

Saw many posts saying it was disrespectful to the Moff and his status with the attendance today, sell the product right.

Love the guy as a player and legend, Brechin will be remembered

He deserved a better send-off than a game against Celtic B team tbh. An Ayr United legend.

43 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

He deserved a better send-off than a game against Celtic B team tbh. An Ayr United legend.

Agreed, I know it was his choice but we've essentially played a friendly against a Lowland League side. 

What i would also say is, Moff hasn't really played for the club since Hopkin took over so there could be a wee bit of that in it. Looks like he started 4 games in 21/22 and was used sparingly as a sub. Last season he was the fitness coach(?) and then ended up at Glenafton on loan and obviously this year he's not at the club. I am sure Moff still had a great day and this is only part of his testimonial calendar so he'll have done well out of things financially. When i hit ten years service at my job i got a paperweight. 

25 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Agreed, I know it was his choice but we've essentially played a friendly against a Lowland League side. 

What i would also say is, Moff hasn't really played for the club since Hopkin took over so there could be a wee bit of that in it. Looks like he started 4 games in 21/22 and was used sparingly as a sub. Last season he was the fitness coach(?) and then ended up at Glenafton on loan and obviously this year he's not at the club. I am sure Moff still had a great day and this is only part of his testimonial calendar so he'll have done well out of things financially. When i hit ten years service at my job i got a paperweight. 

I've never done 10 years service. I subscribe to the Jose Mourinho school of doing three years (or until I cba anymore - whatever comes sooner) then fucking off.

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Couldn’t make it down yesterday - were there any of the “best supporters in the world” in attendance?  Thought it would be cheaper than Seville.

In fairness about 1 in 2 people in Schiphol Airport last Wednesday were wearing hoops. Also I'm not sure why Celtic would even advertise this: "ex-player is a Celtic fan" is going to cover about 40% of all Scottish players, and he has no link to the club other than supporting them.

Suppose it's a sign of the times that testimonials just aren't really a thing now. I doubt that playing made up the majority of Moffat's income for most of his time as a player.

2 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Couldn’t make it down yesterday - were there any of the “best supporters in the world” in attendance?  Thought it would be cheaper than Seville.

Some of our “best fans” were out in force online yesterday

only REAL fans attended Moffs testimonial, the ones that weren’t there aren’t real fans

Still think a better solution for the testimonial would’ve been to wait and have the game that was played at Dam Park at Somerset instead with a Moffat XI vs the current Ayr team. I get he wanted to play Celtic but it was a Lowland League side they sent down for him which was never going to result in a decent crowd. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Still think a better solution for the testimonial would’ve been to wait and have the game that was played at Dam Park at Somerset instead with a Moffat XI vs the current Ayr team. I get he wanted to play Celtic but it was a Lowland League side they sent down for him which was never going to result in a decent crowd. 

More people bought tickets than attended so good to see fans still contributing to his testimonial fund knowing they could not be there in person , his game  worn tops have also sold very well only 6 left , thanks to all who contributed yesterday along with all the events to date it’s much appreciated by both Michael and the testimonial committee, only 2 events left , Gala dinner with guest speakers on Saturday 28th  October at Ayr Racecourse ( we play Morton at home in the afternoon) and then finishing his year in mid November with his Racenight ( started with one and ending with one ) tickets for dinner on sale now £500 for table of 10 or £55 each , to book email info@themoff.co.uk , tables selling fast with nearly 70% of them sold already 

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It wasn’t a lowland league side that came down though, given there were five first team players starting…

Completely up to each individual person what they want to do, but a testimonial isn’t about the opposition IMO. 

22 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

It wasn’t a lowland league side that came down though, given there were five first team players starting…

Completely up to each individual person what they want to do, but a testimonial isn’t about the opposition IMO. 

Agree with you in some ways but in others disagree. I've mentioned on here a few times in the past that my first ever game was the John Traynor testimonial against Newcastle United. As a kid seeing Ayr v Newcastle made me nag the life out of my dad to take me along on a bitterly cold March evening. It was a proper marquee name coming to town and that is what got me hooked and brought me back with friends just as the club went into the post Barr banter years. 

Being a bit older now I agree it is about the player, but as a kid seeing a massive club coming to play Ayr drew me in. 

Just now, Hawk89 said:

Agree with you in some ways but in others disagree. I've mentioned on here a few times in the past that my first ever game was the John Traynor testimonial against Newcastle United. As a kid seeing Ayr v Newcastle made me nag the life out of my dad to take me along on a bitterly cold March evening. It was a proper marquee name coming to town and that is what got me hooked and brought me back with friends just as the club went into the post Barr banter years. 

Being a bit older now I agree it is about the player, but as a kid seeing a massive club coming to play Ayr drew me in. 

I do remember that game very very vaguely, but I have absolutely no idea who played for Newcastle…

I just don’t see a big club from down South coming to Somerset at this point in the year - possibly in pre season but that obviously wasn’t an option this year. 

1 minute ago, Hawk89 said:

I remember Ayr United playing Manchester United at Somerset Park. A certain youngster who would later become a superstar and make a massive mark on the game was playing that day. That player was Sean McGinty. Also some diddy called Paul Pogba played.

13 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I remember Ayr United playing Manchester United at Somerset Park. A certain youngster who would later become a superstar and make a massive mark on the game was playing that day. That player was Sean McGinty. Also some diddy called Paul Pogba played.

This one?IMG-20230924-WA0028.thumb.jpg.95b9ab1ca8b6b4fa5225cad3a10182b0.jpg