The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

McCrorie is the only name I've heard from the outer reaches of the inner sanctum. It's a worryingly crucial signing for this level, no problem with keeping the majority of the existing squad if we can sign the right keeper.

He seems to be pretty highly rated at Rangers and has played more games for Scotland at youth level than Ruddy and Hart but has had only one season of proper football.

I don’t see the point in having Hart who’s already young and then adding another young goalie. Surely we’d be better off going for an older experienced goalie who Hart can learn from. Unless Hart is away but that still doesn’t explain why he’d get McCrorie in on loan.

Not suggesting we sign him but what on earth has happened to Kevin Cuthbert, last I heard of him was when he was at Raith Rovers but he then got crocked.

Retired due to injury. Full time goalie coach with them now.

7 minutes ago, sci-fi said:

I suspect the keeper deal has already been done, just waiting on 1st June for announcement.

Why the 1st June? I presume that’s when window opens.

McCall is back from his holiday I thibk(presuming he was away for a week) so should hear some signing news this week. Hopefully get the 6 current players still in discussion re-signed and add a GK, LB, CB, CM, Winger and that’ll probably be our lot. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He seems to be pretty highly rated at Rangers and has played more games for Scotland at youth level than Ruddy and Hart but has had only one season of proper football.

I don’t see the point in having Hart who’s already young and then adding another young goalie. Surely we’d be better off going for an older experienced goalie who Hart can learn from. Unless Hart is away but that still doesn’t explain why he’d get McCrorie in on loan.

Agreed. Just haven't heard any other name mentioned. 

We've struggled with "name" goalkeepers coming in - Samson, Hutton, Main et al. 

Bell is the most realistic experienced keeper shout but would presumably blow the remainder of the budget. As I say, it's such a crucial position but we've been burned so often.

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Why the 1st June? I presume that’s when window opens.

McCall is back from his holiday I thibk(presuming he was away for a week) so should hear some signing news this week. Hopefully get the 6 current players still in discussion re-signed and add a GK, LB, CB, CM, Winger and that’ll probably be our lot. 

Aye. Got the vibe that a keeper was sorted so presuming that end of contract/transfer window opening would be announcement time. Imagine that most folk would be contracted til end of May.

Agreed. Just haven't heard any other name mentioned. 
We've struggled with "name" goalkeepers coming in - Samson, Hutton, Main et al. 
Bell is the most realistic experienced keeper shout but would presumably blow the remainder of the budget. As I say, it's such a crucial position but we've been burned so often.

Might get stick for saying this but I’d rather go for Fleming than McCrorie. At least with Fleming you know what you are getting. He has his weaknesses with cross balls but his shot stopping is as good as I’ve seen from an Ayr goalie. He had some superb performances in his last season and won POTY. In an ideal world I think we should do better but he’s a safe option and had no erratic moments like Hart has had.

Bell is unrealistic as his wage demands will likely be too high and I can’t see him actually wanting to sign for us.

Aye. Got the vibe that a keeper was sorted so presuming that end of contract/transfer window opening would be announcement time. Imagine that most folk would be contracted til end of May.

Did we not announce the likes of Moffat, Geggan and Higgins in May though? They just didn’t join the squad until June.

I imagine we’ll have to wait until the World Cup is over as the majority of McCalls targets will be playing in Russia this summer.

Going by my reckoning if we re-sign the 6 out of contract players plus add 5 we will have a squad of 20, not including the youngsters. If we manage to do this I’d loan out McGuffie to league 1, someone like Stranraer would be ideal to get him a run of games. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Might get stick for saying this but I’d rather go for Fleming than McCrorie. At least with Fleming you know what you are getting. He has his weaknesses with cross balls but his shot stopping is as good as I’ve seen from an Ayr goalie. He had some superb performances in his last season and won POTY. In an ideal world I think we should do better but he’s a safe option and had no erratic moments like Hart has had.

Bell is unrealistic as his wage demands will likely be too high and I can’t see him actually wanting to sign for us.

Wage demands high? - yes. Unrealistic based on signings so far? - possibly not. He needs to play for someone if he's to put himself in the fabled "shop window". It's not particularly far fetched.

Going by my reckoning if we re-sign the 6 out of contract players plus add 5 we will have a squad of 20, not including the youngsters. If we manage to do this I’d loan out McGuffie to league 1, someone like Stranraer would be ideal to get him a run of games. 

Swapsies for Turner

I’d also like to see some of the younger lads like Murphy, McCowan and Faulds go to League 2. Annan maybe with Murphy ? They’re not going to play much this coming season so they’d be better off down there rather than in the stands at Somerset. I get sending them to the juniors for a season to toughen them up but the Championship is a million miles away from the Juniors.

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Did we not announce the likes of Moffat, Geggan and Higgins in May though? They just didn’t join the squad until June.

I imagine we’ll have to wait until the World Cup is over as the majority of McCalls targets will be playing in Russia this summer.

#announcejoehart

I'm sure wherever McCall was for a week on holiday he was probably on the phone regularly back to here speaking to targets or contacts about potential signings.

Can't imagine he's been sitting on a beach getting wasted for the last week considering he was going with his son.

4 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Aye, they all have their perks. What’s the pub called in Greenock that’s very popular with both home and away fans? You have to go up a flight of stairs to get into it. 

Was never overly impressed with Scully when I seen him for Dunfermline a few years back.

Not many keepers about though. 

Scully is a better keeper than Fleming, I'm sure both years he was with us he won the player of the year awards. Has outstanding shot stopping and is great at one on one situations, isn't bad at a cross ball either. 

Distribution and his positioning were his weakness. 

The pub you're thinking of is the Norseman. 

Edited by Grant228

So far then our squad consists of these guys, don’t think I’ve missed anyone out. Also not 100% if Ecrepont is signed or they’re looking to just extend his deal.

Goalkeeper:

Defenders: Geggan, Higgins, Bell

Midfielders: Kerr, Docherty, Forrest, McGuffie, McCowan, Murphy

Strikers : Moffat, Moore, Shankland, Hilton

Edited by callum-ayr

I hope that the 500 fund keeps growing quickly while it has momentum.

Could make the difference in getting the best quality in these crucial positions.

Would still love to see a bit of a 'wildcard' signing, an unknown from deepest, darkest Poland, Slovakia or somewhere.

A new hero in the making.

Or just some random that McCall saw playing keepy uppy on the bench while on holiday.

What's Ronaldinho up to these days?

36 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

So far then our squad consists of these guys, don’t think I’ve missed anyone out. Also not 100% if Ecrepont is signed or they’re looking to just extend his deal.

Goalkeeper:

Defenders: Geggan, Higgins, Bell

Midfielders: Docherty, Forrest, McGuffie, McCowan, Murphy

Strikers : Moffat, Moore, Shankland, Hilton

Kerr as well