The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

6 weeks ago I’d have said that we needed McCall in due to the state of our summer recruitment, we needed a rebuild and McCall is one of the most prepared managers at our level.

Now, I think the squad is in better shape apart from the obvious defensive issues. 

If we lose to Peterhead, Arbroath and Dundee United, things will be pretty toxic and the last thing the club needs to do is piss about interviewing a series of coaches before taking another gamble.

McCall would be the obvious choice, followed by John Robertson, even Billy Dodds would be seen as a safer pair of hands than some of the candidates from last time. 

Robertson was a name I thought of but he seems more interested in his regular gig on BBC Sportsound. 

I’m not sure the Ayr gig would interest McCall as much as people think. The big thing keeping him here last time was Cameron. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m not sure the Ayr gig would interest McCall as much as people think. The big thing keeping him here last time was Cameron. 

McCall's return on more than a short term basis would be an admission that the football model had failed.

I doubt McCall would appreciate the recruitment team or Mathie's roles that much.

I could be way off with that but McCall is a bit old school in that he likes to control it all.

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Robertson was a name I thought of but he seems more interested in his regular gig on BBC Sportsound. 

He wants back into management and I don’t really see him being offered a better job…

I’ve went from definite no of him returning as manager, to undecided tbh. 

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

McCall's return on more than a short term basis would be an admission that the football model had failed.

I doubt McCall would appreciate the recruitment team or Mathie's roles that much.

I could be way off with that but McCall is a bit old school in that he likes to control it all.

He is the ideal man to steady a ship, I’m not sure Ayr are currently the basket case he normally joins, he’d be more suited to Morton currently but I think the Alloa job would be his most likely.

Could it work at Ayr? He’d speak to the club propaganda more, fans would be more onside. Recruitment wise, if the budget was set in 3 McCall certainties and 3 Glendinning punts every window, we’d be in better shape. 
Would Mathie like it, probably not and that might be the stumbling block. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

He wants back into management and I don’t really see him being offered a better job…

I’ve went from definite no of him returning as manager, to undecided tbh. 

The one big thing that he’d bring us right now is he’d help in recruiting players as you get the feeling a lot of players want to play under him. We seem to get knocked back by an awful lot of domestic based players for clubs who are at the same level as us. I’m doubt Bullen has a great deal of “pull” for players whereas McCall does. 

I’m just not sure he fits in with the correct structure of the club. 

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

Everyone knows McGeady is the next manager.

McGeady is rumoured to be richer than the chairman by some margin. If the club were to make him manager, they would have to be aware that he would walk away the second he couldn’t be arsed any more. Or, we’d be in a Neil Watt scenario where the manager is paying players and bonuses to sure up his reputation. 

He’d be a gamble, I wouldn’t be against him getting it but I have a feeling that him taking the job would be more about vanity that ambition 

I'm not buying the idea that McCall 'wouldn't fit the system'. There are significant overlaps in responsibility between an old school manager and a modern head coach, particularly with the collaborative approach Ayr say they use. I think that would be a poor reason to dismiss the idea of his return.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

The one big thing that he’d bring us right now is he’d help in recruiting players as you get the feeling a lot of players want to play under him. We seem to get knocked back by an awful lot of domestic based players for clubs who are at the same level as us. I’m doubt Bullen has a great deal of “pull” for players whereas McCall does. 

I don’t think McCall is quite as old school as talked about - the main question obviously is around what he thinks of the current recruitment process…

Ultimately, compare how many young gems McCall got us, in comparison to the current system and McCall can do whatever he wants in terms of recruitment. He obviously made poor signings too, but there is no chance they would be at the same volume to what we are currently doing. 

Just now, GuyIncognito said:

McCall would also be very polarising among Ayr fans, a lot of folk I know wouldn’t want him back under any circumstances.

Would never happen though as he would want complete control over everything.

Come the middle of December, McCall being hired as manager would be the equivalent of a hot water bottle in your bed on a frosty night. A feeling that everything will be at least, ok

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Very true about his "pull" with domestic players. Players always seem to want to play for him.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

McCall would be the obvious choice, followed by John Robertson, even Billy Dodds would be seen as a safer pair of hands than some of the candidates from last time. 

Early start the night?  Fair play

Edited by Peil

1 hour ago, motley123rock said:

They were a nightmare and their childish shout and disgusting abuse of the the ladies from the shop was out of order. Yes agreed the game was awful. 

Here, that's no right.  Those ladies do a cracking job and travel all over supporting the team.

Get the walloper(s) named and shamed