The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, railwayend said:

LS has double the career goals of Rangers last two multi million pound duds combined ! Incredible they sat back and watched Hearts pinch him for £500k . I’m afraid if the rumours are true then your fears are justified. Potentially his 20 extra goals in half a season could just nick Rangers the league . No matter who LS plays for he’ll still be a legend at Ayr , those two seasons are the fondest of memories ! When will we see his like again …..

It is a real shame that any semi- decent player produced within Scotland, unfortunately has to end up at one of the old firm teams to be considered a good player nowadays. Sad times. Two teams in Scotland and one of them died not too long ago 😒

I'd like to think after doing well for Hearts, Shankland would go somewhere other than an Old Firm team. Hopefully they believe he's too old for the money or something.

In my time following Ayr, Shankland is the only one who realistically could have been capped while at the club and should have been capped a lot more once he left.

Stevenson at his peak (either at Hearts or Ipswich) was in a squad but McLeash decided 35 year old Barry Robson should come on against Cypress when Scotland were winning. 

I was always amazed that a Hearts or Hibs didn't move for Shankland when he moved to Dundee Utd on a free.

We should always be grateful when you see players of his ilk come and go when with us. I'm sure he'll always be grateful for his time with us and that'll always be something as a club and support that we can be rightly proud of.

When you see him playing and scoring for the National team it makes you appreciate the leap in performance that he's made from his time with us.

You look at his goals and overall performances with us and his finishes were usually cleanly struck and on the back of good movement in the box. The clues were definitely there for bigger clubs to take a chance on him sooner than they did.

Kick on Sir Lawrence. 

28 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I was always amazed that a Hearts or Hibs didn't move for Shankland when he moved to Dundee Utd on a free.

We should always be grateful when you see players of his ilk come and go when with us. I'm sure he'll always be grateful for his time with us and that'll always be something as a club and support that we can be rightly proud of.

When you see him playing and scoring for the National team it makes you appreciate the leap in performance that he's made from his time with us.

You look at his goals and overall performances with us and his finishes were usually cleanly struck and on the back of good movement in the box. The clues were definitely there for bigger clubs to take a chance on him sooner than they did.

Kick on Sir Lawrence. 

He's good enough to play for any team in Scotland. He'd score 25 goals a season for either of the ugly sisters  .how the rangers  haven't signed him yet is laughable considering the shite they spend millions on.what a career turnaround for him .he didn't even have a team when we signed him .

At 28, I would probably rather Shankland looked to get one last big move to the English Championship or back abroad as a starter rather than to Rangers. I think that is his best chance of getting into the Euro’s squad. 

He definitely deserved a better move than Dundee United when he left us, but he was then unlucky in terms of the Dundee United style of play being so defensive which lead to a move to Belgium that didn’t work out for him. 

Obviously family life can dictate differently, but he would most likely just end up back up to Danilo and making sub appearances. Especially as they most likely won’t be in Europe too much longer. 

I’m not convinced anyone will pay enough for Hearts to let him go, which then means he has to be constantly impacting the next few Scotland games whenever he gets a chance. There is a lot of competition for that third striker slot all playing at the same level in Stewart, Hardie, Conway, Nisbet and Brown and possibly even Doak obviously playing at the level above. 

Shankland is the most complete striker I have ever seen playing for Ayr United. He not only scored goals, but his link up play was also excellent. He would score an absolute shitload of goals with good service.

I did expect him to get more caps by now, but it's not his fault that Clarke prefers capping diddies like Che Adams who shoots like a 3-year-old who's just been introduced to a football for the first time.