The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I dunno what to say about Bullen's tenure.

I am very much jaded by the shit football (espcially at home) and the capitulation to Partick in the playoffs.

He doesn't come back from that for me and I'm looking forward to whoever comes next.

17 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The appointment was brilliant. It was the managerial part that was shite.

I’d say his tenure would be a solid 6 or 7 out of 10. Plenty of great moments and plenty of absolute shite. The same can be said for managers who are considered hero’s at their respective clubs. 

I do still agree that he has ran his course and action needs to be taken. I’d have far more respect for him if he bows out rather than drag this on and get sacked in March. 

He made mistakes the first half season and it was clear the second season he wasn't learning from them. The second season, he made the same mistakes and Dipo polished over them for the early to mid part of the season, it became evident that he hadn't improved much around October time when we got found out. 
This season, he appears to have changed things, was unlucky with injuries and lucky we managed to get Dowds in. We are no longer playing terrible football. We were setting up to win games rather than just trying to stop the opposition playing and hope we got lucky with one of our two shots at goal a game. 

The defence has been rotten, we gift two goals a game and the substitutions have been a lottery, we have been winning games and reverted to trying to stop teams playing, resulting in us dropping points.

Bullen and Mathie have both said that the success of last season has raised expectations in the support, that may be true but I think fans are more punch drunk. two years of it not really working well has maybe just turned folk against him now. Fans are fickle and a run of good results will get most back on his side, I'm not sure he can survive a run of bad ones though. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d say his tenure would be a solid 6 or 7 out of 10. Plenty of great moments and plenty of absolute shite. The same can be said for managers who are considered hero’s at their respective clubs. 

I do still agree that he has ran his course and action needs to be taken. I’d have far more respect for him if he bows out rather than drag this on and get sacked in March. 

Yeah, I don't disagree with that appraisal. I'm probably further down the line than you but I've had enough of watching the same issues not being addressed at all. It's like ground hog day.

The abject home performances have to end. Going to Somerset is becoming a bit of a chore.

Edited by Trogdor

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

6 or 7 / 10? You bumped yer heed?

He had a cheat code up top last season and we were sussed out by the turn of the year.

Over the course he’s been rotten and he should have walked after that playoff shambles.

We're in the paper 😅 Boys taking it into school tomorrow 👍

Cannot tell you how much that boy enjoyed meeting all the players, got a picture with every one of them.

Never got a picture with Bullen though 😏 8 years old and is clued up. Thinks Bullen is getting fired 😂

PXL_20231122_175942099.jpg

57 minutes ago, .buzzy01 said:

Good to see that approval has been received on the new gym and meeting area at Tryfield Place.

Think the project going ahead is dependent on if the club qualifies for a grant from the Scottish Government or SFA can't remember who as it's classed as some community initiative if I remember correctly 

24 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Think the project going ahead is dependent on if the club qualifies for a grant from the Scottish Government or SFA can't remember who as it's classed as some community initiative if I remember correctly 

I used to manage regeneration capital grant fund applications for GCC. Think the fund they are putting in for sounded pretty similar to that. If it is then they’d usually be asked to provide some socially beneficial dimension and also outline what you can do with the new facilities that you couldn’t do before. Hopefully they can show this. They likely can tbf as Somerset is bang in between White City and Whitletts. 

7 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

I used to manage regeneration capital grant fund applications for GCC. Think the fund they are putting in for sounded pretty similar to that. If it is then they’d usually be asked to provide some socially beneficial dimension and also outline what you can do with the new facilities that you couldn’t do before. Hopefully they can show this. They likely can tbf as Somerset is bang in between White City and Whitletts. 

There's not really a space like that in the area at all.
You've got the community centre that was in the old church down Lochside road, but that's about the closest.

1 hour ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

It sounds like councils shutting public toilets and offering incentives for cafes and pubs to allow folk to use theirs.

We’ll pay for a gym to be built and kitted out, you staff and maintain it. We’ll also shut all local activity centres at the same time but it looks like we care about public health because we are “investing in new facilities” 

if it benefits the club 🤷

With all the churches and activity centres closing, there is still a market for spaces for Zumba and aerobics classes, Childs birthday parties etc. I don’t think the new gym is big enough to accommodate them. 

29 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

It sounds like councils shutting public toilets and offering incentives for cafes and pubs to allow folk to use theirs.

We’ll pay for a gym to be built and kitted out, you staff and maintain it. We’ll also shut all local activity centres at the same time but it looks like we care about public health because we are “investing in new facilities” 

Doubt its councils displacing responsibility onto others. More just reflecting the fact that there’s f**k all in the way of public funds to invest in decent services, and trying to get the maximum out of what little there is. 

In my experience, the amount of money up for grabs is usually minuscule and spread pretty thin. RCGF was £25m and available to every council and development vehicle to apply for, and that was one of the biggest pots of funding out there for this kinda thing. The competition for the funding is, as a result, pretty fierce. I’m guessing whatever the club are applying for will be along similar lines. 

But on the face of it they look to have a pretty reasonable claim that whatever it is they’re building will be impactful. It’s clearly needed in the area and it doesn’t sound like we’re asking for the world either. Hopefully it’s a scoosh. 

4 hours ago, Rb123 said:

SFA and UK Government 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/football-development/scottish-fa-grassroots-pitch-facilities-fund/

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/multi-sport-grassroots-facilities-programme-projects-2021-to-2025

"Ayr United can confirm it has been in discussions with the Scottish FA regarding an application to their Grassroots Facilities Fund for the last number of months. The proposed ‘Community Corner’ facility is designed to significantly increase the club’s capacity to deliver community physical activity and education for a host of community groups, in addition to all of the club’s playing sections. The application will now go through a stringent process, and whilst there is no guarantee of the required funding being granted, the club felt it appropriate to progress to a planning application so it can move quickly to deliver the project should the application be successful."