The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

I honestly think the Ayr United International shirts are a fantastic idea. Even if I'm not too keen on the Zambia one personally, it's good to see Ayr united getting noticed globally through these shirts.

What other foreign players do we have at Somerset?

I can only think of Akheem Rose (Jamaican)and George Stanger (New Zealand)🤔 McGinty is Irish is he not?

Jay Senga also, he is Belgian.

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

I honestly think the Ayr United International shirts are a fantastic idea. Even if I'm not too keen

The fact that some folk were raging at it was bizarre. I get it if it is the home top and you’re stuck for a season with a top you don’t like, but it was a one off. 
We have released a tribute top to Musonda, buy it if you want

FUCKOFFSHOVEYIRTAPCUNT

I would have loved for us to have Ian Murray on board after seeing some of the football they've played tonight, rolls me back to the McCall years.

To think we'd have just needed to pay a bit of compo to Airdrie for his services at the time we went for Bullen who we also needed to pay compo to...

11 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

I would have loved for us to have Ian Murray on board after seeing some of the football they've played tonight, rolls me back to the McCall years.

To think we'd have just needed to pay a bit of compo to Airdrie for his services at the time we went for Bullen who we also needed to pay compo to...

A Raith Rovers side with two defenders on the park, including one who hasn’t played since the end of last season. 

9 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

What’s Raiths secret this season? They seemed pretty run of the mill whenever I saw them last year. Looked a very good outfit tonight. 

Time and a good summer window mostly I think. They had, on paper, some decent players last season and on their day they looked capable of taking anyone on. But they were very unbalanced and didn't seem to have a style down to a tee. This year they've clearly worked on how to integrate all of the decent "on the ball" players into one system, while also strengthening weaker positions in the last window. 

Tbh, it sounds daft me saying they have more 'balance' when they've currently got 2 defenders in the park, but they seem to have a far better understanding of the system, so guys are willing to drop into slightly unfamiliar positions to make it work.

ETA. Credit to Murray for making it work. Interesting comparisons maybe to be made to the McCall Ayr team that blew the league away for half a season then fell away. Mostly in terms of the exciting football played with a squad that was maybe slightly top heavy.

I don't think Raith will win the league in the end but will be interesting to see how long they stay in with a shout.

Edited by AuAl

8 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

What’s Raiths secret this season? They seemed pretty run of the mill whenever I saw them last year. Looked a very good outfit tonight. 

Identified what they needed to improve on and recruited well to complement what they had. Started their summer recruitment with positive signings to get the fans back on side (as well ans other fan initiatives) and their momentum has just built from there. 

Basically what we didn’t do! 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Identified what they needed to improve on and recruited well to complement what they had. Started their summer recruitment with positive signings to get the fans back on side (as well ans other fan initiatives) and their momentum has just built from there. 

Basically what we didn’t do! 

Yeah Raith Rovers are the club i thought we were going to become when Mathie came on board with the all moving in one direction and the positivity and so on, hasn't quite worked out...

A club can be split in half between off pitch and on pitch and it's our on pitch which is badly letting us down which subsequently can have a negative impact off pitch

Murray was one of the ones I was hoping for when we went and appointed Bullen. It would’ve been a gamble given the football he plays and how he did at St Mirren although you cannot argue with his stint at Dumbarton and he is much more experienced now. 

I think Dundee United will win the league in the end but Raith are very easy on the eye. 

2 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Yeah Raith Rovers are the club i thought we were going to become when Mathie came on board with the all moving in one direction and the positivity and so on, hasn't quite worked out...

A club can be split in half between off pitch and on pitch and it's our on pitch which is badly letting us down which subsequently can have a negative impact off pitch

I think a lot of us are hoping things will start to look differently once the new stand is complete. 

Whether that’s copying the likes of Raith with free season tickets for kids or the signings being what we actually need. 

Honestly - I think it’s wishful thinking, but we’ll see. 

It’s worth remembering that Raith have completely overhauled everything behind the scenes and every area of the club is being at a very professional standard and by someone who knows what they’re doing. They’ve also had a bit of investment and been able to strengthen every weakness they had with someone who is proven at this level or looked capable of stepping up. 

Us bringing in Mathie was a step in the right direction but ultimately he’s just one man and so far he’s hired a new head of recruitment with mixed results and a couple new bodies to work in the sports science department. There’s a fair bit to go in that regard and I think fans would have more patience if stuff on the pitch was going better. 

I wonder what their contract situation is like. Like are they lumbered with duds on two year deals that are stinking the place up and eating into wages? 

Our issues were clear to everybody. I wonder if we’ve been hamstrung by having so much dead weight (potentially) unlike Raith 

Just now, Coollestersmoothe said:

I wonder what their contract situation is like. Like are they lumbered with duds on two year deals that are stinking the place up and eating into wages? 

Our issues were clear to everybody. I wonder if we’ve been hamstrung by having so much dead weight (potentially) unlike Raith 

We do impressively add to our dead weight tbf.