The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 hours ago, railwayend said:

In terms of a promotion push Raith Rovers , a club of similar size to our own , have set the bench mark for transfer windows , it couldn’t have been cheap but I doubt McGeady , Murphy and Chalmers are on buttons . We’ll need to decide in the summer if we follow it or not . In January I’m affraid it’ll be a patch up job on the one in one out basis . For what it’s worth I think we’ll survive in the champion. 

They also did their business early and had managed to build a bit of expectation in the support in doing so. 

Despite knowing the shortcomings of the Ayr squad and knowing we needed to replace Akinyemi, we signed Dowds in September.  

6 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

They also did their business early and had managed to build a bit of expectation in the support in doing so. 

Despite knowing the shortcomings of the Ayr squad and knowing we needed to replace Akinyemi, we signed Dowds in September.  

Raith’s season was over by March so knew their budget for this season and could start planning. Ayr didn’t know what league they’d be in until the end of May so the board were probably hanging back. We had the same problem in the summer of 2022, clubs were back training and signing players about a week after we lost to St Johnstone in the play off final.

Raith had a 2 month head start on everyone this summer.

8 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Despite knowing the shortcomings of the Ayr squad and knowing we needed to replace Akinyemi, we signed Dowds in September

I think Dowds was an emergency signing after the realisation that Rose wasn’t going to even fractionally fill the Dipo void . 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Raith’s season was over by March so knew their budget for this season and could start planning. Ayr didn’t know what league they’d be in until the end of May so the board were probably hanging back. We had the same problem in the summer of 2022, clubs were back training and signing players about a week after we lost to St Johnstone in the play off final.

Raith had a 2 month head start on everyone this summer.

With the top three slots well beyond Ayr this season and fourth probably beyond the group we have at this point ,it would be nice to get one or two in in January that would both improve us in the short term and also be starting eleven material next season . This would leave us less work to do next summer . 

1 hour ago, railwayend said:

I think Dowds was an emergency signing after the realisation that Rose wasn’t going to even fractionally fill the Dipo void . 

We shifted Ashford on so we were an option light going in to the season even if Rose was even half the player Dipo was.
We knew that McKenzie wasn’t going to hit double figures and Bryden is still a teenager. 

Raith had the same effect that McCall used to provide, a comfy feeling in late July that barring a disaster, the season ahead was going to be, at least, fine. Based on the players that had been brought in. 

2 hours ago, railwayend said:

It was plainly obvious from Rose's youtube highlights reel that he wasnt in the same mould as Dipo, and although he looked like a decent player (and obviously had a few teams after him, including spending time on trial at Livi) you would have to be blind / clueless to expect him to fill the void of Dipo, as it was clear he needed to be paired with someone else (targetman), or not to play hoofball.

2 minutes ago, honestly united said:

It was plainly obvious from Rose's youtube highlights reel that he wasnt in the same mould as Dipo, and although he looked like a decent player (and obviously had a few teams after him, including spending time on trial at Livi) you would have to be blind / clueless to expect him to fill the void of Dipo, as it was clear he needed to be paired with someone else (targetman), or not to play hoofball.

Love the hoof ball craic.

Anyway three of our four striking options are not good enough to provide goals on a regular basis at Championship level this season . I think we are all agreed on that . We really must get a deal for Dowds over the line in January. I’d go as far to say a striking partner or cover would be welcome in the window with Fraser going out on loan to mitigate the cost as well as to give him regular football. 

1 minute ago, Rb123 said:

Not sure what the reaction will be but I'm going to put my neck out on the line here and say we should have kept Ashford 

When you see what we've got to offer with Rose for example...

Ashford got 2 goals and 2 assists in his first season and 3 goals and 2 assists in last year's team getting similar game time to Rose who has 2 goals and 2 assists.  Rose is clearly shite but has a lot of time to pull ahead in numbers.  

We need our squad players to be of better ability than both - we signed both to be starters as well. 

22 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

We need our squad players to be of better ability than both - we signed both to be starters as well

Yeah, it’s a bit like saying we should have kept John Hillcoat because Peter Cherry was shite. 

McKenzie has proven he won’t score goals, Bryden hasn’t yet but we haven’t given him the game time. I also don’t think we are in a position to do so.

Ashford was basically what we have in McKenzie. I have no idea what Rose is because he hasn’t shown anything so far that defines him in any way at all and he’s been at the club 6 months. 

21 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I suspect with Rose we were trying to replicate the signing of Dipo - failing to take into account that the likelihood of signing a player from that far down the league system who would have the impact that Dipo had is very low. Dipo really was a one-off signing and returning to the same pond to replace him at the expense of looking for players who are proven in this league was rather naive IMO.

In fairness, Akinyemi is in fact striker 2 from this lucky dip, the first being Adeloye. So more of a two-off.

Recruitment has been terrible, tactics have been terrible, but let's admit that these are quite difficult things to be good at and that it's difficult for folk in the stands to really be able to see exactly how to fix things. But what I can categorically say is that any random fan, indeed any random alky in the Toll on a Tuesday afternoon, could make better substitutions than Lee Bullen. A man whose single, solitary measurement of player performance is how full their energy meter is.

Anyway, the last few pages have warmed my blackened little heart up. Looking forward to cheering on Davie White as he takes charge of a resounding victory against Dunfermline on the 30th.

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

In fairness, Akinyemi is in fact striker 2 from this lucky dip, the first being Adeloye. So more of a two-off.

Recruitment has been terrible, tactics have been terrible, but let's admit that these are quite difficult things to be good at and that it's difficult for folk in the stands to really be able to see exactly how to fix things. But what I can categorically say is that any random fan, indeed any random alky in the Toll on a Tuesday afternoon, could make better substitutions than Lee Bullen. A man whose single, solitary measurement of player performance is how full their energy meter is.

Anyway, the last few pages have warmed my blackened little heart up. Looking forward to cheering on Davie White as he takes charge of a resounding victory against Dunfermline on the 30th.

Recruitment has different methods, In the past we have managers that have gone down the junior route and signed a load of players from the club they just left like Neil Watt and David Hopkin. 
We have managers who have gone down the scouting, agent and pals network like Brian Reid and Gordon Daziel and the - just sign the best players in the league route like McCall. 

Kerr tried the moneyball approach and beyond Reading, I think all of his signings lasted a year. 

We now have more people responsible for recruitment than ever before yet we still signed JMl, Ryan Gondoh and David Banfuckinggala 

The successes ? Dipo is obviously a huge one. Murphy & Chalmers, taking out the injuries, Musonda weren’t really risks. 

5 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Heard Andy murdoch will be  leaving in Jan. Don't know the full story.

Was it not his ACL again? Knee injuries are a b*****d and if it's a recurrence then maybe he's having to consider calling it a day? Obviously I would hope not, but maybe full time championship football isn't something he will be returning to.

23 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Heard Andy murdoch will be  leaving in Jan. Don't know the full story.

Difficult to see what the significance of January is?  Unless he’s chucking football altogether and has another opportunity lined up.  Would be a real shame but maybe he’s had medical advice to stop.

Just now, ryanayr1987 said:

Would imagine that would free up quite a chunk of change to strengthen the squad. I like the guy but we will have missed him for two seasons out of 5 by the end of the season and his recovery last season was slow

We’d have to pay up his contract, so not sure it would free up any cash.