The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

26 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Offered him the chance to chuck me about like an empty trackie but he shat it did medium sized Dunc.

In all seriousness just been too scunnered to post. Just feel like I’m constantly saying the same thing and nothing changes. 

Aye. Ok (wink). When the police come asking we’ll say that too (wink). Seriously, how’s he doing?

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

About a week ago did anybody on here actually know who he was?

I'd have taken him in the summer, one of two good players at Hamilton last year. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I wish Bullen could turn it round but for me the biggest issue is our squad are so low on confidence right now and I think he thinks it’s a character issue. He’s not displaying anything by way of tactics and he’s doing nothing to shield the players from the pressure we’re under. At the end of the day I think a lot of it comes down to experience but I also don’t think he really knows how he wants us to play. Or rather he does, but he doesn’t know how to implement it. He’ll leave Ayr being one of our most successful managers (in the last few decades) purely based off of one Mark McKenzie goal but I don’t think anyone could honestly say he’s been a better manager than Brian Reid

Brian Reid was underrated as Ayr manager tbh and had more about him tactically than Bullen does. Shame he had f**k all money to work with.

Yes, Bullen has been one of our more successful recent managers, but have a look at the list of our recent managers and you'll see how low the bar is.

15 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Brian Reid was underrated as Ayr manager tbh and had more about him tactically than Bullen does. Shame he had f**k all money to work with.

Yes, Bullen has been one of our more successful recent managers, but have a look at the list of our recent managers and you'll see how low the bar is.

Aye that was also in my thinking. We have appointed some absolute corkers. Didn’t help that for about 15 years we were basically a junior outfit and had some people in charge that really shouldn’t have been here. 

Thinking about the 3 games to save his job thing. It's actually absurd when you think about it. Playing the bottom placed team twice and a league 1 side. He couldn't have been given a lower benchmark for measuring success, and is just a sign of how much Mathie and Co don't want to sack him. Even if he picks up 3 wins it changes very little, and if the higher ups come out and say "look, things are turning around..etc" then there just playing us all for fools. On the other hand, if we get scudded in them then there's no amount of PR that can change that inevitable outcome.

I'm Not for saying we should be looking at much lower levels, far from it. We need experienced defenders and preferably ones who knows what they're doing.

Though I did see that Troon have signed a 28 year old former Iraq International defender today. Aldin El-Zubaidi 🤔 formerly of Hamilton.

20240109_232455.jpg

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye that was also in my thinking. We have appointed some absolute corkers. Didn’t help that for about 15 years we were basically a junior outfit and had some people in charge that really shouldn’t have been here. 

The noughties were my teenage years, so I remember some absolutely diabolical Ayr United teams with great clarity.

Being an Ayr fan back then was, erm, character-building.

2 hours ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

I’d listen to that. Not all week But definitely on repeat from 4.50 till I pass out on a Saturday. Wake up, listen to James all day Sunday and then Monday feels like a break. Loser wins.

Tunes are banging tbf

We made it out League 1 just in time I reckon. If we were currently in the state we were in 10-15 years ago I think we’d have found it very hard to get out and at times even stay in League 1.

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We really are up shit creek without a paddle at this point. We’re already over a week into the January window without even the hint of players coming in. Even if Bullen was to be sacked after Saturday, which I highly doubt btw we’re going to be scrambling about for a manager and players. Could a new manager* turn this bunch round? I’m not convinced. He should have been sacked long before now. 

* I know Bullen is classed as a head coach but given he has final say on transfers I’d describe him as more of a manager. That model really needs sorted out aswell, we need to decide whether we want a manager (responsible for signings etc) or a head coach (Purely responsible for taking training, picking the team based on the players given to him)

always thought Scottish football teams are better with ‘managers’ and not ‘head coaches’ 

i've always felt Reid was better then Bullen in my life time of watching ayr devoted my ranking of managers go McCall>Reid>Bullen>Kerr (thou i know some would argue Kerr is better)> Roberts > Duffy > Hopkin

5 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

For me, Reid was fine but always fell short of the potential shown in that one game he and Mark McGeown took caretaker charge for in around 2008, where the performance was hugely entertaining.

2 hours ago, Iain said:

For me, Reid was fine but always fell short of the potential shown in that one game he and Mark McGeown took caretaker charge for in around 2008, where the performance was hugely entertaining.

Were they not in charge for 5-6 games?

And is it the 4-3 Alloa game you're referring to?

2 hours ago, Iain said:

I think Alex Ingram was also involved in that management team. 

It was these three matches in March 2007 that Reid and McGeown were in charge for.Screenshot_20240110_070014_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8c6dc1db99db9474a5ce7cb7d7c4b6b1.jpg

f**k knows where I got 5-6 matches from. Anyway, that Alloa game was superbly entertaining. I still cite it as one of the best games I've been to.

Reid had lost the dressing room (rumours remain that this was Roberts's doing) and the manner of the capitulation at the end of his last season meant he was always likely to go (though IIRC I said I wanted to give him another year). His subsequent career has been typically Ayr-esque though (as in immediately vanishing into oblivion never to return).

He was extremely tactically shallow and the club were never more than relegation fodder in the second tier. On the other hand, you never went into a cup tie with SPL opposition actually expecting to get beat, whereas with Bullen you never go into a cup tie with League Two opposition expecting to win.

Why people are treating some random punter saying "three games" as if it's an official club communication is beyond me. Nothing of that sort has come out at all.

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

It was these three matches in March 2007 that Reid and McGeown were in charge for.f**k knows where I got 5-6 matches from. Anyway, that Alloa game was superbly entertaining. I still cite it as one of the best games I've been to.

His final home league game (an ultimately meaningless 3-2 win against Dundee featuring both the best and worst goals I've ever seen Ayr score) was one of my favourites, excepting all the giant killings.

Edited by Thumper

I saw the DRC squad photo for the upcoming African Nations tournament and had a thought. 

Was Bullens mate taking the piss when he recommended Bangala? 

Is he now on the after dinner circuit, having audiences in stitches about how gullible Bullen always was and how he told him to sign the worst player he’d ever seen…..and he did.