The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Bullens job was to keep us in the league. He did that. Then finished 2nd the following season. It wasn’t glamorous. Almost everybody here hated it and wanted him out - even before the disaster of this season unfolded.

I soured on Bullen earlier than most but I was still thrilled with second and was happy for him to stay in the job even after Hubgate. I think it's quite difficult to argue that "almost everybody... wanted him out" during the summer: that wasn't even a consensus opinion on here at the time, and very clearly it wasn't impacting attendances as the season kicked off. What ultimately did for Bullen wasn't the shite football but the shite football coupled with being in the relegation zone.

The football under Reid was usually incredibly monotonous stuff but he shitfested his way to two promotions and over half a dozen victories against top flight teams. Ultimately he didn't get emptied for the football (though I'm apparently the only person who left Hampden that day not thinking he should be sacked) but because he got relegated. If you stay up you can always have another go next year. If you get relegated then there might not be a next year.

1 hour ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

I’d rather not have any more turgid fitba and have a product that justifies the 3hr round trip and £20 ticket. 

The choice is not between unglamorous but effective versus entertaining but risky. The choice is between potentially getting a guy who is unglamorous but effective, or ending up with a clown like John Hughes who will primarily provide entertainment for fans of other teams.

If it somehow miraculously comes down to Bowyer vs McCall, I'd want McCall. But it isn't.

There might have been a few people unhappy with Bullen after the playoffs but wanting him gone was absolutely not the consensus amongst the fan base, it wasn't even the consensus in the P&B echo chamber FFS. 

+1 for Curtis Woodhouse by the way. 

42 minutes ago, Thumper said:

The football under Reid was usually incredibly monotonous stuff but he shitfested his way to two promotions and over half a dozen victories against top flight teams. Ultimately he didn't get emptied for the football (though I'm apparently the only person who left Hampden that day not thinking he should be sacked) but because he got relegated. If you stay up you can always have another go next year. If you get relegated then there might not be a next year.

The notion that BR was a shitfester is unfair tbh. BRs teams played some entertaining attacking football at times. The 2008/09 season in particular was good to watch. 

I'll be honest, I don't really care about the "style" of football. I'd rather we just won games - wanky football hipster concepts like "playing football the right way" can get in the bin.

7 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

+1 for Curtis Woodhouse by the way. 

Just checked in on oor Curtis, his Twitter is all betting on horses, reasons why he couldn't train and saying he's ranked 52/57 in the boxing (I'm assuming a district league?). Reckon he'd still be a decent banter choice till the summer if we are resigned to going down this season.

Edited by Hawk89

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The notion that BR was a shitfester is unfair tbh. BRs teams played some entertaining attacking football at times. The 2008/09 season in particular was good to watch. 

I'll be honest, I don't really care about the "style" of football. I'd rather we just won games - wanky football hipster concepts like "playing football the right way" can get in the bin.

Genuinely can't think of many games under him that I felt utterly bored watching. Can't say the same about the last few years since Kerr left, in particular the Hopkin Vs MacPherson shiteoff is absolutely up there as the worst game of football ever played. 

6 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Yep, Mark Roberts, Alex Williams and Bryan Prunty scored heaps of goals.  Plus we had Ryan Stevenson who was absolute class.  He also signed Andy Geggan and Michael Moffat who proved to be half decent.   

7 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Yep, Mark Roberts, Alex Williams and Bryan Prunty scored heaps of goals.  Plus we had Ryan Stevenson who was absolute class.  He also signed Andy Geggan and Michael Moffat who proved to be half decent.   

I don't think I've hugged as many strangers as I did when his goal against Killie hit the net.

21 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Worth pointing out that if Raith hadn't hit the post in the 94th minute on the last day of 2017/18 then McCall would probably have been sacked even with Shankland's heroics and 100+ goals that season.

25 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Genuinely can't think of many games under him that I felt utterly bored watching. Can't say the same about the last few years since Kerr left, in particular the Hopkin Vs MacPherson shiteoff is absolutely up there as the worst game of football ever played. 

I think Duffy was manager. I remember Johnathon Afolabi not even pretending to try that day. Least Bradley scored a nice goal.

Just been sent a screenshot from the SRE page where a guy said he wouldn’t take Bowyer because “he didn’t smile once at Dundee last year”. 

Honestly the best opinion I think I’ve ever read. 

5 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

I think Duffy was manager. I remember Johnathon Afolabi not even pretending to try that day. Least Bradley scored a nice goal.

Always struggle to remember their switchover point, was just one blur of horror.

6 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Imagine if Duffy actually played Bradley on a regular basis. He probably would have still been sacked but would have made bullens job a little easier as we may have been able to keep Bradley who looked a gem. 

1 minute ago, Hawk89 said:

Always struggle to remember their switchover point, was just one blur of horror.

Highlight was Darie assisting Adeloye after about 30 seconds in to his first game in charge went down hill rather quickly after that 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Just been sent a screenshot from the SRE page where a guy said he wouldn’t take Bowyer because “he didn’t smile once at Dundee last year”. 

Honestly the best opinion I think I’ve ever read. 

Is it the same guy that’s questioning why davie white is in caretaker charge? Someone pointed out he’s been in charge 3 times and has a 100%unbeaten run but he says he never helped bullen 🤦 

total rocket…

Put this in the wrong thread!

Given loans ending and Frankie being at AFCON, the new manager is coming into a bit of a clusterfuck squad wise. 

- Only five defenders, with absolutely no cover at LB. 
- Two poor right backs. 
- If they decide they want to play three in the middle of the park, well - they only have three of them. Two of whom probably struggle to have twenty senior starts between them. 
- Four strikers, yet only one is remotely competent. 

On the bright side, we do have some good options in the wide attacking midfield positions. 

Also - there are definitely question marks around our development of the academy players once they reach first team level. I don’t know who has the overall responsibility in terms of that but White definitely has a part with his role in the first team. 

2 minutes ago, wullieaufc said:

Someone having a go at White’s record of players making the grade from the Academy as well 

It’s definitely a question that can be asked. Crawford, Forrest and McCowan (he came a wee bit later) have all done well but they were given chances by the manager or rather the manager was forced to use them. 

People harp about youth players being given a chance but when managers are under so much pressure why would they take the risk. I admire Bullen’s insistence on having youth players in the squad but they aren’t adding anything right now. Maybe the next manager will be able to get more out of Smith or Bryden but I can’t help feel we let a good one good in Kinlay Bilham. 

Realistically we probably won’t produce another Alan Forrest for another 10 years but that’s the standard they need to be at in order to make it.