The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I suppose the one thing going for Sanders is that he is relatively young for a centre half - he has only just turned 25 and has not played a lot of football so there should be lots of development in him. 

There is definitely something there - he can look good on the ball and be dominant. We have just seen too much of the other side of him. 

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Surely Josh Clarke is not going to be especially keen to leave Celtic to sign for a Championship side who more often than not are fighting relegation anyway?

I'd be extremely hesitant to ascribe any long-term transfer strategy to Brown based on the handful of players he managed to get in when he started, which to reiterate was after the transfer window had shut.

If he’s out of contract then I’m sure he’d be a realistic target.

I think Brown has done ok in terms of signings. He’s had far more hits than Bullen had in his first January window. FWIW I think only McGinley and Clarke were signed after January. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I suppose the one thing going for Sanders is that he is relatively young for a centre half - he has only just turned 25 and has not played a lot of football so there should be lots of development in him. 

There is definitely something there - he can look good on the ball and be dominant. We have just seen too much of the other side of him. 

I don’t think he’s been great but given where he’s came from there seems to be a constant target on his back with fans ready to jump on it. 

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Surely Josh Clarke is not going to be especially keen to leave Celtic to sign for a Championship side who more often than not are fighting relegation anyway?

I'd be extremely hesitant to ascribe any long-term transfer strategy to Brown based on the handful of players he managed to get in when he started, which to reiterate was after the transfer window had shut.

He’s out of contract in the summer so Celtic won’t give a f**k. If hes not been signed up by now, he’s a free agent in 3 weeks. 

Brown had a week to bring players in based on Glendinnigs advice and his contacts. He had earned the grace to have a summer window to build a squad the best he can. A couple of good signings early could settle some nerves. 

33 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

So we’re going to have goalkeepers of Clarke and Mutch signed up, with defenders of McAllister, Reading, Sanders, McGinty and Stanger. What could possibly go wrong haha. 

Add in Mckenzie and Bryden and that's the core of our team next year, leaving enough room for some loans to come in alongside Dowds signature. 

Ayr United are pleased to announce the pricing for next season. Season tickets will be reasonably priced at £350 and the walk up price will be £25. As a statement of intent, we’d be delighted to announce the signing of Jack Fucking Sanders and his mad bag of tricks on a 3 year deal. 

33 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He’s out of contract in the summer so Celtic won’t give a f**k. If hes not been signed up by now, he’s a free agent in 3 weeks.

A free agent whose CV has "Celtic" on it. It's not as if he's going to stacking shelves in Aldi if Ayr don't give him a deal. If he stays then it'll be the Brown effect more than anything considering that Ayr demonstrated over the last two seasons that they weren't offering remotely competitive contracts at this level.

11 minutes ago, Only me... said:

Add in Mckenzie and Bryden and that's the core of our team next year, leaving enough room for some loans to come in alongside Dowds signature. 

denholm-reynholm-jump-out-of-the-window.gif

Edited by Thumper

51 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

So we’re going to have goalkeepers of Clarke and Mutch signed up, with defenders of McAllister, Reading, Sanders, McGinty and Stanger. What could possibly go wrong haha. 

57 goals conceded in the league this season, second highest in the league. I know it's a bit more complex than that but it can't be ignored.

Honestly if we don't learn anything from that then we can't complain next season.

13 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Ayr United are pleased to announce the pricing for next season. Season tickets will be reasonably priced at £350 and the walk up price will be £25. As a statement of intent, we’d be delighted to announce the signing of Jack Fucking Sanders and his mad bag of tricks on a 3 year deal. 

You had me there up to the Sanders bit. It went up two quid last season so you'd think it'd be the same this season so not far off.

52 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Sanders right now reminds me alot of McGinty when he started after signing for us.

Has an aerial prescence but is an absolute bomb scare at the back, usually gifting incredible goal scoring chances at least once a game.

McGinty had the worst of that coached out of him by Bullen. Maybe in the event Sanders did sign a permanent contract (jury still very much out on that in my opinion) Brown would do the same with Sanders?

Just now, Oceanlineayr said:

Sanders right now reminds me alot of McGinty when he started after signing for us.

Has an aerial prescence but is an absolute bomb scare at the back, usually gifting incredible goal scoring chances at least once a game.

McGinty had the worst of that coached out of him by Bullen. Maybe in the event Sanders did sign a permanent contract (jury still very much out on that in my opinion) Brown would do the same with Sanders?

Could we not maybe, just even once, possibly, think about signing a defender that isn't a bombscare? Do we have to always do it the hard way and look for a development challenge? We need some solid proven signings to accompany our new stand next season or the 5 year plan becomes a 10 year plan.

Just now, Only me... said:

Could we not maybe, just even once, possibly, think about signing a defender that isn't a bombscare? Do we have to always do it the hard way and look for a development challenge? We need some solid proven signings to accompany our new stand next season or the 5 year plan becomes a 10 year plan.

If Glendinning is still calling the shots for recruitment this upcoming window we will get a 21 year old CB from West Cricketon FC*.......

*Insert any English non league team you've never heard of.

25 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

57 goals conceded in the league this season, second highest in the league. I know it's a bit more complex than that but it can't be ignored.

Not that there weren't a few instances of goalkeepers contriving to throw the ball into their own nets, but it could easily be argued that this could have been worse. The ruinous decision to somehow worsen the fullback situation in the summer along with the no-better-than-mediocre choices available at centra half wouldn't have left Craig Gordon with many clean sheets.

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Not that there weren't a few instances of goalkeepers contriving to throw the ball into their own nets, but it could easily be argued that this could have been worse. The ruinous decision to somehow worsen the fullback situation in the summer along with the no-better-than-mediocre choices available at centra half wouldn't have left Craig Gordon with many clean sheets.

We also managed to play large parts of this season with absolutely no protection from the midfield. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

We also managed to play large parts of this season with absolutely no protection from the midfield. 

And also with a continually rotating cast of forwards who struggle to score half a dozen goals a season.

This is very much the year zero of any alleged five year plans (i.e. the "before" part).

Scott Brown has comprehensively seen me off here by being baited by Callum into complaining about the wind and refusing to do so.

Also, as a late entry to the shooting-in-the-wrong end saga: perfectly sensible to want to swap ends for the first half if it means not kicking into a coastal hurricane.

9 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

If Glendinning is still calling the shots for recruitment this upcoming window we will get a 21 year old CB from West Cricketon FC*.......

*Insert any English non league team you've never heard of.

I think we will still see this player but not as many as we have had with Bullen. Brown seems to have no problem in dropping those who don't impress. We obviously need to gamble on some unknowns, but learn to restrict the numbers from previous years.

Just now, Only me... said:

I think we will still see this player but not as many as we have had with Bullen. Brown seems to have no problem in dropping those who don't impress. We obviously need to gamble on some unknowns, but learn to restrict the numbers from previous years.

Pretty obvious that the problem to a significant extent was what the club was willing to offer. Domestic targets knew what they could get elsewhere and so went and got it. Doesn't excuse the previous regime for signing players sight unseen.