The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Just out of interest, is it your opinion our strongest back four features Reading at left back?

At the minute yes, as Stanger and Musonda aren’t a great partnership and Devlin isn’t fit. If Hamilton signs then it changes things. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

At the minute yes, as Stanger and Musonda aren’t a great partnership and Devlin isn’t fit. If Hamilton signs then it changes things. 

So when Devin is fit, what's the strongest back four?

1 minute ago, Shibuya said:

So when Devin is fit, what's the strongest back four?

Depends how “done” he is. For experience I’d play him alongside McMann at centre half to see how he does. 

I don’t get the clamour to get Reading out the team. He was fine last season until his injury and having both him and McMann gives you plenty of options. If Hamilton signs then we’ve got four centre back and two full backs for each side. Thats a level of depth I don’t think I’ve ever seen in an Ayr team. At that point then I think you play Watret, Devlin/Stanger, Hamilton, McMann. 

If and when everyone is match fit and ready I’d like to see how we get on with:

McCann

Musonda 

Devlin

Watret

Despite his injury problems I think Musonda is the best centre half we have. That said Paddy was fine up until he got injured last season but I think against some of the better teams you can see his weaknesses in defending.

Edited by ecocme

As I said previously, Reading was fine last season, however he offers you nothing over the halfway line. McMann on Saturday got himself beyond opposition defenders and whipped in a couple of great crosses in the first half. For me, we are badly missing the kind of threat Macmillan and Milne have been at Thistle. I don't particularly understand signing a league winning full back and playing him out of position in favour of Reading. We were so poor last year we should be looking to improve across the park, there's no need for us to be playing guys out of position to accommodate someone who wouldn't get in to a lot of other Championship sides. 

Brown seems to get a free pass on here but if Bullen was still in charge everybody would be up in arms about the situation. 

8 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Brown seems to get a free pass on here but if Bullen was still in charge everybody would be up in arms about the situation. 

Good point. Recruitment seems improved (not difficult) but hardly exciting (bar Rus). McKenzie, Bryden and Reading still getting plenty of minutes tells its own story. We are stronger in attack but the defence still looks shaky so it looks like 3rd at best, 8th (hopefully) at worst.

27 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

As I said previously, Reading was fine last season, however he offers you nothing over the halfway line. McMann on Saturday got himself beyond opposition defenders and whipped in a couple of great crosses in the first half. For me, we are badly missing the kind of threat Macmillan and Milne have been at Thistle. I don't particularly understand signing a league winning full back and playing him out of position in favour of Reading. We were so poor last year we should be looking to improve across the park, there's no need for us to be playing guys out of position to accommodate someone who wouldn't get in to a lot of other Championship sides. 

What situation? We’ve added in every single position on the pitch that we needed to. Reading isn’t going to play every single game but if he does it’ll be because he’s deserving of it. Brown is only judging the players based on what he’s seen and he hasn’t seen a lot of Reading so giving him a chance seems fair enough. 

2 hours ago, Shibuya said:

Don't feel like Reading has been poor but I do think that McMann is a far better player and also is not a particularly great central defender. We all know this though and Brown appears to be the only guy watching who can't work it out. 

Think I would go with Browns thought rather than fans, he seems to be doing rather well with his selections so far 

Edited by Finlay21

5 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Think I would go with Browns thought rather then fans, he seems to be doing rather well with his selections so far 

It’s what fans do though and what the forum is all about. Plus the defence (and goalkeeper) so far is still looking a bit shaky IMO with the number of goals we’ve conceded but that’s all done now and it’s the league that counts. Looking forward to getting along tomorrow. 

Edited by ecocme

21 minutes ago, ecocme said:

It’s what fans do though and what the forum is all about. Plus the defence (and goalkeeper) so far is still looking a bit shaky IMO with the number of goals we’ve conceded but that’s all done now and it’s the league that counts. Looking forward to getting along tomorrow. 

Another couple of mistakes and Brown will decide he doesn't fancy Stone. 

28 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Think I would go with Browns thought rather than fans, he seems to be doing rather well with his selections so far 

I think it's valid to discuss the possibility that the manager can improve the first XI by dropping Paddy Reading for a guy who literally made the 2023/4 Championship team of the season playing in the same position. 

2 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

True..

but playing the best left back in the league as a centre half and a centre half (or Reading) at left back is, on the face of it, f**king mental?

Looking at our team that played Morton on the opening game last season we have dramatically improved. That game we started with McKenzie and Bryden up front. From the team that started that game only Reading (who shouldn’t be), Murphy and Dempsey are likely to start tomorrow. Musonda possibly if McMann is moved to LB but doubt that will be happening sadly.

Scott Brown has clearly been well backed to build his own team so can now start to be judged. Still think we’re a centre mid and back up striker away from competing for the title but there’s certainly plenty of reasons to be optimistic. This is most enthusiastic I’ve felt heading into a new season since our first season back up under McCall with Shankland leading the line. 

It's new season Eve, what will it bring joy, despair, excitement, disappointed, apathy, euphoria? Who knows but one thing is for sure we have more optimism this year than most let the rollercoaster of the championship begin Lets Fight Football GIF by Teleraptor

4 hours ago, Shibuya said:

We are playing good football and winning, of course he's getting a pass.  It's on everyone's mind though because it's brought up regularly. 

9 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

It's new season Eve, what will it bring joy, despair, excitement, disappointed, apathy, euphoria? Who knows but one thing is for sure we have more optimism this year than most let the rollercoaster of the championship begin Lets Fight Football GIF by Teleraptor

If I was to guess it'll be frustration.